Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/30/2006 10:24:36 AM EDT
Service guy at the 'Yota dealership is suggesting I get my transmission and power steering fluids "flushed."

I'm thinking the only thing getting flushed is my money.

Supposedly "flushed" is better than "drained" as it gets out all the existing fluid - which they say is "dark."

To do both PS and tranny they want $250.

Sounds like a rip to me.

Thoughts?

Link Posted: 3/30/2006 10:33:02 AM EDT
[#1]
buy the fluids and do it yourself.  
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 10:40:59 AM EDT
[#2]
PS fluid is easy to do yourself for the cost of the fluid.  Engine off, front wheels off the ground.  Find the reservoir, remove the return line, plug the hole in the reservoir, put the return line in a jar, add new fluid as someone else turns the steering wheel back and forth.  Don't let air get sucked into the intake line.

Stop, replace return line, and fill reservoir fluid when the output is reasonably clear.

I have always had transmission fluid flushed, not just drained, and it cost $70 or so.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 11:02:12 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I have always had transmission fluid flushed, not just drained, and it cost $70 or so.

Dealership wanted a buck and a quarter.

There's a local Toyota expert who I bet will do it for less.

Link Posted: 3/30/2006 11:12:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Just a transmission fluid draining of the pan and filter change on most cars will only get about 1/3 to 1/4 of the total ATF fluid out.
The flushing method should change out the entire volume of the fluid and if they are reputable they should flush until the fluid coming out is the same color as new ATF.
You should be able to get it done much cheaper at Jiffy Lube or the like.
You can acheive the same thing by draining the ATF pan, measure fluid that comes out, replace with new, then drive for a day and repeat for several times until the fluid after driving for a day looks like new.
Most Toyotas have the drain plug in the automatic transmission pan.
My 1991 Camry that I drive every day does.
After this flushing, I drain and replace the ATF fluid from the pan each time I change the motor oil- every 3,000 miles.
I also change the ATF filter once a year.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top