Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/18/2006 12:46:39 PM EDT
Why don't you see packs of wild dogs roaming around and eating all the zombies?
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 12:48:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Dogs know to get out of the way.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 12:49:46 PM EDT
[#2]
because dogs can be zombified too.... look at resident evil.

zombie dogs are SCARRY!  much faster moving, and smaller heads to hit!
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 6:25:52 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Predatory animals and even insects can tell when a living thing has been infected with the Solanum Virus...they instinctively avoid any infected thing like the plague that it is.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 6:27:36 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Predatory animals and even insects can tell when a living thing has been infected with the Solanum Virus...they instinctively avoid any infected thing like the plague that it is.

You do know that guy made that crap up, don't you?
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 6:28:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Monk I hope you dont mind the slight hijack with my zombie related question.

Do zombies kill and eat just enough to sustain themselves and let the virus have enough of the new host left so ot can run around and spread the virus more? Or do they completely cannibalize the corpe until nothing is left. Pretty much every documentary shows the victims as being able to spread the virus even though some had signs of heavy munching.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 6:38:37 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Do zombies kill and eat just enough to sustain themselves and let the virus have enough of the new host left so ot can run around and spread the virus more? Or do they completely cannibalize the corpe until nothing is left. Pretty much every documentary shows the victims as being able to spread the virus even though some had signs of heavy munching.

It seems to vary. Sometimes they just seem to snack and other times they tear the whole body up.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 6:51:51 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It seems to vary. Sometimes they just seem to snack and other times they tear the whole body up.

kinda like an afternoon snack or an all you can eat buffet.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 6:54:51 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

kinda like an afternoon snack or an all you can eat buffet.

I would assume it to depend on what manner of eating habits they had in life...
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 7:02:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Cause zombies bite the dogs..then the dogs go zombie?

No Expert
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 7:07:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Certain parasites have been found to alter the behavior of the host to allow the parasite to spread more easily.

http://www.livescience.com/scienceoffiction/060210_technovelgy.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toxoplasma

Pretty scary stuff when you think about it.

The zombie virus (aka “Solanum”) isn’t a true virus in the conventional sense. It acts more as an advanced mind altering parasite as well as an amazing energy source. Solanum modifies the behavior of the victim so he will more readily spread the virus. The lifecycle of the Solanum virus apparently requires that it kill the host before it can spread. And it apparently must be spread through biting the next victim. Since dead hosts typically don’t go around biting people the Solanum virus managed to adapt and find a way animate the deceased host.

There is no conventional way for it to do this. Solanum therefore must make use of some extra-dimensional energy source which it can tap into on the quantum scale. Perhaps the virus is extra-dimensional in nature and can only enter our universe through microscopic tears in space time. That would explain the association of zombie outbreaks with meteor impacts and nuclear radiation as only high energy events could possibly cause such tears.

Some experiments were done in the 1950s with using concentrated Solanum as an energy source. These experiments were shut down and the whole thing hushed up.

As to why dogs don’t eat zombies… Nothing eats zombies. Their flesh is incredibly toxic to all living things. That’s also why they don’t rot away in a couple days. No bacteria can attack Solanum infected cells.

Zombies can only be stopped by destroying the brain. Apparently the brain of the victim still remains marginally active (but under the control of Solanum) and gives the infected host the ability to walk, grab, and bite others. Even with the brain destroyed the body still remains infected. But there is no way for the Solanum to control the host without an intact nervous system. So a head shot effectively eliminates the threat.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 7:18:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Technically arent zombies possible in a way, maybe not the traditional way where it allows everything to die except the brain but more like the 28 days later way, where they just become insane. SOmething like a new type of rabies or mutated form
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 8:13:11 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dont you guys know anything about zombies. Everyone knows that zombies come from the T-Virus.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 8:18:23 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dont you guys know anything about zombies. Everyone knows that zombies come from the T-Virus.

True dat.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 8:22:15 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Certain parasites have been found to alter the behavior of the host to allow the parasite to spread more easily.

http://www.livescience.com/scienceoffiction/060210_technovelgy.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toxoplasma

Pretty scary stuff when you think about it.

The zombie virus (aka “Solanum”) isn’t a true virus in the conventional sense. It acts more as an advanced mind altering parasite as well as an amazing energy source. Solanum modifies the behavior of the victim so he will more readily spread the virus. The lifecycle of the Solanum virus apparently requires that it kill the host before it can spread. And it apparently must be spread through biting the next victim. Since dead hosts typically don’t go around biting people the Solanum virus managed to adapt and find a way animate the deceased host.

There is no conventional way for it to do this. Solanum therefore must make use of some extra-dimensional energy source which it can tap into on the quantum scale. Perhaps the virus is extra-dimensional in nature and can only enter our universe through microscopic tears in space time. That would explain the association of zombie outbreaks with meteor impacts and nuclear radiation as only high energy events could possibly cause such tears.

Some experiments were done in the 1950s with using concentrated Solanum as an energy source. These experiments were shut down and the whole thing hushed up.

As to why dogs don’t eat zombies… Nothing eats zombies. Their flesh is incredibly toxic to all living things. That’s also why they don’t rot away in a couple days. No bacteria can attack Solanum infected cells.

Zombies can only be stopped by destroying the brain. Apparently the brain of the victim still remains marginally active (but under the control of Solanum) and gives the infected host the ability to walk, grab, and bite others. Even with the brain destroyed the body still remains infected. But there is no way for the Solanum to control the host without an intact nervous system. So a head shot effectively eliminates the threat.

Bingo.. I See your Zombie fu is strong... The stuff smell and tastes like shit. Bugs and animals don't want anything to do with infected individuals.

Link Posted: 3/25/2006 8:31:57 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I thought that in the original documentary, the virus was a mutation cause by radiation from Venus.?
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 8:34:03 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted: So a head shot effectively eliminates the threat.

How much head needs to be destroyed? If I popped one with a handgun and blew off half the head but the medula was still intact, would I be in danger still?
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 8:49:17 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
How much head needs to be destroyed? If I popped one with a handgun and blew off half the head but the medula was still intact, would I be in danger still?

You'd have a twitcher.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 9:05:50 AM EDT
[#18]
Twitchers can still grab at you though, I am assuming that if they scratch you you would be infected. None have ever got that close to me though.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 9:10:28 AM EDT
[#19]
The zombies won't even notice a dog. Haven't you seen Dawn of the Dead '04?
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 9:18:28 AM EDT
[#20]
You need to get Max Brooks Zombie guide. There are different types of zombies.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 9:19:29 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That is correct, zombie flesh is EXTREMELY toxic.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 2:42:36 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You'd have a twitcher.

That’s correct. I don’t know of any studies that detail exactly how much of a zombie’s brain needs to be destroyed. Any brain injury appears to reduce their ability to function somewhat. But some zombies do go down easier than others. For most, even a .22LR round is sufficient. A zombie with a partially damaged brain might become twitcher, (not to be mistaken with a tweaker) they are unable to walk and only have minimum functionality but they can be a hazard if someone gets too close.

Solanum is a human specific virus. Since dogs can’t transmit the virus, zombies typically ignore them. Some mutant strains of Solanum might be able to infect animals. If so then it’s likely we could have zombie dogs.

The T-Virus was an artificially created virus. I’ve even heard reports that certain RNA strands from the Solanum virus used were used to create the T-Virus. This virus may also be considered a “Zombie Virus” but it’s not Solanum.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top