Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/16/2006 6:19:27 AM EDT
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/custom/newsroom/chi-060315terror,1,7281670.story?coll=chi-news-hed

Feds probe photographers at Sears Tower

Tribune staff reports
Published March 15, 2006, 10:38 PM CST

Police and federal investigators are looking into an incident about three weeks ago at the Sears Tower in which three men caught the attention of security guards when they got out of their car and appeared to be studying the 110-story building and taking photographs.

The men were questioned by building security guards, but were allowed to leave, authorities said. The guards recorded the car's license plate and it was traced to a rental agency, a law enforcement source said.

The car was returned to the agency about an hour after the incident at the Sears Tower, the source said, and investigators from the Joint Terrorism Task Force learned that it had been rented with a fictitious name.

Chicago Police Department spokeswoman Monique Bond confirmed that the department is working with the task force to investigate, but added that she could not discuss the specifics of the incidents.

"We are aware of the information," Bond said. "We cannot comment at this time because it's part of the ongoing investigation."

Also within the last three weeks, according to a WLS-TV report, a man was questioned about sketching the Boeing World Headquarters building.

Copyright © 2006, Chicago Tribune
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:21:42 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/custom/newsroom/chi-060315terror,1,7281670.story?coll=chi-news-hed

Feds probe photographers at Sears Tower

Tribune staff reports
Published March 15, 2006, 10:38 PM CST

Police and federal investigators are looking into an incident about three weeks ago at the Sears Tower in which three men caught the attention of security guards when they got out of their car and appeared to be studying the 110-story building and taking photographs.

The men were questioned by building security guards, but were allowed to leave, authorities said. The guards recorded the car's license plate and it was traced to a rental agency, a law enforcement source said.

The car was returned to the agency about an hour after the incident at the Sears Tower, the source said, and investigators from the Joint Terrorism Task Force learned that it had been rented with a fictitious name.

Chicago Police Department spokeswoman Monique Bond confirmed that the department is working with the task force to investigate, but added that she could not discuss the specifics of the incidents.

"We are aware of the information," Bond said. "We cannot comment at this time because it's part of the ongoing investigation."

Also within the last three weeks, according to a WLS-TV report, a man was questioned about sketching the Boeing World Headquarters building.

Copyright © 2006, Chicago Tribune

Oh shit!!  That isn't a good sign...
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:22:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:28:25 AM EDT
[#3]
its pretty messed up that someone catchs gruff for sketching a building.  times are crazy
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:32:16 AM EDT
[#4]
tag
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:32:34 AM EDT
[#5]
What TV Show?

The Mighty Dodge.

"Need Dodge and directions to Sears Tower"

Hint : Wa Woosh, Now that's a MAN's flush.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:37:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Married with Children.

That scene was cut from syndicated re-runs.

Av.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:38:27 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
its pretty messed up that someone catchs gruff for sketching a building.  times are crazy

If by "sketching" you mean "Casing", sure, I agree...

Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:39:08 AM EDT
[#8]

Originally Posted By Tribune Sheeple Jackass:

Oh NO!!! Not the art students!  Please, somebody, save us from the art students!  Do it for the children!

Seriously... WTF?
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:43:35 AM EDT
[#9]
the fact that they noticed these guys, makes me think about all the ones they DIDN'T notice. certainly before and since 9/11 all the major targets have been "cased".

this and other large buildings are in the top ten as far as American terrorist targets and I'm stunned that anyone still considers another attack as a question of "if", rather than "when"...
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:43:48 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
What TV Show?

The Mighty Dodge.

"Need Dodge and directions to Sears Tower"

Hint : Wa Woosh, Now that's a MAN's flush.

The Ferguson!  What a great toilet.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:43:57 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Would it not be a good idea to at least check on them?  The fact that the guys in Chicago lied when they rented their car is VERY suspicious. A quick conversation would likely reveal if they were just art or architecture students or maybe something more.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:45:57 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Married with Children.

That scene was cut from syndicated re-runs.

Av.

Really?  That's sucks.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:47:07 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If by "sketching" you mean "Casing", sure, I agree... hr

Would it not be a good idea to at least check on them?  The fact that the guys in Chicago lied when they rented their car is VERY suspicious. A quick conversation would likely reveal if they were just art or architecture students or maybe something more.

yep. they turned the rental car in an hour later and it was rented under a fictitious name.

now, how do you rent a car - don't you have to give a driver's license? how easy are they to produce and why would someone "innocently" have one of those?...
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:03:06 AM EDT
[#14]
You have to have a Drivers License and a Credit Card at most major rental car companies. But after dealing with them on numerous occasions I would believe a 12 year old could rent from them with a bucket full of bananas as payment. Lets face it most of but not all of the people who work at rental car companies are a few steps below the people who serve big macks.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:38:02 AM EDT
[#15]
It could have been a dry run to test security and their response time. Takes a skilled security guy to notice events like this.

Anti-terrorism 101 - If it don't look right , check it out.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:44:47 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Right on... I think these guys were casing the joint, only not for a robbery. Probably testing security response or something. I was pointing out to nickforney that since, oh, the WTC bombing, just maybe it's a good idea to pay attention to people who shouldn't be somewhere...
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:03:34 AM EDT
[#17]
I've got co-workers and friend in that building.  I hope they stamp this out before anything happens to the tower.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:10:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:11:36 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Originally Posted By Tribune Sheeple Jackass:

Oh NO!!! Not the art students!  Please, somebody, save us from the art students!  Do it for the children!

Seriously... WTF?

+1.

So what if I want to go take a picture of the Sears tower or any historic architectual building in downtown Chicago?  That makes me a criminal? WTF OVER?!
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:15:31 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Right on... I think these guys were casing the joint, only not for a robbery. Probably testing security response or something. I was pointing out to nickforney that since, oh, the WTC bombing, just maybe it's a good idea to pay attention to people who shouldn't be somewhere...

I bet the Enemy is probing targets everyday, just like these three goons.....

Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:16:24 AM EDT
[#21]
Everything in Chicago makes you a criminal.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:17:27 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
So what if I want to go take a picture of the Sears tower or any historic architectual building in downtown Chicago?  That makes me a criminal? WTF OVER?!

If you are middle-eastern* and rent a car under an assumed name, someone should look into it.

*note: the article did not mention ethnicity, but I'll bet $50 that these guys did not look like they just came from a NASCAR race...
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:21:40 AM EDT
[#23]
The article didn't mention the ethnicity of these three people, but I'll give you one guess...

None of the "artists" I know travel in groups of three – in a rented vehicle obtained under a false name.

All of our resident art-lovers can whine all they want, but this was suspicious, and deserves to be investigated.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:23:23 AM EDT
[#24]
If you look at this link , then you must be a terrorist.

Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:24:52 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, what are you doing here? Where are your papers?

I just got back from D.C. and I cased out the entire city. I took tons of pictures of every federal building in town. I even got a few pictures of the capital guards with their M16's as well as a lucky shot where I zoomed in and got a bunch of security cameras on the capital that you would never notice with your naked eye.

I should be questioned in a room by myself with a spotlight. Maybe given some truth serum and a lie detector test just to make sure that I'm not lying about just being a tourist.

I see where you're going but if we don't look into activity like this then we run the risk of being blindsided again due to lack of diligence.

It's a fine line, but it must be walked.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:47:36 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you are middle-eastern* and rent a car under an assumed name, someone should look into it.

*note: the article did not mention ethnicity, but I'll bet $50 that these guys did not look like they just came from a NASCAR race...

I'd say you'd win that bet.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:49:00 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Any relation to James?
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 11:50:03 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, what are you doing here? Where are your papers?

I just got back from D.C. and I cased out the entire city. I took tons of pictures of every federal building in town. I even got a few pictures of the capital guards with their M16's as well as a lucky shot where I zoomed in and got a bunch of security cameras on the capital that you would never notice with your naked eye.

I should be questioned in a room by myself with a spotlight. Maybe given some truth serum and a lie detector test just to make sure that I'm not lying about just being a tourist.

A good security guy could walk up and say something like "Amazing building ain't it?", and the suspicious person's response would tell him all he needed to know.  Also, I am advocating racial profiling here. If a blonde mom and her two little toddlers are taking pictures, I'm not as concerned as I would be if it were three guys that look like they just got off the plane from Tehran. Since we apparently don't have that info on the guys in the article, we're just speculating anyway.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 11:51:55 AM EDT
[#29]
Oh and I read somewhere else that the guys were parked in an area that basically you shouldn't be parked in.

Someone from Chi-town will have to corroborate but evidently the area these guys were was off limits.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 11:55:37 AM EDT
[#30]
This happens more often than you think.
JTTF in MD has nabbed more than 1 *ahem* foreign fellows taking pictures of the Bay Bridge.

ETA: the fact that these guys were taking pics means about Jack and Shit.
The fact that their car was rented with a fake name does mean something though.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 3:21:32 PM EDT
[#31]
As I recall the Sears tower was listed a target in the "second wave" that could have occurred had we not have shut down air traffic after 9/11.
If we look at history they attacked the WTC twice, with the first not being a success.
If this should happen I think this would be the worst mistake and miscalculation of the terriorests.
Their goal is to show that they can take their attacks to the middle of the country and break us.
While this type of attack would hurt us the reaction form the middle of the country would bring a reaction that would call for total distruction of any group or country involved.
Had the first attack occurred in the middle of the country the Coasties would have said "ok we need to talk to them" but the middle country folks would and do want blood now.
The POLs. don't talk about the middle US but don't want us pissed.
We will rise up and force our point of view.
We already send per capita a higher percentage of people to the military.
Yes the Windy City has many Libtards, but that represent small town Southern IL. or IN. or Iowa.
We are tolerant but pissed we are a power to recon with.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:36:51 PM EDT
[#32]
I misread that.  I thought it said that a totally different man was questioned for sketching.  The rental car is yes a questionable(read arrest them and beat the answeres out) situation.  You also have to remember when you ask who would fake an id.  Well maybe it was a couple kids who flew in and rented a car off of there fake id because in alot of places you need to be 21 to rent a car.  And why would 19 or 20 year olds have fake id's hmm dunno.

theres are all just consipiracy theories.  I wouldn't doubt that they were terrorists and the suits nabbed one...good stuff.  the question is will they have anything in place in time to stop it from happening or will they just catch a bad guy who took a picture.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:43:55 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
the fact that they noticed these guys, makes me think about all the ones they DIDN'T notice. certainly before and since 9/11 all the major targets have been "cased".

this and other large buildings are in the top ten as far as American terrorist targets and I'm stunned that anyone still considers another attack as a question of "if", rather than "when"...

Every time I've heard Dick Cheney speak about Homeland terrorism, He always used the wording "When" Not If. Knowing full well, terrorism cannot be stopped, but rather, slowed.

The enemy has sworn to kill us on our soil.
The enemy also wants us disarmed.
Who's our worst enemy?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top