Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/27/2006 4:23:39 PM EDT
About how much does it cost usually to ship a case of say M193 or M855 through UPS?  About $25 dollars or so?
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 4:25:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Fit it in one of the USPS flat rate boxes and its only $7.77  
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 5:15:53 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Too bad that shipping ammunition via USPS is prohibited. Per the 2006 USPS Customer's Guide:

Keep the Mail Safe: Hazardous and Restricted Materials
Some things cannot be mailed or can be mailed only in small quantities for safety and legal
reasons. Some items have restrictions on how they can be mailed including:
· Aerosol cans
· Firearms
· Flammable materials
· Liquids and powders
· Lottery tickets
· Poisons

Some items, however, are not permitted in the mail including:
· Alcohol and liquor
· Ammunition
· Drug paraphernalia
· Fireworks and other explosives

For ammuntion, you are limited to either UPS Ground or FEDEX Ground. Ammunition cannot be shipped air. The cost depends on the distance and the weight of the shipment. Make sure you package it correctly too:

Code of Federal Regulations, Title 49, Part 173

173.63 Packaging exceptions

(b) Cartridges, small arms, and cartridges power devices. (1) Cartridges, small arms and cartridges power devices (which are used to project fastening devices) which have been classed as a Division 1.4S explosive may be reclassed, offered for transportation, and transported as ORM-D material when packaged in accordance with paragraph (b)(2) of this section; such transportation is excepted from the requirements of subparts E (Labeling) and F (Placarding) of part 172 of this subchapter. Cartridges, small arms, and cartridges power devices that may be shipped as ORM-D material is limited to:

(i) Ammunition for rifle, pistol, or shotgun;
(ii) Ammunition with inert projectiles or blank ammunition;
(iii) Ammunition having no tear gas, incendiary, or detonating explosive projectiles;
(iv) Ammunition not exceeding 12.7 mm (50 caliber or 0.5 inch) for rifle or pistol, cartridges or 8 gauge for shotshells; and
(v) Cartridges power devices which are use to project fastening devices.

(2) Packaging for cartridges, small arms, and cartridges power devices as ORM-D material must be as follows:
(i) Ammunition must be packed in inside boxes, or in partitions which fit snugly in the outside packaging, or in metal clips;
(ii) Primers must be protected from accidental initiation;
(iii) Inside boxes, partitions or metal clips must be packed in securely-closed strong outside packagings;
(iv) Maximum gross weight is limited to 30 Kg (66 pounds) per package; and
(v) Cartridges, power devices which are used to project fastening devices and 22 caliber rim-fire cartridges may be packaged loose in strong outside packagings.

Part 172 (Marking)

172.316 Packagings containing material classed as ORM-D

(a) Each non-bulk packaging containing a material classed as ORM-D must be marked on at least one side or end with the ORM-D designation immediately following or below the proper shipping name of the material (Cartridges, Small Arms). The ORM designation must be placed within a rectangle that is approximately 6.3 mm (0.25 inches) larger on each side than the designation.

(b) The marking ORM-D is the certification by the person offering the packaging for transportation that the material is properly described, classed, packaged, marked and labeled (when appropriate) and in proper condition for transportation according to the applicable regulations of this subchapter.

Link Posted: 3/27/2006 5:16:54 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Too bad that shipping ammunition via USPS is prohibited. Per the 2006 USPS Customer's Guide:

They dont ask..........  Ive done it.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 5:17:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Gotta go UPS.  IIRC FedEx won't touch it either.  Price is dependant on weight and shipping method.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 5:28:50 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I know, but unfortunately it's the shipper's responsibility to disclose the shipment of hazmat when presenting the package for shipping, and ammo is considered hazmat. I everthing goes smooth, then no one's the wiser, but if the package breaks open or it's run thru the xray scanner at the distribution center, there could be major problems. For the extra few $$, its not worth the risk for me.  YMMV
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 5:32:43 PM EDT
[#6]
I ordered 2 cases and it set me back 50 bucks on shipping.

Such is the price I pay to shoot.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 5:34:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Ammoman.com the price includes shipping!
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 5:42:07 PM EDT
[#8]
About 18 bucks per 1440 rounds of Guat.

Just ordered 2 cases [980 rounds each] of SA 7.62  and 1 case of Guat 5.56 [1440 rounds] and shipping was about $45 bucks.

So say $15 bucks a K of 5.56.

I believe that It makes a difference how far it goes also.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 5:44:54 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Just ordered 2 cases [980 rounds each] of SA 7.62  and 1 case of Guat 5.56 [1440 rounds] and shipping was about $45 bucks.

That is exactly what I ordered. The funny thing is that I don't even own a .308 rifle.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 6:11:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Just shipped a 1220 case of old Norinco 7.62x39 in the wooden crate. Quote at UPS was $42! If I put it in a cardboard box it would drop it to $32. Weight was 50lbs. For the record loaded ammo is NOT considered hazmat, only primers and powder have the hazmat fee.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 6:25:31 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That is exactly what I ordered. The funny thing is that I don't even own a .308 rifle.

YET

Fixed it.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 6:26:55 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
For the record loaded ammo is NOT considered hazmat, only primers and powder have the hazmat fee.

That's incorrect. Loaded ammunition is considered Hazmat, but has no class number assigned and being a consumer commodity allows it to qualify for the ORM-D exemption to the hazmat fees and special handing requirements. However, Powder is a Class I while primers are a Class II hazmat material and are not ORM-D eligible, therefore the Hazmat fee.

ETA: USDOT Hazmat Classification Table  
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 6:40:04 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
About how much does it cost usually to ship a case of say M193 or M855 through UPS?  About $25 dollars or so?

$25.00.....that's great man....prepare to cough up.....shipping ammo sucks.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 6:50:53 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
For the record loaded ammo is NOT considered hazmat, only primers and powder have the hazmat fee.

That's incorrect. Loaded ammunition is considered Hazmat, but has no class number assigned and being a consumer commodity allows it to qualify for the ORM-D exemption to the hazmat fees and special handing requirements. However, Powder is a Class I while primers are a Class II hazmat material and are not ORM-D eligible, therefore the Hazmat fee.

I was refering to the "hazmat" charge added on to shippng fees.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 6:51:57 PM EDT
[#15]
I just shipped some cases of M193 and got prices of:

Rhode Island to PA - $15.00
Rhode Island to CA - $31.00
Rhode Island to TX - $22.00
Rhode Island to WA - $35.00

That was for 500 rds (13 lbs), picked up from my home, delivered to a residence, with Adult Signature Required. ($100 insurance included). So, it all depends on distance. It's easy enough to just go to the UPS website and get the actual cost. (There is no additional charge for ORM-D). You can save a few bucks if you drop the package off at a UPS Hub. Don't use a UPS Store or Shipping location, because they don't accept ammunition or firearms.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 6:53:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Just check last AIM Invoice. $17.00 for 1440 round case of Guat 5.56. Just about the same price as out 6% sales tax here.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 6:53:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Not a dime if you buy from Ammo man..
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 6:55:03 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

$25.00.....that's great man....prepare to cough up.....shipping ammo sucks.

Last week for shipping I paid:
$28 for 1440 rounds of Guat 5.56.
$29 for 2000 rounds of Q3131.
$56 for 1960 rounds of SA .308.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 6:58:14 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I was refering to the "hazmat" charge added on to shippng fees.

I see. I misinterpreted your post. That is correct, although ammo is Hazmat, it is exempt from the UPS Hazmat fee....at least for now.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 7:04:15 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Errrr.....

Cartridges for weapons, inert projectile 1.2C UN0328 II 1.2C  None 62 None Forbidden Forbidden 03  
Cartridges for weapons, inert projectile or Cartridges, small arms 1.4S UN0012 II None  63 62 None 25 kg 100 kg 05  
Cartridges for weapons, inert projectile or Cartridges, small arms 1.4C UN0339 II 1.4C  None 62 None Forbidden 75 kg 06  
Cartridges for weapons, inert projectile or Cartridges, small arms 1.3C UN0417 II 1.3C  None 62 None Forbidden Forbidden 06
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 11:06:33 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You have just confessed to shipping an undeclared hazardous material shipment. The minimum civil fine for such a shipment is $15,000.00 per day for each day the shipment is in transit.  That doesn't include any criminal penalties.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 11:13:33 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Not a dime if you buy from Ammo man..

Really?

I thought that since his prices were about 15% or more higher than other suppliers that it was to cover shipping.

Balming
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 3:27:39 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Errrr.....

Cartridges for weapons, inert projectile 1.2C UN0328 II 1.2C  None 62 None Forbidden Forbidden 03  
Cartridges for weapons, inert projectile or Cartridges, small arms 1.4S UN0012 II None  63 62 None 25 kg 100 kg 05  
Cartridges for weapons, inert projectile or Cartridges, small arms 1.4C UN0339 II 1.4C  None 62 None Forbidden 75 kg 06  
Cartridges for weapons, inert projectile or Cartridges, small arms 1.3C UN0417 II 1.3C  None 62 None Forbidden Forbidden 06

Those are not the designations of the ammo being discussed. Those above are for "Cartridges for Weapons", a completely different category. I never bothered to look up the category definitions. The UN # would have to be looked up to find out the exactly what the category encompasses. The correct category is:

D Cartridges, small arms..... ORM-D ................. ....... 
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 3:31:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top