Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/16/2006 8:01:20 PM EDT
I own/wear a few nice wrist watches, but prior to a recent snowboarding trip, I put them all in a safe and donned by Casio G-Shock.  It's now been 3 weeks since I've had this watch on without taking it off for anything including showers.  My cheap Gshock gets more looks and stares than my Rolexes or Pateks ever did.  I'm wondering if it's b/c people aren't used to seeing me wear a watch like this, or what?  It's weird, but I kinda like it.  It makes me feel like people don't look at me with false pretenses, which consequently makes dealing with them much more pleasant.

Just an odd thought and topic I figured I'd throw out just for the heck of it....
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:02:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I WONT oen an expensive watch. $40 and under for me. Lasts the longest.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:03:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Um... you're supposed to take it off before you get in the shower.

I bet the smell of your wrist could gag a maggot.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:05:21 PM EDT
[#3]
I have found repeatedly that the <$40 watches last for years. The >$200 watches last for a few weeks.

I just can't bow to the fashion gods for a watch, I have to stick with the practical.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:07:06 PM EDT
[#4]
The only watch other than a G-Shock that I have owned for the past 8 years has been a Citizen Eco-Drive diver's watch.

The Citizen is great and will never need batteries but I still wear my G-Shock when I need something that will take a beating.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:07:10 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I have found repeatedly that the <$40 watches last for years. The >$200 watches last for a few weeks.

I just can't bow to the fashion gods for a watch, I have to stick with the practical.

Thing is, my $40 looks better than most $200+ watches.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:09:36 PM EDT
[#6]
I wouldn't spend thousands for a watch, but cheap watches are not better. I have a few watches, but I wear a stainless Seiko 200M diver's chronograph most often. I also have a Seiko that belonged to my grandfather. He bought it 40 years ago and it still runs. It hasn't even had the battery changed in almost 10 years.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:10:09 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What is it?
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:11:12 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What is it?

Lorus. Silver, blue face with orange hands. Simple, to the point and looks good.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:16:30 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
The only watch other than a G-Shock that I have owned for the past 8 years has been a Citizen Eco-Drive diver's watch.

The Citizen is great and will never need batteries but I still wear my G-Shock when I need something that will take a beating.

I've heard a lot of grief is associated with the little battery inside the Eco that is charged by the solar panel..  Makes sense too when you think about it, it's gotta store power somewhere and rechargables don't last forever.

I had the same thing with a cheap watch edging out the more expensive ones.  I had sworn off digital years ago.  More recently swore off quartz.  Found a Timex ironman 30 lap though, in good shape and it just works.  Don't have to worry about it.

More than fancy brands though, I've always appreciated the odd and beautiful variations of the action.  Saw a neat Accutron (?) yesterday, runs off a tuning fork.  Pre-quartz.  Hums.  Wicked coooooool!!
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:28:05 PM EDT
[#10]
When I got my first "big money" job I celebrated by buying myself a Timex.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top