Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/30/2006 10:18:03 AM EDT
I have to take two semesters of a foreign language and thought a middle eastern language might be fun (learn about our enemies right?). Which one is the most common in that region?
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 10:19:22 AM EDT
[#1]
I assume Arabic.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 10:19:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Camelese... or is that Camel Joe? Or camel toe maybe?
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 10:20:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Farsi
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 10:21:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Not even posted for COC violation.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 10:22:23 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I assume Arabic.

I assume that to, but want to be sure. Anyone whose been over there know?
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 10:22:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Arabic or Farsi.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 10:24:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Why not the language of the Victors?

Hebrew.

Eric The(Meshugganah)Hun
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 10:25:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Well, Farsi isn't offered, so I guess I'll do Arabic. Thanks everyone.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 10:26:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Pashtun , if its offered and Farsi is not.

Link Posted: 3/30/2006 10:27:14 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

How about Urdu, Kurdish, Albanian, Aramaic,etc.?
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 10:27:31 AM EDT
[#11]
You should take spanish so you will be better suited to serve your new overlords.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 10:29:13 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
You should take spanish so you will be better suited to serve your new overlords.

Link Posted: 3/30/2006 10:29:16 AM EDT
[#13]
French should be close enough.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 10:32:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Look up the CIA Factbook for various Middle Eastern countries.  Take the language that is most common.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 10:38:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Farsi is good as Iran may be "next".

As I now make the post from hell!
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 10:43:15 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Look up the CIA Factbook for various Middle Eastern countries.  Take the language that is most common.

I tried that, but there isn't a common one. These people speak to many damn languages. No wonder they hate each other.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Looks like Arabic and Aramaic are the only two offered.

ETA: Looks like they dropped Aramaic. Arabic it will have to be.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 10:45:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Arabic, I've taken some and learned the script, but forgot a lot of it.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 10:46:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Durka, of course.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 10:52:01 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted: Durka, of course.

A double major in acting and foreign languages, why you're the perfect weapon!
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 10:58:30 AM EDT
[#20]
Arabic. Very good language to know
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 10:58:54 AM EDT
[#21]
As far as WOT applications...

1. Arabic
2. Farsi
3. Pashtun
4. Urdu

In that order.

Link Posted: 3/30/2006 10:59:07 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Hebrew.

Eric The(Meshugganah)Hun

Shadayim!
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 11:01:05 AM EDT
[#23]
"What middle eastern language should I take?"

edit

To anyone I may have offened with the unedited content of this post; please accept my humble apology. To the thread author, I apologize for getting your thread locked bcause of my pointless and insulting comment.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 11:02:35 AM EDT
[#24]
CC violation
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 11:24:06 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 11:29:25 AM EDT
[#26]
Bump for all to see.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 11:46:09 AM EDT
[#27]
Chinese (Mandarin) or Korean...

But if you're stuck on Arabic, here's some more info: Wikipedia; Arabic Language
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 12:27:02 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Hebrew.

Eric The(Meshugganah)Hun

Not to act like a spelling nazi or dupe idiot, but Meshugganah is not Hebrew it's Yiddish. Which is basically German. Like the word Schmuck, It's just German for "ornament". All those words are just german sounding like Schpiel, putz, faygala and  schtup. I have friends from "persia" who only Speak Farsi and Hebrew, they have no clue what any of those things mean.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 12:34:45 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I tried that, but there isn't a common one. These people speak to many damn languages. No wonder they hate each other.

Arabic is by far the most common language of the region, I believe it is in fact the 5th language overall in terms of native speakers(1. Chinese, 2. English, 3. Spanish, 4. hell if I know). The major problem you will have is that what you will learn in school is Modern Standard Arabic(MSA)... while this may be helpful if you are watching Al-Jaziira and writing academic papers, you will find that you will need to learn a dialect of Arabic too. Trust me, the dialects can be pretty far away from the standard in how they use emphasis on syllables, to pronunciation of letters, to idiosyncracies in their grammar that differ from MSA.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Make sure you make some friends among native speakers; if you are Muslim, helps to find a Muslim who speaks it, if you are Christian, try to find a Christian who speaks it; if you don't, you end up with a shitload of problems in regards to how people will deal with you.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 12:40:05 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Arabic is by far the most common language of the region, I believe it is in fact the 5th language overall in terms of native speakers(1. Chinese, 2. English, 3. Spanish, 4. hell if I know). The major problem you will have is that what you will learn in school is Modern Standard Arabic(MSA)... while this may be helpful if you are watching Al-Jaziira and writing academic papers, you will find that you will need to learn a dialect of Arabic too. Trust me, the dialects can be pretty far away from the standard in how they use emphasis on syllables, to pronunciation of letters, to idiosyncracies in their grammar that differ from MSA.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Make sure you make some friends among native speakers; if you are Muslim, helps to find a Muslim who speaks it, if you are Christian, try to find a Christian who speaks it; if you don't, you end up with a shitload of problems in regards to how people will deal with you.

Roger that. Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 12:58:37 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I didn't know anybody even spoke Aramaic as their native language any more, and Urdu is Hindic IIRC.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 1:00:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Take Arabic DO NOT take Aramaic. The only place in the entire middle east that still speaks Aramaic is a small village in Syria called "Ma'alula." But let me warn you, Arabic is not an easy language. There are many letters that foreingers have a hard time pronouncing. What you will learn in school is Modern Standard Arabic (MSA). MSA is basically Arabic in the reading and writing. It is different from colloquial Arabic. As far as colloquial arabic goes, each region has its own dialect. The Syrian, Lebanese, Palestinian dialect is called Levantine. The Saudis, Qataris, Kuwatis, etc... all speak another dialect (Called Khalijee). And the Egyptians and North Africans are a different story. Good Luck.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 1:05:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Deleted because I misread a post.

For all you who have been suggesting Aramaic.  Aramaic is a fascinating language (very similar to Hebrew) for those who are interested in studying the Ancient Near East or Middle East.  The current number of speakers is extremely small.  
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 1:23:01 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
As far as WOT applications...

1. Arabic
2. Farsi
3. Pashtun
4. Urdu

In that order.

+1; the more languages you learn, the better. Learn those first, then you can learn to differentiate a speaker by the grammar and phonetics he/she uses to determine what part of the Middle East he/she comes from (good for figuring our if the guy you stopped at your checkpoint with an Iraqi passport is really an Iraqi or a Syrian trying to sneak into the country to play Martyr.)

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 1:24:15 PM EDT
[#35]
The new language of course! Radioactive Iranian!
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 1:40:43 PM EDT
[#36]
Arabic.
It's not so hard, and a lot less confusing than Farsi.

Learn about our enemies?
Oh boy, you are in for a treat.
Prepare to have some stereotypes shattered.

ETA: As others have said, MSA is different than colloquial.
I personally prefer colloquial, mostly because I''m lazy and I don't can't remember the proper conjugations of verbs, so I just use them in the ifinitive.
My professor gets a kick out of it - he told me I speak like a dock worker.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 1:42:58 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Too funny.
"These people"
You are in for a hell of a ride friend, especially when you realize that "these people" are not one big camel riding race.
Too funny.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 1:48:20 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Arabic.
It's not so hard, and a lot less confusing than Farsi.

Learn about our enemies?
Oh boy, you are in for a treat.
Prepare to have some stereotypes shattered.

+1

I have found that while Arabic culture does definitely have its problems(there is somewhat of a Japanese style superiority complex and honor system) a lot of Arabs are some of the nicest people you will meet; if you go to the Middle East and meet with and be friendly with people, you might not have to buy your own meals during your stay(generous hospitality is a pretty common Arab trait).

And, Arabic, while being quite a bit different in vocabulary, really isn't too hard to learn; I will admit, getting used to the whole, "in common English you can leave *this and this* out, but in Arabic you have to maintain it" is sometimes aggrevating..

btw, doctors308, is it okay if I discuss some Arabic grammar issues I am having over IM; definitely helps to have someone who is not a native speaker explain certain things.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 1:54:09 PM EDT
[#39]

There are many letters that foreingers have a hard time pronouncing.

to the OP:

don't let this discourage you though; a lot of the letters that are hard at first to pronounce and catch in listening become drastically easier when you become more in tune with the language... and your throat(ع is a royal pita for some, along with غ)

What you will learn in school is Modern Standard Arabic (MSA). MSA is basically Arabic in the reading and writing. It is different from colloquial Arabic. As far as colloquial arabic goes, each region has its own dialect.

You know, I have always thought that the dialects differed quite a bit, but how much of this is true(you sound like you have taken Arabic, or maybe even are a native speaker).

The Syrian, Lebanese, Palestinian dialect is called Levantine. The Saudis, Qataris, Kuwatis, etc... all speak another dialect (Called Khalijee). And the Egyptians and North Africans are a different story. Good Luck.

Oh, again to the OP:

If you want to know what dialect you will definitely want to learn first, if you are into Arabic for anti-terror reasons: learn Khalijee, since most of the bastards you will deal with are from Saudi Arabia; Levantine is almost as useful, as Syrians are also high on the list of "where do these terrorists come from" list.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:43:11 PM EDT
[#40]
Punjabi or Urdu or even Hindi.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top