Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/29/2006 10:58:38 AM EDT
Was anyone else forced to sing this queer song in grade school?

It just popped into my head suddenly and got stuck there.  It is amazing what obscure trivia the human brain can remember.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:08:34 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

It just popped into my head suddenly and got stuck there.  It is amazing what obscure trivia the human brain can remember.

Along with the Marines Hymn, Caisson Song, real Christmas Carols.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:09:19 PM EDT
[#2]
I have no idea what you're talking about.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:10:25 PM EDT
[#3]
i thought you were talking about Petoria!

Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:12:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes, I *was* forced to sing this ghey song.  I still hate it, and now I hate YOU for putting it back inside my head.

Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:14:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes, and I hated it too.

Same teacher made us square dance, which we all hated as well
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:18:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Look into the background behind the song. You might not think the song is so "ghey" after that.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:22:19 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
i thought you were talking about Petoria!

petoria.net/images/4ever.jpg

that's what I thought of at first - actually I'm still thinking it because I'm not so sure I know the song that he's talking about
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 7:24:12 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Look into the background behind the song. You might not think the song is so "ghey" after that.

Regardless of background, that song sucked then, sucks now and will suck for eternity.

Of course I was made to sing it in music class.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 7:33:04 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I dont think you'll find many Boer/Afrikaaner patriots around here.  So all that's left is the song on it's own musical merit, which isn't much.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 8:03:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 8:22:41 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Actually, my ancestors were Boers so I'm a fan of theirs.  Brits had to invent the concentration camp to subjugate them.  They kicked some Brit ass with superior marksmanship and built a heck of a country out of nothing but a bunch of grassland (well, with gold underneath it I suppose).  Then not 100 years later they gave it all away, hoping the world would reward them for acting on moral principle instead of practical necessity.  The world turned its back and promptly forgot all about them and now the place is a screaming bloody mess, just like the rest of the continent its located on.

Am I the only one who sees a lesson to be learned here?
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:06:39 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Along with the Marines Hymn, Caisson Song, real Christmas Carols.

I don't think you'll learn any of the three in a public school today, unless you had some ignorant hippy of a teacher who didn't understand the origins of the songs.

I still remember the theme to Gilligan's Island...both from the first season where the professor and Mary Ann got the shaft and were lumped under "all the rest" and the later version.  And the words to Dixie.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:15:08 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

"Wolverines"-- 80 years before Red Dawn:
www.diggerhistory.info/images/enemy/boers.jpg

is that Old_Painless in the bottom row, 2nd in from the left?
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 10:10:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Well, with any luck they'll suceed in changing the name and ya'll won't have to sing the song anymore:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pretoria

Link Posted: 3/29/2006 10:13:31 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Actually, my ancestors were Boers so I'm a fan of theirs.  Brits had to invent the concentration camp to subjugate them.  They kicked some Brit ass with superior marksmanship and built a heck of a country out of nothing but a bunch of grassland (well, with gold underneath it I suppose).  Then not 100 years later they gave it all away, hoping the world would reward them for acting on moral principle instead of practical necessity.  The world turned its back and promptly forgot all about them and now the place is a screaming bloody mess, just like the rest of the continent its located on.

But for awhile, South Africa was the country that propped up everything south of Rhodesia (look what became of THAT one) and kept it from degenerating into an economically impoverished, communist disaster.  Which is what it will be anyway, but not with MY family in charge.

Not to mention becoming Africa's only nuclear power (they gave THAT up too)...
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 6:58:49 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I dont think you'll find many Boer/Afrikaaner patriots around here.  So all that's left is the song on it's own musical merit, which isn't much.

The song isn't about them. It's about the British soldiers and pro-British allies marching to Pretoria to defeat the Boers.

It's about staving off defeatism in a war going badly.

At one point, it looked like the Empire was going to lose, and the Boers/Afrikaners and their allies off-stage, the Germans, might win. The Boers were quite adept with their Mauser rifles and Krupp long-range guns, and their cavalry were first rate. The British were getting beaten, and they really did think they might lose, and ignominiously, at that, to a bunch of filthy farmers.

Then the siege at Mafeking was lifted, then at Ladysmith, etc., and the whole war changed. The Boer War was a real wake-up call to the British about how awful warfare in the 20th century would be, and how hollow their army had become, since it hadn't fought a real enemy since Waterloo and the Crimea.

Oddly enough, the song became popular in the 1940s and 1950s because a leftwingfolk group, the Weavers, recorded it. They apparently saw it as an anti-apartheid song or something.

Then every single US elementary school had it in its music curriculum. I remember having to learn it and also Woody Guthrie's "This Land is My Land", and not knowing what either really was about until I was an adult, when I learned the rest of the verses....
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 7:09:38 AM EDT
[#17]
The Boar War gave us the word "Commando"and gave the world an appreciation for the Mauser.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 7:30:25 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Oddly enough, the song became popular in the 1940s and 1950s because a leftwingfolk group, the Weavers, recorded it. They apparently saw it as an anti-apartheid song or something.

Then every single US elementary school had it in its music curriculum. I remember having to learn it and also Woody Guthrie's "This Land is My Land", and not knowing what either really was about until I was an adult, when I learned the rest of the verses....

OK, now it's starting to make sense.

I hated "This Land" too.  We made our own lyrics:

This land is my land
this land ain't your land
I got shotgun
And you dont have one
if you dont get off
I'll blow your head off
this land was made for me, not you

Link Posted: 3/30/2006 11:57:23 AM EDT
[#19]
I have a South African friend who is a stunning and remarkable lady...lives in Jo'burg.  She had never heard of the song before.

The racial problems down there are out of sight.  They make the worst race relations in the history of the US look like nothing.

The whites down there have a generally very conservative outlook.  They'd fit right in in the deep south or the southwest here.  Work ethic, same outlook on capitalism and personal responsibility, and language..it is a form of English, I think.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 12:04:09 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Okay, Bucko.

For that, I'm writing your name down.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 12:07:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Ah and what great diplomate became a prisoner of the Boers?

Later escaped,,,
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 12:10:34 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Ah and what great diplomate became a prisoner of the Boers?

Later escaped,,,

Winston Chruchill.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 12:13:52 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Yes.  And the teacher said it was a place in Illinois.

Link Posted: 3/30/2006 12:17:49 PM EDT
[#24]
FWIW:  It is now "We Are Marching to Tshwane."
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 1:15:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 2:37:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Tshwane was Pretoria
Now it's Tshwane, not Pretoria
Been a long time gone, Pretoria
Now it's violent crime any old time

Every gal in Pretoria
Lives in Tshwane, not Pretoria
So if you've a date in Pretoria
She'll be waiting in Tshwane

Even old New York
Was once New Amsterdam
Why they changed it I can't say
People just liked it better that way

So take me back to Pretoria
No, you can't go back to Pretoria
Now it's Tshwane, not Pretoria
Why did Pretoria get disused
That's nobody's business but the Bantus'

Do do do, do-do-do dododododo
  Oh, oh-oh-oh...
Do - Tshwane

So take me back to...

Tshwane!

Link Posted: 3/30/2006 3:59:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Speaking of the Boer's war, did anybody watch the movie "Morant's War" hing
I like the closing dialogue during the British officers' execution: "Shoot straight you bloody bastards!  Don't make a mess out of it".  I love the British, they're the only ture ally we have.  I don't care what the Irish and the former colonials say.  

Hail Britania, Jeeves and Bertie Wooster!
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 4:06:31 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Speaking of the Boer's war, did anybody watch the movie "Morant's War" .  Or something like that.  It was a great movie about three British soldiers who was prosecuted for killing a priest (under order).  They were the scapegoats.  Can anybody fill me in on the correct title.  I think it was called "Morant's War" or "Captain Morant" or something like that.

I like the closing dialogue during the British officers' execution: "Shoot straight you bloody bastards!  Don't make a mess out of it".  I love the British, they're the only ture ally we have.  I don't care what the Irish and the former colonials say.  

You mean this?

Good movie.  

But they weren't British officers, they were Australian.  
Gallipoli was another good one about Brits screwing Aussies.

Link Posted: 3/30/2006 4:09:04 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Okay, Bucko.

For that, I'm writing your name down.

Old_Painless has you on the list?
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:47:50 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Speaking of the Boer's war, did anybody watch the movie "Morant's War" .  Or something like that.  It was a great movie about three British soldiers who was prosecuted for killing a priest (under order).  They were the scapegoats.  Can anybody fill me in on the correct title.  I think it was called "Morant's War" or "Captain Morant" or something like that.

You mean this?

i2.tinypic.com/sn2j55.jpg

Good movie.  

Great film, again, the British saw what the 20th cent. was going to be like in warfare, but not everybody got the message in the Boer War. They had to figure it out in World Wars One AND Two. "Rule .303", indeed!

What-ho, Bertie!
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:50:57 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
and language..it is a form of English, I think.

It's Afrikaans IIRC, which is like the bastard child of twenty African languages and Dutch (which is itself the bastard child [well, cousin, but it sounds like the bastard child] of German and English).
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 4:27:22 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Speaking of the Boer's war, did anybody watch the movie "Morant's War" hing

You mean this?

i2.tinypic.com/sn2j55.jpg

Good movie.  

YES!!  "Breaker Morant".  Loved that movie.  THank you, JohnTheTexican!  Did you notice that they were carrying Lee-Metfords, not Lee_Enfields in that movie?  Just from that stand point alone, that movie rocks.  I need to get me an Enfield, now.  Mark 4 gotta be the fastest bolt gun ever made!

Thanks again, JohnTheTexican!
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 4:33:09 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Great film, again, the British saw what the 20th cent. was going to be like in warfare, but not everybody got the message in the Boer War. They had to figure it out in World Wars One AND Two. "Rule .303", indeed!

What-ho, Bertie! hr

What-ho 95thFoot!  I say!  Good heavens!  And I do say good heavens!  You know Bertie?  Jolly ole' chap, isn't he?  A little balmy, needs to be in some sort of a home and what not, but a good fellow indeed.  

Well, chin chin and down the hatch!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top