BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/25/2006 8:45:43 PM EDT
Whadda ya like?

I need to try something different.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 9:41:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Anyone know what this is? Class? Anyone? Anyone? Anyone drunk this before?
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 9:42:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 9:53:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 9:53:38 PM EDT
[#4]
I aquired a taste for hot sake while I was stationed in Japan. Dinner accompanied by beer and sake was an integral part of the evening for my girlfirend and I. I'm not a sake snob by any means but I like Gokyo and Hakubotan. Mainly because they were brewed in the local prefectures (Yamaguchi and Hiroshima). I've not found either of them in the states but I haven't looked that hard either. I have a bottle of Gekkeikan at home in the fridge. When you hear the name Gekkeikan, think of Budweiser.

BTW, drinking sake might be unique in America, it hardly makes one sophisticated. In fact, most of the times I've drank sake, I became quite unsophisticated
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 10:01:15 PM EDT
[#5]
I use to drink it off and on, but I forget the brands I have tried.  There is a Japanese place in town that offers a bunck of different varieties and I usually get something different whenever I go.  Good stuff, but a lot people don't take to it.  
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 10:01:28 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
So am I the only person sophisticated enough around here to have ever had sake?

Probably.

I don't like hot alcoholic drinks.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 11:09:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 4:10:28 AM EDT
[#8]
nope
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 4:16:20 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Tasted what I think warm horse piss would taste like - blech!
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 4:22:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Cheap brands do taste bad,

But a lil' more expensive sake is pretty good. I've seen it sneak up on some folks, heh.

Kanpai!
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 4:31:59 AM EDT
[#11]
When I was in Japan we drank that stuff like fish...

back stateside, Sake just didn't taste the same.. havent had any since.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 4:40:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:08:26 AM EDT
[#13]
I used to like sake before I went to Japan, and then I fell in love with it.  

For those of you who object to it because of it being served warm, not all sake is made to be served warm.  

If you are really interested in sake, John Gauntner's site is worth a read.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:26:46 AM EDT
[#14]
ive been to some of the top places in NYC , ive noticed a large collection of Sake.

ive also noticed the large Japanese clientele were never drinking Sake while eating Sushi, they were drinking beer. The ones drinking Sake were eating other kinds of food or just drinking  after dinner.

Sake and Sushi looked to be an american thing
(we also eat Sushi much differently)
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:33:23 AM EDT
[#15]
I would recommend trying a good Nigori Sake if you want something that is rather sweet.  Always avoid the cheap junk and "house sake" when buying sake.  Also look for Sake imported from Japan and buy from a Japanese import store.  They know how to handle sake properly because it doesn't have a long shelf life.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:49:07 AM EDT
[#16]
I aquired a taste for it over in Okinawa.
I like it heated.
Great with sashimi and sushi.

Bilster
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 8:04:53 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Can't remember the name of it offhand but it's served cold and comes in a baby blue bottle. My restaurant usually puts a thin cucumber slice in the glass and you eat that when you finish off the bottle.

Damn, now you're going to make me have sushi for lunch!

Pearl?  Could be that stuff.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 9:02:21 AM EDT
[#18]
If it's the Pearl that I know; it's made by a company called Momokawa.  It comes in a blue bottle.  It's an unfiltered sake. A little sweet with kind of a fruity taste.  The rest of their line includes others called Diamond, Ruby, Silver.  Costs about $12.00 here at the state store here in Utah.

When I was stationed at Misawa AB; a buddy and I would drink some sake with tiny peices of gold leaf floating in it.  We called it gold flake.  Don't know the real name.

Chris
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 9:53:28 AM EDT
[#19]
I normally drink the Ginjo sake from these guys:

Sho Chiku Bai

Made in the US. Unlike traditional sake, it can be served cold. It may be my unsophisticated palate, but I can't tell the difference between this and imported brands.

ETA: I've seen this go for less than 6 bucks a bottle. quite inexpensive.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 10:37:43 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Can't remember the name of it offhand but it's served cold and comes in a baby blue bottle. My restaurant usually puts a thin cucumber slice in the glass and you eat that when you finish off the bottle.

Damn, now you're going to make me have sushi for lunch!

That's the Cold Unfiltered stuff  Kind of Milky as opposed to the Hot Sake that's clear like Vodka

I think the Brand is Rihaku Shuzo
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 10:50:22 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Probably.

I don't like hot alcoholic drinks.

Premium sake is served chilled.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 11:11:12 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I would recommend trying a good Nigori Sake if you want something that is rather sweet.  Always avoid the cheap junk and "house sake" when buying sake.  Also look for Sake imported from Japan and buy from a Japanese import store.  They know how to handle sake properly because it doesn't have a long shelf life.

I live Podunk, in Southeast Texas.  The nearest Japanese import store is a hundred miles away.  However, while the selection available is pretty limited (no Nigori, for instance), the local liquor stores do carry Japanese sakes with words like junmai-, daiginjo-, ginjo- and honjozo-shu on the labels (in various combinations).  Futsuu-shus are nowhere to be found (outsidethe Japanese restaurant, anyway).

Link Posted: 3/26/2006 4:33:16 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
If it's the Pearl that I know; it's made by a company called Momokawa.  It comes in a blue bottle.  It's an unfiltered sake. A little sweet with kind of a fruity taste.  The rest of their line includes others called Diamond, Ruby, Silver.  Costs about $12.00 here at the state store here in Utah.

When I was stationed at Misawa AB; a buddy and I would drink some sake with tiny peices of gold leaf floating in it.  We called it gold flake.  Don't know the real name.

Chris

That's what recall.  Too sweat for me and it was a little too thick as well.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 4:45:04 PM EDT
[#24]
I tried some, it tasted like warm rubbing alcohol mixed with water.   I'm sure there are better ones out there of course.  
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:18:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Tried it. Don't like it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top