Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/28/2006 11:38:37 AM EDT
OK, I've been saving plastic 20oz bottles for reactive targets.  I put water w/ dish soap in a few, shook them up, and shot them with fairly good results (about 10 feet high w/ .223).  What other fluids, propellants, chemicals could I put in there cheap for better results, other than Napoleon_Tanerite?  I shoot on private land, so Fudds won't be a problem.

Link Posted: 3/28/2006 11:41:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Add some food coloring and freeze the water inside the bottles. They last longer and you can shoot the smaller ice chunks as they break off.

Link Posted: 3/28/2006 11:41:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Why not Tannerite?

Its pretty easy to make your own. I mix 1 cup of ammonium nitrate with a tablespoon of finely powdered aluminum, and they work great.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 11:43:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Fill the bottle with acetylene gas and shoot it with a tracer round.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 11:47:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Fill a 2-liter bottle with small rodents.  After the first shot, the target degrades into lots of little moving targets.  
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 11:48:00 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Why not Tannerite?

Its pretty easy to make your own. I mix 1 cup of ammonium nitrate with a tablespoon of finely powdered aluminum, and they work great.

I imagine I could get the ammonium nitrate as stump dust at Home Depot, what about the finely powdered aluminim?
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 11:48:16 AM EDT
[#6]
nitroglycerin works wonders.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 11:49:48 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Why not Tannerite?

I imagine I could get the ammonium nitrate as stump dust at Home Depot, what about the finely powdered aluminim?

I got mine off of eBay. Firework/pyrotechic supply comapnies also sell it. You want VERY fine AL powder (it comes in different grades).
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 11:49:55 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Why not Tannerite?

Stump remover is potassium nitrate, not ammonium nitrate.

Aluminum powder can be bought off of Ebay
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 3:09:12 PM EDT
[#9]
I would try a little bit of dry ice and water.. good stuff
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 3:18:47 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Fill the bottle with acetylene gas and shoot it with a tracer round.

Fill the bottle instead with a stoichiometric mix of oxygen and acetylene,
and you can shoot it with any supersonic bullet.

Ka-freak'in-Boom

Link Posted: 3/28/2006 3:43:43 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Why not Tannerite?

Tell us more, please.  Where can we get the ingrediants to make us some reactive targets?

Travis
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 3:47:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 3:48:36 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Why not Tannerite?

Tell us more, please.  Where can we get the ingrediants to make us some reactive targets?

Travis

Your best bet for ammonium nitrate is to find it locally at a farm supply type place. Its only around $10 for a 50 lb bag. I could not find any locally, so I had to have it shipped to me. It was still only $10 for a 50 lb bag, but it also had $50 or more in shipping costs because it is considered hazardous.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 3:54:26 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Why not Tannerite?

Travis

Your best bet for ammonium nitrate is to find it locally at a farm supply type place. Its only around $10 for a 50 lb bag. I could not find any locally, so I had to have it shipped to me. It was still only $10 for a 50 lb bag, but it also had $50 or more in shipping costs because it is considered hazardous.

How much for the Aluminum?

Thanks a bunch,

Travis
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 4:00:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Can you use the very fine for paint?

Thats all I see on E-bay.

Travis
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 5:26:28 PM EDT
[#17]
So in theory, if you used some of the stuff that makes "color" in fireworks, would it work in these targets?

Travis
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 5:28:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Oh yeah, THANKS!, Roland(I am guessing from your avtar, or are you just a fan?)

Travis
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top