Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/25/2006 8:47:15 PM EDT
I'm graduating HS this coming June, and my parents have asked me to research something along the lines of a low-end laptop (I already have a very high-end desktop) for my grad present, so I thought I'd ask for information. I'm a near-expert when it comes to desktop components for Windows-based computers, but know little about laptops.

The uses will mainly be internet and office software while traveling. The most graphics-intense game it would play would probably be GTA: San Andreas on low settings, and the hardest processing would probably be non-intensive Photoshop. I also intend to, when I get my amateur radio technician's license, run some of the software suggested in the appropriate threads, but I imagine those aren't very processor- or memory-intensive.

I may, at some point, use it to experiment with Linux, but that's not a definite.

Therefore, what I'm imagining is something along the lines of a el-cheapo from Newegg. Suggestions?
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 8:51:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Most systems are decent. I will advise against Averatec or the Compaq Presario or HP Pavillion. The low end models come apart after a while. Literally.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 8:16:08 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Most systems are decent. I will advise against Averatec or the Compaq Presario or HP Pavillion. The low end models come apart after a while. Literally.

HP hasn't ever made good PCs, have they? And my experiences with compaqs have always been bad. Never even HEARD of Averatec until now (well, I had, I just had no idea what they did).

Also, I assume since I want to limit the price to something low, I should stay away from Alienware and Falcon Northwest.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top