Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/17/2006 9:12:56 PM EDT
Phillips will be sending repairmen to your homes to install new parts.

Please don't draw down on them!
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 9:14:30 PM EDT
[#1]
In fact don't draw down on any plasma tvs.  They're expensive.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 9:17:23 PM EDT
[#2]
No, I meant the repairmen

Its okay to draw down on the telly
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 3:15:35 AM EDT
[#3]
There is some good news on the HDTV front: Sony has said that they are leaving the analog port on the new Blu-Ray players open for now (Blu-Ray players are due out at the end of March 2006).
arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060314-6377.html

....Previously, Sony said that they would block high-definition output on the analog feed, only allowing it on the standardized digital feed. The reason given involved preventing people from making copies of high-definition media.

The practical problem with this is that many of the HDTV's already sold only have analog ports for HD input,,,, -so many of those people wouldn't have been able to view high-definition video from the Blu-Ray players at all, despite just recently having paid lots of cash for a high-definition television (-or I suppose, for another HDTV, after the first one has blown up). And roughly $900 for a Blu-Ray videodisk player.

.....Or, as I heavily suspect, after deciding NOT to spend $900 for a Blu-Ray videodisk player.... My guess is that Sony did a bit of last-minute polling and found they were about to give birth to a $900 Minidisk.
~
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 3:31:07 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
There is some good news on the HDTV front: Sony has said that they are leaving the analog port on the new Blu-Ray players open for now (Blu-Ray players are due out at the end of March 2006).
arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060314-6377.html

....Previously, Sony said that they would block high-definition output on the analog feed, only allowing it on the standardized digital feed. The reason given involved preventing people from making copies of high-definition media.

The practical problem with this is that many of the HDTV's already sold only have analog ports for HD input,,,, -so many of those people wouldn't have been able to view high-definition video from the Blu-Ray players at all, despite just recently having paid lots of cash for a high-definition television (-or I suppose, for another HDTV, after the first one has blown up). And roughly $900 for a Blu-Ray videodisk player.

.....Or, as I heavily suspect, after deciding NOT to spend $900 for a Blu-Ray videodisk player.... My guess is that Sony did a bit of last-minute polling and found they were about to give birth to a $900 Minidisk.
~

I wish I knew what all of this technical crap means. I need a new TV and don't have a clue where to start.

Last time I bought a TV the only options I had to worry about were brand name and screen size.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:07:01 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I wish I knew what all of this technical crap means. I need a new TV and don't have a clue where to start.

Last time I bought a TV the only options I had to worry about were brand name and screen size.

+1
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:13:50 AM EDT
[#6]
I could care less about HDTV... I never really watch TV anymore anyhow...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top