Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/16/2001 3:48:44 AM EDT
Was playing with one of these SASR toys today. A glorified HK91! I was not impressed with the generic supplied optics. Whats the stock supposed to do? I did not fizz on me a bit. Its heavy too, and feels unbalanced, and is very long.

In 98 we adopted the Accuracy Int'l 7.62mm NATO AWF called the SR 98 here. Its a bolt job, but seems to be holding up well with our harsh and demanding conditions.
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 10:34:50 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd take the AI over the HK any day.
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 1:46:32 PM EDT
[#2]
I dont think that there is anything great about the PSG-1 as a sniper rifle. It is far too heavy to be used as a spotter rifle and is too complex for what it is. There are several good semi-auto systems that are avalible and alot less expensive. If you are issued an AI then I would get that HK out of there before one of your supervisors decide that it is what you need.
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 1:50:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Hmm, lessee.  Weighs a ton, complex as hell, about as easy to carry as a bag of bowling balls, costs ten grand to do the job that any of a number of rifles costing $2500 will do.  I'm sold!  In fact, it makes so much sense, I expect this to become the main battle rifle of the U.S. Armed Forces, by God!!

[sniper]
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 2:28:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Sorry for my 'typo'. I fucked up. PSG-1, not 9. What was I on last night!
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 3:55:11 PM EDT
[#5]
i want one but they cost to damn much maybe if they were 2k instead of 12k id get one
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 4:23:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 11:01:10 PM EDT
[#7]
What has to be considered with the PSG-1 is it's age and what it was designed for....it has been around now for about 20 years...maybe a little longer or a little less...now go back then...and think what was available in a self -loading rife. (As a sniper rifle).  Not bloody much...and it is used here as a CT weapon...not as a issue sniper weapon (at which the AW/Sr-98 excells)..it was trialed here against the AW for issue as a sniper weapon (as was the Sr-25 that died quickly) and found to be wanting....but from the people who used it, it was excellent in it's intended role.

Now days it has been replaced in Law Enforcement use here by either the AW series or Remington PSS's.  The PSG-1 replaced (for the most part) old Parker Hale bolt guns or Tikka HB sporting rifles.

It was the cats pyjamas in it's day......but that is sometime ago.

Andy
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 11:42:37 PM EDT
[#8]
PSG-90, I believe it is called, a lot of the features of a PSG-1 and about 3k. The PSG-1 was designed after the Olympic massacre in Munich. The polizei snipers couldn't get accurate firw off fast enough, they had bolt action sniper rifles. The PSG-1 attempted to rectify that by being a very reliable, very accurate, state fo the art semi- sniper rifle. When you by the best you pay for it H+K thinks they have made the best.

The optics were state of the art when they were initially released. The PSG-90 has different optics or they weapons can be bought without optics.

The weight of the weapon probably isn't an issue with LE marksmen they try to set up any possible shots from a supported position. So the weight is probably an asset once they are in place, keeping the rifle from moving about, before or after the shot.
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 12:13:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Oly. MSG90
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 12:46:58 AM EDT
[#10]
The 4x scope is just not enough magnification.
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 1:21:18 AM EDT
[#11]
The scope on the PSG1 is a 6x42 Hensoldt, it has a range finding lighted reticle up to 600m.

The MSG90 has a 10x42 Hensoldt.
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 3:58:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Can't have a real MSG90 in the USA.

It has a push-pin lower and is considered a MG by the BATF.

I hear that someone is making clones, though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top