Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/16/2006 6:42:54 AM EDT
This is better than the "forget the dog beware of owner" signs

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.wmcstations.com/Global/story.asp?S=4632022

Lakeland homeowner Jared Guys posted this target on the front of his house, which reads, "Trespassers will be executed, not prosecuted."

Lakeland homeowner posts unusual warning for would-be burglars
March 14, 2006, 03:04 PM PST  Warning Sign on Door: Janice Broach

It should be a potent warning for would be crooks: a gunner's range target on the front door of a Lakeland house, shot up by an accurate marksman- the homeowner.

"We put this sign up to hopefully deter it," homeowner Jared Buys said, referring to recent burglaries in Lakeland. "We don't want to use deadly force, but if we have to we will."

Buys, a Memphis firefighter and paramedic, said he put the target up after burglars kicked the doors at eight Lakeland homes, stealing cash, jewelry, and other items. Buys decided his target is the best way to protect his home and family.

It is not an idle threat...Buys is armed. He said he was driven to act after his home was broken into a couple of times last year. He said he had to do something to protect his family, so he bought a gun and learned how to use it.

"My wife and I both have permits," he said. "We both go to classes and we both go shooting very regularly."

"buys says he was broken into a couple of times last year. The crooks kicked his door in. He said that's when he decided he had to do something to protect his family so he bought a gun and started learning how to use it."

Neighbors that spoke to Action News 5 on Tuesday said the target was a good idea.

"I think it's a fair warning," said neighbor Kelly Straub. "Don't come into somebody's house. You don't have a right to be there, and if you're caught in there, yeah, I think you should be shot."

Buys said he knows the law: You have to fear for your life before you shoot. He said if that happens, he will be ready
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:43:52 AM EDT
[#1]
That's awesome until the piece of shit's family sues you. Good for him though.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:45:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Too bad it also says..."We have guns in the house...come steal them when we are not home."
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:45:48 AM EDT
[#3]
I thought about doing the same thing when I lived in an apartment, but then I realized it just advertised "weapons for stealing inside" for when I wasn't home and plus, if I ever had to use lethal force I figured some zealous attorney would use it against me.

Still I love it.,
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:47:29 AM EDT
[#4]
I like it
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:49:37 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Too bad it also says..."We have guns in the house...come steal them when we are not home."

Sounds like he has the carry permit.  I'd have it on me at all times.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:50:32 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
That's awesome until the piece of shit's family sues you. Good for him though.

Just a comment. I am somewhat surprised that things like that go to court.

Think about it: $750,000 paid out for a lawsuit vs, say $5000, 2 vials of crack, and a couple bags of Sakrete to make it go away.

I'm surprised I don't hear of it happening more often.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:57:17 AM EDT
[#7]
I think it's great.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:57:58 AM EDT
[#8]
So cool.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:58:35 AM EDT
[#9]
What?  No head shots?
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:04:57 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
What?  No head shots?

Only on ARFCOM
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top