Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/31/2006 7:25:10 PM EDT
I HATE it when this happens - I'll be looking up info about guns, and I'll end up on some wanker-website, that will tell you all about the "damages" caused by "virtual guns" in a "virtual environment."

Why can't these overgrown children simply head out to the range or their local shooting area and pop off a few REAL rounds?

They sound like real "l337-sp39k" "Counterstriker" - types.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:26:22 PM EDT
[#1]
fuck!!  you forgot about all the fucking airsoft shit out there too.  i'll try to get some info about a gun and all i get is info about the airsoft toy that rips off the real deal
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:28:03 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
fuck!!  you forgot about all the fucking airsoft shit out there too.  i'll try to get some info about a gun and all i get is info about the airsoft toy that rips off the real deal

I had an epiphany the other day, and I finally understand airsoft.

It is CosPlay, without the furries, nothing else.  

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:52:14 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Okay, Doc, I'll bite. WTH is "CosPlay?"
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:53:35 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Short answer: Teh Ghey

Long Answer:

Wiki:
Cosplay (コスプレ kosupure), a contraction (or portmanteau) of the English words "costume" and "play", is a Japanese subculture centered on dressing as characters from manga, anime, tokusatsu, and video games, and, less commonly, Japanese live action television shows, Japanese movies, or Japanese pop music bands. However, in some circles, "cosplay" has been expanded to mean simply wearing a costume.

In Japan, "cosplay" as a hobby is usually an end unto itself. Likeminded people gather to see other costumes, show off their own elaborate handmade creations, take lots of pictures, and possibly participate in best costume contests.

The most specific anecdote about the origin of the word "cosplay" was that Nov Takahashi (from a Japanese studio called Studio Hard) coined the term "cosplay" as a contraction of the English-language words "costume play" while he was attending the 1984 Los Angeles Science Fiction Worldcon. He was so impressed by the hall and masquerade costuming there that he reported about it frequently in Japanese science fiction magazines. This ultimately triggered Japanese cosplay. This point is debatable, however, as the word fits in with a common Japanese method of abbreviation: combining the first two syllables of one word with the first two syllables of a second word (or, more precisely, the first two moras of each). Other examples of this include Pokémon (ポケモン, short for ポケットモンスター, or "Pocket Monster") and puroresu (プロレス, short for プロレスリング, or "professional wrestling.").

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:57:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Holy Crap! It's like German:

"Geheim Staats Politzei" became GeStaPo, "Volks Politzei" became the "VoPo," etc.

Hmmm. I wonder why they were allies in the war?
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:59:54 PM EDT
[#6]
I have found this same crap more than a few times.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 8:00:33 PM EDT
[#7]
AND>...... f'n search engine results that are themself another search engine with their results! WTF!!!!

AND>.....F'n sites that pay to have thier lame crap listed first
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 8:01:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 9:57:59 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am apparently such a super-nerd, that I assume others understand my arcane langauge

N_T explained it well.  Essentially "fanboys" dressing out and acting out their fantasies.  Airsoft appears to be no different, with people dressing up as "Special Forces" and such and going on "Missions" and "Ops" with all their fake costumes and props.

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 10:08:36 PM EDT
[#10]
ampgaurd
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top