Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/29/2006 5:43:03 PM EDT
What do you guys know about sheds?

I know a couple of people with Tuff Sheds and they are very well built, but do they last any longer than galvanized steel or vinyl covered steel? They are impressive, I have to admit.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:48:20 PM EDT
[#1]
build a wooden shed .

Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:51:17 PM EDT
[#2]
The house we bought doesnt have a garage. It only has a shed. It fucking sucks,thats what i know about them.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:52:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Tuff Sheds are wooden, which is probably why they are about twice as expensive as steel.

Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:53:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Concrete blocks.  No termites, fireproof, decent theft deterent with proper locks.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:54:54 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
The house we bought doesnt have a garage. It only has a shed. It fucking sucks,thats what i know about them.

We want something in addition to the garage. Over the long term, it's cheaper to store our extra crap in the shed than in storage i.e. the 20K rounds of surplus .223 and .308 I have in the garage.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:55:47 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Concrete blocks.  No termites, fireproof, decent theft deterent with proper locks.

Probably need a building permit for that, right?
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:56:05 PM EDT
[#7]
im pretty sure you dont get snow there... but here in MN i wish i had mine up on blocks to keep water out.

only real solid advice i have... if you think you need an 8X10 shed, get a 10X12 cause they are never big enough
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:56:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Get one with at least a 6' tall doorway, and least 8'x8' in floor size.  I think small skylights are a real good idea in a shed.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:57:11 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Yup.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 9:11:41 AM EDT
[#10]
I bought a TUFFSHED.

I don't have the spare time to build a shed, I spent three weekends, several after work nights, painting and shelving it top to bottom. My sons spent plenty of hours working on it with me.

I would really recommend them. Don't buy the tuff shed from home depot or lowes...they sell for the same price but use particle board instead of  plywood.

Tuffshed made the door 6'8" for me at no extra charge

I spent $500 on the wood alone for the shelving, If I bought the wood for the shed, the roofing and if I could buy the steel beams that they set the shed up on I don't think that I could make up the difference in cost.
Let alone the time to $ ratio saved.

As far as the cinder block Hell Yah!

I couldn't do it where I live...I needed a temporary shed and the city wouldn't permit the cinder block shed.

yes buy the biggest one you can ! I also bought the "tall barn" for extra space. Trust me you need every foot that you can get
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 9:14:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Here in Ms a person is measured by how many sheds he has on his property.  Looks of the shed are not important.  Never build 1 large well constructed shed, always build many small sheds of questionable structural integrity.  Bonus points if it is built out of either old pallets or has cardboard used in some inventive new way.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 9:55:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Tuff Sheds -- phffphfft.  I designed and built my own Storasaurus Rex!  I can hook my truck or a tractor to eye bolts on either end and drag it anywhere I want it.  It's 8' x 16' and never gets hotter inside than the ambient temperature.

Shrunken for 56K friendliness.  Click for bigger pics:

Link Posted: 3/30/2006 10:12:13 AM EDT
[#13]
20' or 40' shipping container if you have the space and no HOA restrictions-sells for about $2K and figure another $1.5-$2K for delivery and crane charges.  
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:50:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Yes.  Containers are the way to go.

Storasaurus Rex cost about half as much as a 20' container to build, but it took many hours of work.  But for me, the metalwork is what it's all about.  I just happened to end up with a usable storage building in the end.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top