Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/21/2006 9:31:46 AM EDT
Where is it written that a truck can just stop in in a live traffic lane and clog up it up like mechanical cholesterol just to make a delivery?  If I did the same thing I'd get a ticket.  Seriously, is there a legal exemption for this?  Drives me fuckin' nuts sometimes!  
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 9:35:12 AM EDT
[#1]
I would have a blast as a traffic cop.

I'd sit in a lawn chair in front of the local Parcal Plus/Kinkos/(enter local shipper here) and give the USPS, UPS, FedEx and DHL drivers tickets all day.

I once saw an F'ing FIRETRUCK get half stuck and have to back out of the parking lot because the USPS truck was in front of the local shipper store blocking traffic. They came in another way, parked, and went to lunch.  WTF guys!  Go kick some ass!  What if you were responding to a fire?
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 9:35:46 AM EDT
[#2]
I've often wondered that myself sometimes....UPS trucks do that shit here all the time.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 9:38:28 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I'd sit in a lawn chair in front of the local Parcal Plus/Kinkos/(enter local shipper here) and give the USPS, UPS, FedEx and DHL drivers tickets all day.

I don't even mind the quick delivery vehicles like UPS or whatever.  I'm talking about full-on semis unloading fruit or furniture damn well whenever and wherever they feel like.  I can understand needing access but what's wrong with 3am or would that be too inconvenient?  Rather they'd place the inconvenience on all the drivers they screw up at rush hour, eh?
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 9:38:50 AM EDT
[#4]
how about those damn buses taking up the entire fucking lane, I hate public transpo!
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 9:40:50 AM EDT
[#5]
When I worked for UPS and drove a UPS Package Car (it was a 10 cube), I parked where I wanted, when I wanted, because I could

To this day that is my answer when someone tells me I park like shit
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 9:41:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Laws are only as good as the enforcement.  In my city we have solved it by ignoring all traffic violations.  We have zero traffic problems according to the official numbers.  
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 9:42:35 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
how about those damn buses taking up the entire fucking lane, I hate public transpo!

Public transit is for assholes.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 9:54:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Follow the money.

Commerical vehicles are operated by Businesses.

Businesses pay Taxes.

Tax dollars fund Police Depts.

I ain't saying it's right, I'm just saying that the police aren't gonna "interfere with commerce" unless it's really blatant or they actually cause an accident or something.

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 9:54:42 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't even mind the quick delivery vehicles like UPS or whatever.  I'm talking about full-on semis unloading fruit or furniture damn well whenever and wherever they feel like.  I can understand needing access but what's wrong with 3am or would that be too inconvenient?  Rather they'd place the inconvenience on all the drivers they screw up at rush hour, eh?

Ok, I drive a semi. I deliver to grocery stores in the Mid Atlantic region,ie: DC, Baltimore, A lot of the stores we deliver to are of the mom&pop variety ie: no dock in back of the store. We have to hand unload the freight to the employes down on the sidewalk, they put on carts and take it in to the store. This is a slow process. Now when I do deliver to these stores, which thank Gos isn't often anymore, I try to park next to the curb, but in DC, the asshat people park there cars in the loading zone, which is against the curb, and the store will not tell them to move for fear of losing business. When you have to unloads 4,5 or 6 stops in DC, all of which are hand unload and try to get back home before running out of hours so you don't have to stay in a motel, you do what you have to do. If you don't understand, then you need to get out here and do it for a while, then you will see.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:06:22 AM EDT
[#10]
You can do it, too.  Just put the four-way hazard flashing light thingies on.

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:12:04 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm not sure of all the legalities, but when I was driving truck sometimes it was necessary to block traffic. We didn't want to. If circumstances warranted, someone would stop traffic with a sign, just like road construction.

It's one thing if an asshole blocks traffic because he doesn't want to park in a spot that is accessible. It's another if the guy has no choice but to stop in the street.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:13:26 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ok, I drive a semi. I deliver to grocery stores in the Mid Atlantic region,ie: DC, Baltimore, A lot of the stores we deliver to are of the mom&pop variety ie: no dock in back of the store. We have to hand unload the freight to the employes down on the sidewalk, they put on carts and take it in to the store. This is a slow process. Now when I do deliver to these stores, which thank Gos isn't often anymore, I try to park next to the curb, but in DC, the asshat people park there cars in the loading zone, which is against the curb, and the store will not tell them to move for fear of losing business. When you have to unloads 4,5 or 6 stops in DC, all of which are hand unload and try to get back home before running out of hours so you don't have to stay in a motel, you do what you have to do. If you don't understand, then you need to get out here and do it for a while, then you will see.

YEP,once blocked a street on lower Manhatten,in the shadow of the World Trade Center.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:25:24 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
What if you were responding to a fire?

We pulled up in front of a store one night, on a call, and there was a car parked right in front, in the
firelane. The engine was running and it was unlocked.

I jumped out, drove it into the nearest parking spot, and jumped back out. The owner came out of a
nearby store a few minutes later, to find the parking lot full of trucks, hose and responders. Where his
car had sat, the wagon was running it's pumps.

"Where's my car?!" I heard him yell, but ignored him, as I was checking a patient. He finally found
a deputy who was nearby, asked him, and the deputy shrugged. "Where did you leave it?"
Dumbass: "There where the firetruck is!"
Deputy: "Ohhhh... in the firelane, huh?"
DA: "Ummm.... yeah."
Deputy: "What'd it look like?" DA gives a description.
"Oh, like that one right there?" pointing about 10 feet away.
"Yeah, that's it! Wait a minute... how'd it get there? Where are my keys?!"
Deputy giving him the hairy eyeball: "So you parked in the firelane, AND left the keys in it? You're
batting 1000 tonight, bud."
DA wanders over to the car, keys are in the frontseat, unlocked. Only problem, he's surrounded by
charged hoseline.
DA: "Can I just drive over the hose to get out?"
Deputy: "Nope, you're stuck until they're done."
DA: "That's not fair! Why can't I?"
Deputy: "It's a firescene. You're stuck, and if I think you're going to try it, I'll put you in the back
of my cruiser until they're through."
DA: "But....."
Deputy shrugged: "Just be glad the other officer wasn't in charge... he'd have just shoved your car
out of the way with the bumper, and not worried about parking it."
DA:
Us:
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:32:08 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Public transit is for assholes.

Or college students who can't afford a parking permit

Try driving in LA sometime. I don't think I've ever driven a few miles without getting my blood pressure high and horn used well. If you think trucks are bad, try yuppies in a BMW who literally think hazard lights mean "hey I can park wherever I want" because they don't want to put in a dime for the meter and walk 20 meters (no exagerration either).

Sometimes I'm glad I don't have a CCW
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:47:00 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
What if you were responding to a fire?

We pulled up in front of a store one night, on a call, and there was a car parked right in front, in the
firelane. The engine was running and it was unlocked.

I jumped out, drove it into the nearest parking spot, and jumped back out. The owner came out of a
nearby store a few minutes later, to find the parking lot full of trucks, hose and responders. Where his
car had sat, the wagon was running it's pumps.

"Where's my car?!" I heard him yell, but ignored him, as I was checking a patient. He finally found
a deputy who was nearby, asked him, and the deputy shrugged. "Where did you leave it?"
Dumbass: "There where the firetruck is!"
Deputy: "Ohhhh... in the firelane, huh?"
DA: "Ummm.... yeah."
Deputy: "What'd it look like?" DA gives a description.
"Oh, like that one right there?" pointing about 10 feet away.
"Yeah, that's it! Wait a minute... how'd it get there? Where are my keys?!"
Deputy giving him the hairy eyeball: "So you parked in the firelane, AND left the keys in it? You're
batting 1000 tonight, bud."
DA wanders over to the car, keys are in the frontseat, unlocked. Only problem, he's surrounded by
charged hoseline.
DA: "Can I just drive over the hose to get out?"
Deputy: "Nope, you're stuck until they're done."
DA: "That's not fair! Why can't I?"
Deputy: "It's a firescene. You're stuck, and if I think you're going to try it, I'll put you in the back
of my cruiser until they're through."
DA: "But....."
Deputy shrugged: "Just be glad the other officer wasn't in charge... he'd have just shoved your car
out of the way with the bumper, and not worried about parking it."
DA:
Us:

Nice.

I absolutly love that pic of a car parked in front of a hydrant, windows busted out, firehose going right through the windows.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:59:52 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Where is it written that a truck can just stop in in a live traffic lane and clog up it up like mechanical cholesterol just to make a delivery?  If I did the same thing I'd get a ticket.  Seriously, is there a legal exemption for this?  Drives me fuckin' nuts sometimes!  

In  nutshell............

The same reason a fat lady rules the buffet.
Who the Foog is gonna say something to her?

<------------------------ is a truck driver / owner. NOT a wussy ass BusterBrown or FedEx.
ME: " What has brown done for me today?, got in my damned way, now get that slow POS outta the left lane"

ETA: the next time you cuss a truck, try doing it cold naked wet and hungry, then you see how much you "dislike" trucks. Rememeber you have NOTHING that a truck didnt bring you!
Name me one thing that a truck didnt bring you, and I'll buy you lunch!
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 12:02:35 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

And who the hell would be there to recieve the product? You have to deliver the goods you're delivering when the business is open.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 12:06:24 PM EDT
[#18]
because a lot of areas in citys were never designed for trucks in the first place. This also goes for a lot of businesses.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 12:41:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Just remember, if you have it, eat it, drink it, wear it, shoot it, whatever, it's because of a truck! If it wasn't for trucks, this country would shut down completly. So remember that the next time you want to bad mouth a truck driver.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 12:51:02 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Just remember, if you have it, eat it, drink it, wear it, shoot it, whatever, it's because of a truck! If it wasn't for trucks, this country would shut down completly. So remember that the next time you want to bad mouth a truck driver.

Worst argument ever.  Truckers are somehow saints because we depend on trucks?  
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 1:01:12 PM EDT
[#21]
I like Driving armored, we park where we want, because we have to be able to see our partner.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 1:22:29 PM EDT
[#22]
One word Commerce.   The very purpose of our road system is mostly for commerce.  The mail, goods and service, must go through.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 1:31:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Unless you're driving something bigger, well,  it's kind of hard to argue the point.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 1:35:05 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Follow the money.

Businesses pay Taxes.

I ain't saying it's right, I'm just saying that the police aren't gonna "interfere with commerce" unless it's really blatant or they actually cause an accident or something.

BULLSHIT!!!

You obviously have never driven a commercial truck, because we are their "commerce"!

Travis
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 1:41:43 PM EDT
[#25]
They stop trucks in transit to fleece the drivers.

They don't ticket them as they're making deliveries because that impedes the business.....who then complains to the city, who then complains to the police department.

The traffic cop's primary function is to make money off the citizenry.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 3:49:02 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
They stop trucks in transit to fleece the drivers.

They don't ticket them as they're making deliveries because that impedes the business.....who then complains to the city, who then complains to the police department.

The traffic cop's primary function is to make money off the citizenry.

Now that's an answer I can accept.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:26:13 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
BULLSHIT!!!
You obviously have never driven a commercial truck, because we are their "commerce"!
Travis

Is it a coincident that such a vicious reply is post #666?
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 6:51:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Theres no departments out there making any money off of writing tickets.   Some of your small town departments who have volunteer officers would be the only ones who would possibly see any profit at all.  If you ever pay a ticket, look at where the fines go.  The clerk gets his share and the court gets their share and a bunch of other people get a share and then the police department gets there small share.    I think most LEO's look at it as the truck drivers are just doing there jobs.   No different than if a mechanic is working on a car and has to run the car without an exhaust.  He wouldnt get cited for a noise violation.  Actually in the city I work in, we were told not to cite bars in residential areas for loud music because its part of their business.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 10:03:15 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Follow the money.

Businesses pay Taxes.

BULLSHIT!!!

Travis

I have a CDL class B, with water tank endorsement.

As a second job, I drive a water truck to do dust control on construction sites.
I frequently have to fill up the truck from a fire hydrant on the side of the road, or water the site with a side spray from the road.

Therefore I frequently "get in the way" of regular traffic.

I have never even been approached by a cop about it.  I have been driving for over 5 years.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top