Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/25/2006 1:39:26 PM EDT
My wife wants one, i looked around and found  a 2004 tahoe with 21,000 miles for $22000.
Does anyone have expirience with this vehicle or know if it is one to stay away from?
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 1:46:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Tahoes are still a great vehicle, save the land cruiser, large SUVs are still an American vehicle. Neighbor who runs a dealer accident repair facility says these are the best large SUV on the market, as far as holding up in rough usage and T/A damage. Only one he will buy. [Works for Ford BTW, won't EVER buy a Mid size or large SUV from them ever. Says they are a complete disaster in T/A repair and materials are junk.]

Milage is very good for a large SUV. The engines are quite long lasting and dependable.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 2:30:49 PM EDT
[#2]
The Tahoe is a excellent large SUV,I don't think It will survive a front end low speed wreck. Without a airbag deployment it will still have to towed to a repair place. The GM engineering rolls the nose down in a front crash, rather then  a straight crash.
I like the Tahoe it is very good, but it's frame is a lighter frame. Compare it to a Ford  Expidition, it is built on a truck frame, It is stiffer the nose does not roll down in a parking lot wreck.
I suggest looking at both, if you have a parking lot wreck, which can you drive to the body shop? or which can you drive untill the body shop is ready?
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 2:35:22 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
My wife wants one, i looked around and found  a 2004 tahoe with 21,000 miles for $22000.
Does anyone have expirience with this vehicle or know if it is one to stay away from?

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=448368

It seems like most have a favorable opinion of the Suburban and Tahoe.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 2:42:55 PM EDT
[#4]
I have an 04  2wd, smallest v8, with almost 30 k.  I am happy with it and would recommend it.  Only a couple of very minor interior fit/finish problems.  Even with the smallish engine it scoots when I need it to.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 2:48:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Bought the wife a 2004 Tahoe LT new in 04. It is a great vehicle, it currently has 39000 on the clock and the only thing that has gone wrong was the steering box. It started to make a "klunk" when turning, replaced under warrenty. My 04 Avalanche is starting the same thing now 31000 on it. Ours averages about 19-21 mgp on the highway usually running 80 mph. Get the Tahoe your wife will love it!
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 3:46:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the info guys
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 3:58:12 PM EDT
[#7]
I work at the factory where it was made YOU CAN'T GO WRONG
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 4:54:18 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
The Tahoe is a excellent large SUV,I don't think It will survive a front end low speed wreck. Without a airbag deployment it will still have to towed to a repair place. The GM engineering rolls the nose down in a front crash, rather then  a straight crash.
I like the Tahoe it is very good, but it's frame is a lighter frame. Compare it to a Ford  Expidition, it is built on a truck frame, It is stiffer the nose does not roll down in a parking lot wreck.
I suggest looking at both, if you have a parking lot wreck, which can you drive to the body shop? or which can you drive untill the body shop is ready?

The expedition's frame, if bent cannot be fixed, it is a "hardened heat treated" steel and if it is heated it will lose it's strength. Thats from a person that actually runs a ford repair facility. He thinks they are worthless, and are horrible gas pigs. Both the 4.6 and 5.4 are gas hogs of the highest order. 5 or 6 MPG less then the Tahoe in real life.

Ny neighbors wife just totalled hers. pulled in front of someone and was hit at 55 MPH on the pass rear quarter. Destroyed the axle and that quarter and rear door, but the rest was relatively unscathed and the biggest reason it was totalled was it had 175,000 miles on it.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 6:05:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Have an '03 Suburban and love it.  Gas milage sucks though, averaging 16.1.  My Silverado 1500 with same engine/trans/rear got 18 with extended cab and long bed!?!?!  That's my only bitch.  I loved the milage of the Silverado but the Suburban is a family machine.  Cushiest ride you'll find, handles amazingly well for it's size.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 6:10:44 PM EDT
[#10]
I have had a big  85 Blazer, a 93 Blazer,  a 98 Tahoe, and currently a 2002 Tahoe. They are big and roomy on the inside. I have liked all the ones I have had. I just hope GM doesn't screw up and loose it before I need to buy another.

I buy these because I think they are the safest SUVs on the market.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 6:21:38 PM EDT
[#11]
We got an '04 Tahoe Z71. It is the best vehicle we ever had in over 20 years. Rides well and lots or room for the kids. Only problem was the engine light came on as a result of the gas cap being broken. Now how the hell that happened i can only guess. It does use gas and the big V8 has a roar when you punch it so that does not help. You have to read the manual if you get a lot of options as the thing is really electronic everything. We paid a lot for it and it has depreciated about 10k per year but that should even out now. Only other vehicle we considered was a BMW X5 but just not big enough. Bottom line is it is a road vehicle and would recommend it.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 6:30:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Mine is a Z71 also, love that suspension!

And a huge +1 to the everything is electric.  I had an occasion where the wife ran out of gas (gauge wasn't reading empty) and kept the radio/heat/DVD/everything else running and killed the battery before I could get gas to her.  I finally got the new Optima (blue?) deep cycle starting battery.  Everything in that damn truck is electric...  And it runs down QUICK!

I gave her a bunch of shit for running out of gas and she swore up and down that the 'puter still said 58 miles.  That number stuck in my head, don't know why.  I was driving her last week and the 'puter said 58 miles left so I waited to get gas and sure enough she ran out on me less than 10 miles later.  I guess the wife ain't full of shit after all.  Need to get that looked at.  I don't even think you can turn off the headlights that stay on after you exit unless you go through the menu's and reprogram the damn things.  When I ran out of gas I tried to turn everything off and the whole damn truck wants to keep running.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 6:44:26 PM EDT
[#13]
I bought an '03 last month with 65,000 for $16K.  So far I like it very much - get as good of gas mileage as the minivan I traded for it and I think my testicles are beginning to grow back.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 9:12:08 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Mine is a Z71 also, love that suspension!

And a huge +1 to the everything is electric.  I had an occasion where the wife ran out of gas (gauge wasn't reading empty) and kept the radio/heat/DVD/everything else running and killed the battery before I could get gas to her.  I finally got the new Optima (blue?) deep cycle starting battery.  Everything in that damn truck is electric...  And it runs down QUICK!

I gave her a bunch of shit for running out of gas and she swore up and down that the 'puter still said 58 miles.  That number stuck in my head, don't know why.  I was driving her last week and the 'puter said 58 miles left so I waited to get gas and sure enough she ran out on me less than 10 miles later.  I guess the wife ain't full of shit after all.  Need to get that looked at.  I don't even think you can turn off the headlights that stay on after you exit unless you go through the menu's and reprogram the damn things.  When I ran out of gas I tried to turn everything off and the whole damn truck wants to keep running.

I put about 580 miles on my new 06 Tahoe yesterday.  the range calculation went from 71 to 40 to 58 and then ding and light in about 3 miles when I was getting low.  In other words, I would say the determination algorithm is a little (a lot) shaky.  I went from good road at 60 mph to stop and go to freeway at 70+ in those miles.  See my thread on Tahoe trip.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 9:23:50 PM EDT
[#15]
My Tahoe rides as smooth as a limo.

I do recommend them.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 9:39:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Tahoe/Yukon.

We have the yukon. Our's is a little older than 2004.But i can say this, Don't pass up the deal on a good used one. I bought our's in 2002 its a 1999. We lost the rear end it it last spring. Then it had 127000 miles. Gm said the rear had NOT been changed under a recall. But with the miles and time gone buy, I thought well its my baby.

Long story short, they gave me the the carrier @ dealer cost and all the parts. All i had to pay my guy was the labor and bearings. Still was about a grand. But Gm was telling us $3000.00 plus for a new, and didn't want to go junk yard. Best we could find there was $2100.00 with a good luck hand shack.

There Dam nice units. Cummfy and safe. I'd buy another.(just not New!)

Doc..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top