Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/21/2006 8:27:18 AM EDT
Anybody have an update?
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 8:31:08 AM EDT
[#1]
last i heard they were still trying to trace the source, but have determined that the meat did not enter the food supply.

this is one of those stupid panic things tho.  there is no NO NOT ANY record of a person getting mad cow from eating tainted beef.  there have been ~140 cases in the WORLD EVER, even with how prevalent this disease supposedly is in europe.  that means your chances of getting this disease are one in 2.3x10^-11.  that means you have a .0000000000023% chance of catching this disease.

i wouldnt lose any sleep over this foolish shit
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 8:37:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Add to that the data supporting that people got CJD from BSE is shakey at best. That rate you quoted is right at the rate that people get CJD as a population.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 8:41:58 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm not worried about getting sick, but doesn't mad cow kill off populations of cows if it spreads?
I don't want that to happen either.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 8:45:36 AM EDT
[#4]
every major study on the transmission of mad cow to people have come up with the same conclusion: we don't know shit.  I've heard that it could just be a spontaneously appearing genetic thing that appears in populations randomly, and just happens to resemble the cow disease.

as for cows: there is speculation that it comes from the feed.  as you may or may not know, a large component in cow feed is COW.  they take the parts of the cow that are left after butchering, and incorporate it with grain and other ingredients to make cow feed.  there is speculation that bad stuff from cows that would normally die out with the cow that dies is getting re-introduced into the cow population, and builds up generation after generation until it comes to a head in the form of MCD.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 8:48:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Also cows are commonly fed chicken crap from chickens fed possibly highly contaminated cow parts...
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:11:08 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
every major study on the transmission of mad cow to people have come up with the same conclusion: we don't know shit.  I've heard that it could just be a spontaneously appearing genetic thing that appears in populations randomly, and just happens to resemble the cow disease.

as for cows: there is speculation that it comes from the feed.  as you may or may not know, a large component in cow feed is COW.  they take the parts of the cow that are left after butchering, and incorporate it with grain and other ingredients to make cow feed. there is speculation that bad stuff from cows that would normally die out with the cow that dies is getting re-introduced into the cow population, and builds up generation after generation until it comes to a head in the form of MCD.

The USDA banned this practice in 1997, according to the Hsv. Times article I read on this subject.  The cow in question was over 10 years old, therefore could have got it from previous-to-'97 cow-part food.

As far as I know, they haven't identified the ranch where the cow came from, probably to protect the owner from panic-induced losses.

As someone said above, pretty slim odds that anyone will ever get this disease, from cows or anywhere else.

Merlin
Top Top