Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/15/2006 7:52:37 PM EDT
  I am thrying the choose between a glock 17 or a Beretta 92fs. Which one is better for home protection/ competition?
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:54:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Depends on the type of competition you're going to be shooting. For USPSA I'd go with the Glock. It's easier to reload, and trigger jobs are a snap to do with a little bit of polish.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:59:02 PM EDT
[#2]
If you're going to shoot USPSA, I would go with a Glock 35 unless you're shooting in Production division.  Shooting minor (9mm) can be a pretty big handicap.  There is no minor category in Prod. division.

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:59:08 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Depends on the type of competition you're going to be shooting. For USPSA I'd go with the Glock. It's easier to reload, and trigger jobs are a snap to do with a little bit of polish.

Three gun and Pactical Pistol.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:00:38 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

G-34 or G-17

If you go with the 17, add a 3.5# connector, extended mag release, and extended slide release.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:07:17 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

G-34 or G-17

If you go with the 17, add a 3.5# connector, extended mag release, and extended slide release.

Is the beretta not accurate enough?
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:09:21 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Of course it is. I know of a few GM's that shoot beretta's in production. Overall though, a Glock would be a better platform IMHO.

It's the shooter not the gun.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:15:19 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Of course it is. I know of a few GM's that shoot beretta's in production. Overall though, a Glock would be a better platform IMHO.

Exactly.

Beretta is a fine pistol, but the Glock is far easier to tinker with if you want to change things for competition use.

Plus, you get two extra rounds in the mag and you can add +5 extensions easily if you want them.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:19:28 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Exactly.

Beretta is a fine pistol, but the Glock is far easier to tinker with if you want to change things for competition use.

Plus, you get two extra rounds in the mag and you can add +5 extensions easily if you want them.

I'm with him...good advice.

HH
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:22:58 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Exactly.

HH

Oh, Ok. How "safe" is
the glock?
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:25:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Glock
for the guy who wants to shoot comp
(it alwasy goes bang,good for protection also, simplicity is often the answer to reliability)

go try both out  also accuracy is improved with a aftermarket bareel on the GLOCK but i would leave the stocker in for protection and use the good barrel for matches
just my $.02
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:26:52 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Oh, Ok. How "safe" is
the glock?

How safe are you?

No offense, but as long as you keep your finger off the trigger, both are just the same.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:27:46 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Oh, Ok. How "safe" is
the glock?

How safe are you?

No offense, but as long as you keep your finger off the trigger, both are just the same.

oh, ok.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:29:11 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Exactly.

HH

Oh, Ok. How "safe" is
the glock?

It's the safest pistol built if you are smart enough to keep your finger off the trigger.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:31:10 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Exactly.

HH

Oh, Ok. How "safe" is
the glock?

I owned a G27 and carried it for a year and a half.  Shot very well, and never had a problem with it.  I traded it because I didn't like the ergonomics of the grip.  I'd trust Glocks anyday but I just don't like they way they feel in my hand.  These problems you see are one-in-a-million type problems...they are excellent, relatively inexpensive weapons.

HH
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:44:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Cypher, It's like I'm hearing an echo
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 9:04:38 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Cypher, It's like I'm hearing an echo

Great minds think alike.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 9:48:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Gods gift the 1911. Its what all others aspire to be.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 9:52:55 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Oh, Ok. How "safe" is
the glock?

How safe PROFESSIONAL are you?

Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:44:51 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Gods gift the 1911. Its what all others aspire to be.

Yeah, seven round mags lend themselves well to competition shooting...

Using 10 round mags will normally make a 1911 finicky at best.

The high-capacity 1911's are expensive and are a pain in the ass to get running right.

In this case, the 1911 is definitely not the best choice for the job.

I'm a fan of both 1911's and Glocks but for what this guy is doing, a Glock will work best.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:04:29 AM EDT
[#20]

Nonsense. I've used 2 brands of 10 round mags (McCormicks & Wilsons) in at least 4 different 1911s and never had a problem.

The high-capacity 1911's are expensive and are a pain in the ass to get running right.

My Para took some work but the problems didn't have anything to do with it being a hicap. Just crappy workmanship. My STIs ran fine right out of the box.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:13:44 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Oh, Ok. How "safe" is
the glock?

How safe PROFESSIONAL are you?

HarHarHar.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:16:30 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
  I am thrying the choose between a glock 17 or a Beretta 92fs. Which one is better for home protection/ competition?

Which one do you shoot better?
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 3:15:32 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Which one do you shoot better?

Is it John Wayne? Is it me?
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 3:21:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Beretta 92fs Vertec.

1911 grip angle.  Better trigger than a regular 92fs.  Rail.

I love mine.

Link Posted: 3/16/2006 4:17:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Get the 17, it works, its not expensive. Out side of the US the G-17 is like the friggin' king (and the High Power to a degree)... I'm a 1911 guy, but the G17 is a good pistol, I have two.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:08:19 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Nonsense. I've used 2 brands of 10 round mags (McCormicks & Wilsons) in at least 4 different 1911s and never had a problem.

My Para took some work but the problems didn't have anything to do with it being a hicap. Just crappy workmanship. My STIs ran fine right out of the box.

Ah, so you're the 1 in 10 that always has nothing but good to say about hi-cap 1911's.

Every 1911 shooter I talked to when I was shooting USPSA said they had to tinker with their pistol and have smiths work on them to get them to run right.

That includes STI, SV Infinity, Brazo's Custom, etc. etc. etc.

The shooter is obviously a novice and wants a pistol that is HIGHLY likely to run 100% out of the box and is a high cap.  

Besides all that, he asked about Berettas and Glocks, not 1911's so we are simply hijacking his thread.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:14:01 PM EDT
[#27]
I own both and despite my user name love my 92FS however for IDPA , 3 gun and IPSC

I think that the glock is better just from the lack of heavy as first shot trigger pull

I can  only shoot to 9/10s of my glock scores and times  with my beretta , as i find i have to slow down just a tick to get a good hit with the 92  on the first shot

of course YMMV

both are fine pistols and will serve you well
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top