BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/16/2006 7:39:17 AM EDT

Get this shit.

I'm National Guard
I just got back from a deployment, it sucked/was the best thing I ever did at the same time.

Because of a lapse in judgement 4 years ago I signed up for an MOS that is full of fatties, permanant profiles, and females. I thought it would look good on a resume.

God was that a mistake. It is the only thing I regret in life, seriously.

My particular unit has the distinction of having the weakest and most incompetent chain of command in the Army. It's an honor.

Most of my seargeants (females) cry, can't pass a PT test to save their life, sleep with everyone on post, and had to go through PLDC TWICE!!
I spent the entire deployment being everyones bitch, getting screwed over, and picking up everyone's slack.

Here I am a PT stud, excel at everything I do, and give 100% all the time. I make them look good.

When I got back I tried to make things right and switch to Infantry. Keep in mind this is something I have been trying to do since the day I got into my unit. I figured that they would let me out since I have less than 2 years left here anyway, and we probably won't be deployed again.

I had a unit that was more than willing to take me, and I had a few High-Speed schools lined up for me to attend.

But guess what?

My unit won't let me out.
They said no, and there is nothing I can do about it.
That's it.

So here I am stuck in this faggot-assed brokeback MOS for another 2 years.
I WANT to go to Iraq and I WANT so do some shooting, but they won't let me.

Fuck.

Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:40:47 AM EDT
[#1]
What is your MOS?
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:42:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Would going active be an option?  You would definitely get out of the crappy unit, and I don't think they can prevent you from leaving.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:42:58 AM EDT
[#3]

I'd rather not get too specific.

You never know who reads here!

Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:43:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Army Intelligence.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:43:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Why wont they let you out?

2 things:

IG complaint

or

Move
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:44:07 AM EDT
[#6]
get your commander to sign off and change units, be persistant

that or tell them youre gay
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:44:18 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Public relations?
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:44:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Don't worry, Iraq will still be there in 2 years...and so will we.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:45:50 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
get your commander to sign off and change units, be persistant

that or tell them youre gay

That might work....unless, of course, they ask for proof.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:51:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:53:16 AM EDT
[#11]
When I went to Iraq, it was a month prior to the Marines taking over the Al Anbar region from the army.  Part of my duties required that I get with the army guys and coordinate turn-over of their work and living spaces.

What I saw was a real eye-opener.  I think it may have been a National Guard unit; they were a NBC company or something. ETA> From Colorado, IIRC

They were openly co-habitating the females with the males.  Ordnance was laying around in the open; unsecured.  I realize that there was a war going on, but there was no attempt made by them to clean their living spaces up, or even to take out the trash.  Iraqi nationals appeared to have free-run of the base; very lax security.  In short, the kind of non-discipline that makes things like Abu Gharib happen.  

Not bashing anyone here, but it is obvious that that little enclave of The Big Army had somehow escaped notice from the adult supervision.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:54:58 AM EDT
[#12]
If the situation is as you describe, they realize that you are carrying the load for a number of incompetents.

They know what would happen if you left.  They fear it.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:55:06 AM EDT
[#13]
You mentioned that you have done 4 years so far?  So finish the next two years and then when you have fulfilled your obligation to the MOS that you originally signed up for you can request a lateral move to infantry (or whatever you want).  

Commands are loath to lose people that make up their TO.  

You other recourse is to move closer to another unit and hope that they will take you.  Either they will rate your particular MOs or they will accept having a MOS mismatch while you get schooled up.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:56:00 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

What I saw was a real eye-opener.  I think it may have been a National Guard unit; they were a NBC company or something.

people ask me why i went infantry, well its simple, no females, the people that volunteer for infantry usually have some drive and want to serve.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:56:56 AM EDT
[#15]
And if you think that's bad just wait till you get out and enlist in Corporate American. Then you'll have something to really bitch about....  You'll get screwed over the rest of you life..
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:08:34 AM EDT
[#16]
happyface it sounds like you must be in my unit... they're so worthless
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:13:38 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
they won't let you go because YOU are helping skew your inept commanders readiness numbers. if he allows soldiers actually capable of duty to leave his readiness will go in the tank.

That's more or less what my BC told me when he said no.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:13:50 AM EDT
[#18]
Happy I so feel your pain dude, you have no idea...are you sure we're not in the same unit?
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:14:38 AM EDT
[#19]
First question is your unit on stop loss?
If they are nothing you can do. If not talk to you First Sergeant, Next talk to you Company or detachment Commander, then talk to your Battalion CSM and Battalion Commander. If every one says no stay in the unit you sign up for the unit it was your choice.
Second question did you get a bonus for you MOS or unit? If you did say with your unit or MOS. If not work with your chain of command.

Your unit might be bad, but as a soldier you have to do what you can to improve it. I’ve been in all kinds of units and they all have there good and bad points. Infantry units have duds, over weight guys, and PT failures. If you’re a PT stud continue, and offer to mange work with the over weight and PT failures. Above all you need to do the nest that you can do to help what ever unit you are in. 10% of the soldiers do 90% of the work that is a fact in most units. Be a part of the solution not a part of the problem. Your chain of command might have their hands tied on transfers talk to them.

Never bad mouth you unit to outsiders.

Good Luck!
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:22:28 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Dude,

I tell everyone I drive trucks.
Your Intel, you know its better to lie than throw out INDICATORS like I CANT SAY, or such.
Instantly pegs you as an Intel Weeny. That and you described the typical Intel unit.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:25:05 AM EDT
[#21]
I'm no help but thank you for your service.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:25:07 AM EDT
[#22]
I also wish I had gone infantry, but I was never in a crap unit, unless you call Field Artillary crap.  Now I am in an Aviation Bn., and we fly shithooks.  The one good thing about my mos is, as a 63B, everybody has HMMWV's.  Just the same, when I get back I will try to change over as well, and I'm in untill 2011 right now.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:28:48 AM EDT
[#23]
Thank you for your service.  I am deployed with a unit as an augmentee.  Thank god I go back to my people when I get back.  I do feel your pain!
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:32:23 AM EDT
[#24]
if you dont like the answer they gave you then take it up the chain of command...or if that fails too, get creative. Work the system dont let it work you.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:35:09 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
First question is your unit on stop loss?
If they are nothing you can do. If not talk to you First Sergeant, Next talk to you Company or detachment Commander, then talk to your Battalion CSM and Battalion Commander. If every one says no stay in the unit you sign up for the unit it was your choice.
Second question did you get a bonus for you MOS or unit? If you did say with your unit or MOS. If not work with your chain of command.

Your unit might be bad, but as a soldier you have to do what you can to improve it. I?ve been in all kinds of units and they all have there good and bad points. Infantry units have duds, over weight guys, and PT failures. If you?re a PT stud continue, and offer to mange work with the over weight and PT failures. Above all you need to do the nest that you can do to help what ever unit you are in. 10% of the soldiers do 90% of the work that is a fact in most units. Be a part of the solution not a part of the problem. Your chain of command might have their hands tied on transfers talk to them.

Never bad mouth you unit to outsiders.

Good Luck!

I already talked with the Batallion Commander, he's the guy who said no.

I tried working with the people who can't pass.
The problem is they don't care!
Nothing happens to them if they don't pass,  they still get promoted.
I'm starting to think I'm the chump here.

We had one fat piece of shit who hasen't passed a test in 3 FUCKING YEARS!!  He's still here!
He just goes and picks up a profile when test time comes around. That fat bastard can't even run a half mile.

The thing is, I'M the one in danger here.
If we get shot at and say I get hit. Who's gunna drag me to cover? The 110 pound female? She can't because I'm already carrying the gear she can't handle.
Who's going to return fire?
These people can't shoot to save their lives.

I'm with you on not badmouthing your unit, but they are an embarassment to the Army and do it more harm than good. I'm ashamed of them.

Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:37:24 AM EDT
[#26]
Is the unit that you want to go to within your state? If so, it won't matter to the TAG, because the end strength of the state is still the same. If the unit is out of state and you move to that state, they can't stop you. Push harder. If you have to, contact the Batallion commander of the infantry unit you are trying to get into. Combat arms are always short.

ETA- I forgot about the bonus for your MOS. If you did, then you're going to have to wait until your ETS.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:40:33 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Like you are the only one in the military with that MOS?

Thanks for your service, anyway!
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:42:28 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dude,

Your Intel, you know its better to lie than throw out INDICATORS like I CANT SAY, or such.
Instantly pegs you as an Intel Weeny. That and you described the typical Intel unit.

I'm not Intel, but I wish I was!
Does that count?

That job looks kind of cool! The guys we were with were squared away!

I wasn't thinking OPSEC or anything like that, I was thinking more alone the lines of my BC walking up to me and saying something along the lines of, "So we're an embarassment huh?"

OH wait, that won't happen, he dosen't know shit about guns. I had to teach HIM how to use an M9, because I'm a, "Gun guy"

Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:50:38 AM EDT
[#29]

What's the recipe for chili mac?
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:55:04 AM EDT
[#30]
Go Active.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:55:06 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Get this shit.

I'm National Guard
I just got back from a deployment, it sucked/was the best thing I ever did at the same time.

Because of a lapse in judgement 4 years ago I signed up for an MOS that is full of fatties, permanant profiles, and females. I thought it would look good on a resume.

My particular unit has the distinction of having the weakest and most incompetent chain of command in the Army. It's an honor.

Most of my seargeants (females) cry, can't pass a PT test to save their life, sleep with everyone on post, and had to go through PLDC TWICE!!
I spent the entire deployment being everyones bitch, getting screwed over, and picking up everyone's slack.

Here I am a PT stud, excel at everything I do, and give 100% all the time. I make them look good.

When I got back I tried to make things right and switch to Infantry. Keep in mind this is something I have been trying to do since the day I got into my unit. I figured that they would let me out since I have less than 2 years left here anyway, and we probably won't be deployed again.

I had a unit that was more than willing to take me, and I had a few High-Speed schools lined up for me to attend.

But guess what?

That's it.

Fuck.

Dig around..  I am sure your zeal to go to the sandbox will be acknowledged.  just look beyond your chain of command..  Sounds shitty but it might be your last resort.  or you could bang one of the females and then use that to your advantage;)
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:57:06 AM EDT
[#32]
Like I said, take up a freaking IG complaint or move.

Like another poster above me said, move, they cant stop you.  All you really gotta do is say "hey, i'm moving, here's my new unit, k thx bai."
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 9:13:03 AM EDT
[#33]
You don't even have to move.

Find a unit you would like to be in that is a little ways away.

Go get a PO Box in that town, or find a friend that lives there and use his address

Tell your unit you moved. They HAVE to release you if there is a unit within 50 miles of your new home that is willing to accept you. If they don't, an IG complaint will fix it fast.

If they refuse to release you, they have to come up with travel pay and pay your lodging.... and I will bet they do not have funds available for that, so they have choice but to release you.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:09:51 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Get this shit.

I'm National Guard

But guess what?

That's it.

Fuck.

Man, for a while I was feeling your pain . . . since I was in a similiar situation a while back.  But then you start going on about how the rest of your unit sucks and that they are an embarrassment, blah blah blah and that you are all that.  Suck it up soldier.  You signed the contract - you should have known what you were getting into since you were supposedly an adult.

If you are a NCO then I have nothing for contempt for your attitude since your primary job is supposed to be your people - doing whatever it takes to get them to the level that they need to be.  In a word "professionalism", lose the attitude and start being a leader.

If you're not an NCO, well, seems to me you're just someone elses problem.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 11:24:33 AM EDT
[#35]
I'm not an NCO.

And I never said I was all that.
I just do what is expected of a soldier, giving my BEST: being proficient at all the common tasks, PT, shooting, and the like. It's not too hard and I shouldn't be rewarded, it's EXPECTED.

If you don't meet the standard and don't care, or even try to get better, there is not much lower enlisted can do, most of this shit is the people who outrank me.  
So I guess next time I see him I'll tell my squad leader to do some pushups.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 11:28:06 AM EDT
[#36]

You should be careful for what you wish for...You made a choice, SIU. Nothing is forever.

I am sorry if you miss out on this war...
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 11:37:33 AM EDT
[#37]
Have you thought of putting in a packet for SFAS?
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 11:39:34 AM EDT
[#38]
Shit, you got a patch, you went to Iraq...you did more than most.  Wait out your time and stop trying to undermine the chain of command.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 11:48:20 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

2 things:

IG complaint

or

Move

First, the IG has absolutely zero authority to force your CoC to do anything, and the first thing they will do is say "did you use the chain of command?".  Second, moving to escape the unit will lead to admin reductions for AWOL down to E2, since there will be a lapse between when you leave and the new unit adding you to their rolls.  Happened to guys that transferred to us form out of state.  Yes, I promoted them back, but it was a pain in the ass.  If you want to go active, as long as your unit isn't under a stop loss they can't stop the transfer.  If you want to stay NG (and there are a lot of great NG units out there with great CoCs) simply write up an MFR.  Give it to your CO.  A few days later, to the BC.  A few days later, the Brigade/Group/Etc commander.  A few days later, the ATAG.  By the time you get to the ATAG you are usually dealing with a combat arms BG, who CAN force your Co to do the xfer, who came from a Armor or Infantry Bn that always needs good soldiers, and you used the CoC.  If you just go the IG/Congressional route without having first using your entire chain of command it makes you look like a bitch, and no high speed unit wants a bitch.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 11:50:29 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
they won't let you go because YOU are helping skew your inept commanders readiness numbers. if he allows soldiers actually capable of duty to leave his readiness will go in the tank.

Yep,I was in that situation at one time(138th FA SVC Battery,POL section)

Tried like hell to get into an MP unit in Louisville(80 miles away),no dice,even filed an IG complaint(damn,3 years as an PFC,no KY Commendation Medal,despite the fact that our section carried the Btn in fuel,we were good)

IG wouldn't let me move either,but I did move up to SPC4,I got to get out of there by way of a move to TX,then back to the 135th AV,E Co(best damned bunch around!)

Our guys who were on profile were trying like hell to get to the magic"20" some were Viet Nam vets(including a few who were there before it was much of anything,around 1963). Our "doughboy"fatbody captain hated seeing these guys in their Class As,the fruit salad always made him feel small! He even berated a good former 82nd Sgt for wearing his Jungle School tab before the entire formation. Glad I got outta that chickenshit outfit!
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 12:03:20 PM EDT
[#41]
Instructions for rapid transfer to a lower paygrade:

Quoted:
You don't even have to move.

Find a unit you would like to be in that is a little ways away.

Go get a PO Box in that town, or find a friend that lives there and use his address

Tell your unit you moved. They HAVE to release you if there is a unit within 50 miles of your new home that is willing to accept you. If they don't, an IG complaint will fix it fast.

If they refuse to release you, they have to come up with travel pay and pay your lodging.... and I will bet they do not have funds available for that, so they have choice but to release you.

Tell that to my kids who transferred to my unit who were coded AWOL and reduced by their previous commands.  And yes, state level (from both States) IG and JAG said the AWOLs and reductions were valid.

Go to the Bn Cdr of the Infantry unit you found, and your ATAG.   Kid, go to these two people.  I can just about promise you in a pissing match over a good soldier between the combat arms unit and the non-combat arms unit, the combat arms unit will win.  Give the Infantry BC and CSM a chance to fight for you before you go and commit a UCMJ violation or otherwise act like a bitch.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 12:11:56 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dude,

Like he said, lots of .mil folks read here. We had a guy gripe about jump school, when all of a sudden 2 instructors piped up. He was real quiet from that point forward.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 12:32:54 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Don't worry, Iraq will still be there in 2 years...and so will we.

I sorta doubt that.  We may still be there but in very small numbers (I'd guess 5-6 brigades max).  

GunLvr
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 1:14:48 PM EDT
[#44]
happyface, did you see garand_shooter's post???
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 1:21:04 PM EDT
[#45]
call your congressman...
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 1:43:07 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
If the situation is as you describe, they realize that you are carrying the load for a number of incompetents.

They know what would happen if you left.  They fear it.

+1 you could become a shitbag but seriously.....good luck man, hope you can get what you want. My friend had to go active to get out of a retard NBC unit.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 1:54:41 PM EDT
[#47]
true story: a guy that used to be in my unit was about to get kicked out for being a shit bagand never showing for drill. Instead command sends him off to another unit, who then promptly sent him off to jump school and promoted shortly after. Meanwhile another buddy of mine and I were denied release to the EXACT SAME unit because we were "MOS q'd and deployable"...

oh theirony of it all..
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 4:14:39 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
happyface, did you see garand_shooter's post???

I hope he ignores it.  Giving a false address on a request for transfer is a violation of Article 107, UCMJ.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 9:25:36 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

2 things:

IG complaint

or

Move

First, the IG has absolutely zero authority to force your CoC to do anything, and the first thing they will do is say "did you use the chain of command?".  Second, moving to escape the unit will lead to admin reductions for AWOL down to E2, since there will be a lapse between when you leave and the new unit adding you to their rolls.  Happened to guys that transferred to us form out of state.  Yes, I promoted them back, but it was a pain in the ass.  If you want to go active, as long as your unit isn't under a stop loss they can't stop the transfer.  If you want to stay NG (and there are a lot of great NG units out there with great CoCs) simply write up an MFR.  Give it to your CO.  A few days later, to the BC.  A few days later, the Brigade/Group/Etc commander.  A few days later, the ATAG.  By the time you get to the ATAG you are usually dealing with a combat arms BG, who CAN force your Co to do the xfer, who came from a Armor or Infantry Bn that always needs good soldiers, and you used the CoC.  If you just go the IG/Congressional route without having first using your entire chain of command it makes you look like a bitch, and no high speed unit wants a bitch.

No, the IG doesnt.  However, it will start to grease the wheels of the CoC to get off their asses and make a decision.  Going through the IG will put pressure on the State, then in turn, the NGB will put pressure on the higher-ups of said unit who will then want to know why they are getting pressured upon for some unknown reason.

Unless things have changed, when you move, you have 90days to find a new unit to take you or otherwise you must go back to your original unit and drill with them again.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 9:30:05 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

There you go.

Part of the reason I left the service: The duds get over.

"Top, I need a good man to clean up a mess."

"Got just the man for you, Sir."

"Top, the General's coming to ........"

"I got just the guy to take care of that......"

Your problem?

You are not a fuck up.

Start fucking up and you'll be out of there like a shot.

BTDT.

ETA: It's hard being a person that cannot intentionally do a bad job. I'm that way, and there are times I hate myself for not being able to let myself intentionally fuck up.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top