Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/20/2006 3:06:10 AM EDT
I am trying out Opera because I hear it does not suffer the memory leakage issue that FireFox has, and has the fastest cold start time.

However, I am trying to log onto AR15.com using Opera and it refuses to let me log in. I have the right username and password but its a no go.

So far I am not too impressed with Opera's clunky interface. It may be more "secure" because not many people use it (didn't it just become free only recently? and we all know how much computer users enjoy paying for web browsers).

Any comments or ideas?

Do I stick it out with Opera or should I continue to use FireFox?
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 8:44:56 AM EDT
[#1]
opera works just fine from me.

its been free for about 6 months now i guess
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 9:02:02 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm having the same problem with it.  I'm not all that computer savvy, so I couldn't tell you, other than the fact that it runs much slower on my computer, why it's any worse.  My default right now is Firefox, which in my experience is the best right now.  
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 9:03:42 AM EDT
[#3]
I have been using it for a long time here.  No troubles at all.

Is the username and password box in opera hilighted red?  that means it has allready saved your username and password.  Just click on login.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 9:19:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Opera has my login info but every time I enter it into the AR15 site it just reverts to the login screen again.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 10:29:11 AM EDT
[#5]
In typical ARFCOM tradition, I've used both, and I personally like Firefox better becasue of the way it saves the webpages, just like MS IE.  Opera does have a memory leakage problem also, and can potentially use up all of the real memory if you open too many windows.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 10:41:13 AM EDT
[#6]
I've tried Opera in the past and was not impressed.  

I use FireFox and have very few issues with it.  Whenever there's a hiccup, I just close FireFox then open it again and everything is all clear again.  

The interface is intuitive - I don't have to adjust my thought processes when transitioning from using IE at work or a friend's house.  FireFox ain't perfect but it suits me better than any other browser.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 10:50:42 AM EDT
[#7]
I found a neat "fix" for FireFox:

Go to:
about:config

Create a new boolean setting:
config.trim_on_minimize

set to "TRUE"

Now when you minimize FF, it trims out the memory (drops down to below 10MB). Then maximize it again and browse normally.

I wasn't too sure if I was the only one that thought Opera's interface sucked major ass. FireFox is indeed very intuitive. I used all 3 and still like FF better (the memory leak issue sucks though).
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 11:00:20 AM EDT
[#8]
I've been using Opera since version 2.0 and I hate going to anything else.  Firefox is slightly better than IE but it's much more clumsy than Opera IMO.  Just the keyboard shortcuts alone are so much more efficient.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 11:09:57 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I've been using Opera since version 2.0 and I hate going to anything else.  Firefox is slightly better than IE but it's much more clumsy than Opera IMO.  Just the keyboard shortcuts alone are so much more efficient.

In opera, "Alt-D" doesn't work (should put the text focus right into the address bar). I'm so used to using Alt-D in both IE and FireFox.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 11:15:44 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

In opera, "Alt-D" doesn't work (should put the text focus right into the address bar). I'm so used to using Alt-D in both IE and FireFox.

You should be able to set this up under Tools-Preferences-Mouse & Keyboard
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 11:22:06 AM EDT
[#11]
I find Opera to be a cluster fudge of an eyesore to deal with. No matter how hard I  tried, it still looks sloppy.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 11:24:45 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm not eager to promote the use of Opera simply because I don't want everyone to start writing viruses targeted for it.

Use what you want.  If you don't like it, fine.  I will say I love it because it is customizable to a degree that IE will never be; dunno about FF but I have no compelling reason to use it very often.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top