Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/16/2006 10:52:50 AM EDT
MD types for a health problem and questions..

I have had an extremely sore throat for 3 days now.   Inflamed throat & swollen tonsils with yellow patches on both. Went to the doctor last night and had a rapid screen for strep.  It was negative but I only felt the swab on the tonsils.  I know 20% false negatives for the ELISA but isn't it standard practice to swab both tonsils and throat?

Was perscribed 10 days of amoxicillin, 1000 mg 2x daily plus a course of methyl prednisolone for inflammation.  I know the amox is standard antibiotic but the prednisolone for inflammation?  

The major symptom, a sore throat that feels like a grass burr in my throat, has lessened with use of the above perscriptions plus naproxen Na.  Swelling is down, no fever (NSAID effect?) .  But the use of prednisolone for a sore throat is a first for me.  

How common is the perscription of steroid for sore throat?  Could there be another underlying problem?  I'd ask my own doctor but wanted a second opinion.  Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:54:38 AM EDT
[#1]

How common is the perscription of steroid for sore throat

It is for the inflamation, that the sore throat caused.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 1:12:27 PM EDT
[#2]
It is acceptable. I rarely do so and am of the opinion that steroids are very much overused but they are very effective medications.  I would say to follow the Dr's instructions. Afterall you are feeling better, no???

If you do not get better and have no previous known history of Mono, you should have a CBC and Monospot testing. 4-5days of symptoms before Monopsot is (+) typically.

As for the testing, it should have been an adequate specimen IMO. Some false negs as you said, treat as necessary. Culture pending????

Get well soon.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 1:57:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Man, I had something similar.  I had my tonsils removed in HS so I obviously don't have that symptom.  No fever to speak of.  I kinda figured it was the mildest case of strep I'd ever had.  I kicked it after about a week.  Gargling listerine back into my throat made it feel loads better.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 1:59:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Steroids for sore throats is common especially in the cases of mono.  If you want my opinion, just tell your BF not to push so deep.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 2:01:05 PM EDT
[#5]
I extend my deepest sympathies to you.
This regimen, it is used, to keep you cofortable in your final days.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 2:02:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Its also used for people who have problems breathing and need help opening up the airways.  But in your case, it would be used to fight the swelling.  
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 2:06:32 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Steroids for sore throats is common especially in the cases of mono.  If you want my opinion, just tell your BF not to push so deep.

LOL!  Unfortunately me "BF" just happens to be a woman and her clit isn't but 3/8" (40mm) long so I doubt that is the problem.  And during "that" time (of which it is currently), I don't "swab the deck".
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 2:08:45 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

LOL!  Unfortunately me "BF" just happens to be a woman and her clit isn't but 3/8" (40mm) long so I doubt that is the problem.  And during "that" time (of which it is currently), I don't "swab the deck".

Free advice is worth what you pay for it.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 2:33:45 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

ARDOC I just hope you work a ER somewhere where one of my brother Medic have a chance to partake in your wonderfull dark hospital humor.
He had the Doc give him the 'script and didn't ask, so he has to post here........lame.

Link Posted: 3/16/2006 2:57:18 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

ARDOC I just hope you work a ER somewhere where one of my brother Medic have a chance to partake in your wonderfull dark hospital humor.
He had the Doc give him the 'script and didn't ask, so he has to post here........lame.

Hey, I wanted a SECOND OPINION.  Anyhow, today is my doc's day off...since he works nights, this is quite acceptable.  The nurse was in today and settled some of my questions.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 3:18:14 PM EDT
[#11]

Did you get a rash after taking the  amoxil?

Glad he wasted your $$ by doing the culture first, ignoring the results and pressing on with antibiotics.  No need to culture if you are going to treat with antibiotics anyway.

Link Posted: 3/16/2006 3:56:47 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Glad he wasted your $$ by doing the culture first, ignoring the results and pressing on with antibiotics.  No need to culture if you are going to treat with antibiotics anyway.

Really?  It was a culture AND sensitivity and yes, it was positive.  You see there is this thing called MRSA going around.  And without a culture and sensivity, you cannot readily tell.  

Link Posted: 3/16/2006 4:11:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Prednisolone has some potentially serious side effects. I'm not a doctor but I would discuss this with him when he's back in the office.

www.medicinenet.com/prednisolone/article.htm

Link Posted: 3/16/2006 4:15:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Did you hit it ?
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 4:26:23 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Really?  It was a culture AND sensitivity and yes, it was positive.  You see there is this thing called MRSA going around.  And without a culture and sensivity, you cannot readily tell.  

MRSA is staph, not strep, though it does also cause tonsillitis at times. If it was MRSA it would not respond to Amox obviously.

You could have cleared up alot by telling us the culture was pos.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top