Link Posted: 3/26/2006 11:18:37 PM EDT
[#1]
It was what I expected.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 11:20:37 PM EDT
[#2]
What happened? Its blocked at work
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 11:21:32 PM EDT
[#3]
The Duc wins.  Hard to find any car that can compare to a bike, esp. on a road course.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 11:22:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Could have had um on the GS!
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 11:59:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Uh, was anyone suprised?

How about a 79 Nova vs a 2006 Harley Sportster?

Who cares?
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 12:12:20 AM EDT
[#6]
I expected the owners of both machines to be rich.

How did I fare?
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 12:14:16 AM EDT
[#7]
I had a E3 in my last unit who had the same bike.  
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 12:17:21 AM EDT
[#8]
i figured the bike would win
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 5:27:58 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
The Duc wins.  Hard to find any car that can compare to a bike, esp. on a road course.

Actually, it's not that hard. Sportrider did a shootout between an Acura NSX and a CBR900RR about 12 years ago and the car actually beat it on the road course. A good sportscar can usually run quicker through the turns because it can pull more G-force. I'm not a car guy either, but a longtime sportbike rider, so I'm partial to bikes. A F1 car with an average F1 driver would spank Valentino Rossi on a GP bike. I guess it all depends on a lot of different variables though.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 5:30:39 AM EDT
[#10]
And just think.  The Ducati is the least HP producing bike out of all the 1000's
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 5:31:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Not surprising on a track
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 5:40:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Man I love Top gear!

ETA: Anyone see the Z06's on "Test Drive" on Speed yesterday..They had Jeff Gordon and Johnny O'Connell wringing them out at 150+
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 5:53:52 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually, it's not that hard. Sportrider did a shootout between an Acura NSX and a CBR900RR about 12 years ago and the car actually beat it on the road course. A good sportscar can usually run quicker through the turns because it can pull more G-force. I'm not a car guy either, but a longtime sportbike rider, so I'm partial to bikes. A F1 car with an average F1 driver would spank Valentino Rossi on a GP bike. I guess it all depends on a lot of different variables though.

or an IRL or Champ car,

look at the lap times next time a bike race is run on a track that host car races, ike laguna seca,
cars have lower lap times every time,
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 5:55:51 AM EDT
[#14]
You guys are missing the biggest point.

Ducati 999 = ~$20,000

Lambo = ~165,000

Richman fast vs. Average man fast.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 6:19:04 AM EDT
[#15]
The tires on the lambo sucked big time and the track was probably very dirty so the car couldn't use it's lateral G advantage.  That tiny little track is going to give the bike the best shot at being close to the car.  Get on some place like Road Atlanta or Road America and a really good car will be long gone.  A top of the line Corvette would probably be easier to get a good lap out of.  Mid-engined cars are very hard to drive at the limit as evidenced by all the pics on the 'net of them torn to bits. The driver had the lambo on the green bits on the warm up lap.

rj
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 6:26:47 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I expected the owners of both machines to be rich.

How did I fare?

Ducati 999R 12,000 Pounds vs Lambo at 10X that.

The difference is a so-so driver in a Lambo would take a good bike driver. You have to be a great rider to get great times. Bikes are far less forgiving than cars.

Bikes, even racing bikes, corner with the same G rating as middile of the road cars, appx .75G. The difference is made up because the bike can accelerate much quicker out of the turns. The Lambo is probably cornering in the 1.0-1.1G range.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 6:28:11 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
You guys are missing the biggest point.

Ducati 999 = ~$20,000

Lambo = ~165,000

Richman fast vs. Average man fast.

Yeah, sport bikes are definitely the most bang for the buck. And it's all technology that comes from the racetrack.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 6:33:58 AM EDT
[#18]
I'm surprised as cars corner much better than bikes...
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 6:47:24 AM EDT
[#19]
You people are forgeting the Ariel Atom. For about 60k you problably could spank both of them.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 6:56:27 AM EDT
[#20]
Lambo was driven by former Formula 1 and Le Mans (he was also 3rd overall at Daytona in 1997 with Lister Storm before gearbox problems dropped him to 19th) driver Tif Needell. Ducati was ridden by a bike journalist (MotorCycleNews) Kevin Smith who has no such racing pedigree.
All talk about the car having crap tires and such is complete bollox. The bike was simply faster, period.
5 years ago Kevin Schwantz did a similar test, he drove both Corvette Z-06 and Suzuki GSXR1000 around Willow Springs, Suzuki won easily, by 7.8 seconds. They had telemetry on both vehicles so they could see that only in one corner the car cornered faster, all other corners (not to mention the straight bits) the bike was faster.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 7:18:00 AM EDT
[#21]
It will depend on the course, the weather conditions, the drivers. Both are impressive machines. R-compounds on the Gallardo will make take about 1 second off per lap mile, but it is still as others have said not going to beat something like a Z06 at the track.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 8:56:57 AM EDT
[#22]
Car and Driver did a comparison a couple years ago between a Z06 and a GSXR1000. The GSXR1000 won everything but the one lap track time. They compared the Z06 at 56K to the GSXR100 at 10K and proclaimed the GSKR1000 the winner by bang for the buck performance.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 8:59:15 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Car and Driver did a comparison a couple years ago between a Z06 and a GSXR1000. The GSXR1000 won everything but the one lap track time. They compared the Z06 at 56K to the GSXR100 at 10K and proclaimed the GSKR1000 the winner by bang for the buck performance.

That was the old Z06, a completly different monster. In fact it would just compare to the new standard vette.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 9:21:05 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

All talk about the car having crap tires and such is complete bollox. The bike was simply faster, period..

Put them both on slicks and run enough laps to get them up to temp and then do the timed lap. The car will be so far ahead the bike won't even know what happened.  

rj
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 9:32:26 AM EDT
[#25]
I had a Ducati.  Yellow 748 with a TON of extras  Until a old fart decided to change lanes even though I was occuping the lane he wanted to be in.    Insurance paid the bike off and gave me less than 75% of medical bills and about 50% of the 10K in extras I had on it.  I was supposed to get the bike back but OOPs.  It was "accidently sold" .  Someone got an awesome track bike for $2500.  

Sons-of-bitches

Riding around here sucked anyway.  Cops everywhere.  I was in Japan for 4 yrs with it and was pulled over once for doing 120kph in a 40kph zone...  

Jap cop: "Speed limito 40...  You, 120 Too fast, too fast.  Please, more slow.  Cool bike, cool helmet"

Thanks

I miss Japan and I miss my bike
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 9:35:01 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

All talk about the car having crap tires and such is complete bollox. The bike was simply faster, period..

Put them both on slicks and run enough laps to get them up to temp and then do the timed lap. The car will be so far ahead the bike won't even know what happened.  

rj

I dunno.  I thnk the results would be the same.  Slicks on a Superbike are good for atleast 1sec/lap.  They really should have matched the Lambo up against the class leader.  GSXR1000
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 9:37:41 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

rj

Dream on.
Both had top quality street legal race tyres up to working temperature, these guys know what they are doing.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 9:38:50 AM EDT
[#28]
Wow, cool!
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 9:48:09 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

rj

Dream on.
Both had top quality street legal race tyres up to working temperature, these guys know what they are doing.

Yes, plus, except for the Atom and IRL cars, the lambo is going to lose in the 60-180mph range too.  Toss an R1 or Gixxer in that mix and ooops, car is going to get smoked.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 9:59:11 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
i figured the bike would win

+1
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 10:06:08 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 11:13:12 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
The tires on the lambo sucked big time and the track was probably very dirty so the car couldn't use it's lateral G advantage.  That tiny little track is going to give the bike the best shot at being close to the car.  Get on some place like Road Atlanta or Road America and a really good car will be long gone.  A top of the line Corvette would probably be easier to get a good lap out of.  Mid-engined cars are very hard to drive at the limit as evidenced by all the pics on the 'net of them torn to bits. The driver had the lambo on the green bits on the warm up lap.

rj

I'd disagree. Bike would like more straights where it can out accellerate/brake against the car.  Car might have top speed on the bike, but w/o sufficiently long straights, it'll never be able to capitalize on it.

Short curvy track will favor the car big time.  Any track with hi speed curves would also favor the car.

Randall
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 11:16:01 AM EDT
[#33]
There have been several of these over the years.  CycleWorld or one of the car mags did a Corevette ZR1 vs. Yamaha FZR1000.  They had several comparisons I think.  Something like dragstrip, skidpad G test, Willow Springs w stock tires and then with race rubber.  I seem to think that in general, the bike took it.  There was also some stat about the vette having the top end, but because of the accelleration of the fzr, it take an incredible number of miles for the car to catch up.  11 miles maybe?

Randall
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 11:48:15 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Yes, plus, except for the Atom and IRL cars, the lambo is going to lose in the 60-180mph range too.  Toss an R1 or Gixxer in that mix and ooops, car is going to get smoked.

+1 the Duc suxs comparatively speaking. The R1, GSXR, or RC would kill it STOCK!

Samuel
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top