Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/15/2006 6:36:32 PM EDT
I received a letter from SC DMV tonight indicating that my license would be suspended for not having insurance.  This stems from an accident I had In October 2005 at which time I presented the responding officers with my insurance card.  He reviewed it wrote his report and left.  I contacted my insurance company and explained that I had been rear-ended and they told my to contact the other drivers carrier.  I did and received a check for the damages.   No problem right.  WRONG.  They want proof I was insured. ( I guess the having the police review the card at the accident wasn't good enough)  

I can't wait to call them and waste a few hours tomorrow.

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:37:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Doesn't everyone?  
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:38:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Doesn't someone shoot up the DMV like every 3 months or some crap. Like clock work.

Usually it is the person that works there.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:42:54 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Doesn't someone shoot up the DMV like every 3 months or some crap. Like clock work.

Nah, that's the post office. The DMV people aren't motivated enough to go postal, IMO.    
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:46:22 PM EDT
[#4]
I just spent all day and most of the night fixing a problem cause by a pencil pusher at the Navy.  THis guy had several weeks to review my report and answer my questions and waits until today to give it to his boss to review.  Of course she reviewed the document and had major changes( she knew everything about the project that I should have been told when I started or when I asked everyone else).

Basically, I hate people that can't do their jobs and I get to spend more time with them (DMV) tomorrow.

The best part, I have to go to the Dr. in the morning so she can check my blood pressure.  I think It's going to be high.  

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:54:38 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nah, that's the post office. The DMV people aren't motivated enough to go postal, IMO.    

O, isn't that ironic.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 9:31:37 AM EDT
[#6]
My insurance company needs to send them proof that I am insured.  I guess the document reviewed by the police wasn't good enough.  It's funny I asked her why she couldn't just look at the police report.  She indicated that they don't get those. I as her how they referenced the police report in the letter if they weren't able to get a copy.  She didn't answer.  She then said they (DMV) should have been notified that I had insurance after the accident.  So I asked when that became a requirment.  Again she didn't answer.  She then said I should have notiifed my insuracne company after the accident.  I told her I did and on their recomendation I didn't file a claim since the other driver was at fault and her insurance paid for the damages.  Simpling fishing expedition.  I wonder if every accident trriggers a letter.

The funny thing is my registration is due next month and I have to show a current insurance card to renew.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:33:22 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

O, isn't that ironic.

But true!

When I went to get my CCL renewed last time, I stood in line for what seemed like forever & then got to the front. The dumbass DMV clerk said, "Fill out this form & bring it back."

"I have to go to the end of the line again?"

"Yes", she says.

""Why wasn't this form out there with the REST of the DMV forms???!!!", I ask.

"Oh, we don't put those forms out there."

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry for the hijack.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:41:14 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep, the only time I longed to wait in a long line at the post office was after a long wait at the DMV... I had to take a shower after the DMV visit, it was a nasty place to be with alot of nasty people of foreign origin coughing, sneezing, etc, the nasty putrid fart someone ripped to fragence the room by...
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:56:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Compulsory vehicle insurance is one of the biggest scams forced upon the American people by U.S. states. But that's a topic for another thread. I've found the key to having a good in-person experience with the DMV is to go when all the welfare recipients and etc. are still asleep and everyone else is scrambling to get to work. Any time between 7 and 9:30 AM should do. I went at 8:45am the last time I had to renew my ID. There were only two people in front of me, and all the DMV workers were wide awake from their morning coffee and half-dozen donut sugar rush.

Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:09:13 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Any time between 7 and 9:30 AM should do.

Tried that. That was when every illegal mexican in Nashville was in line.    
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:39:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Highlights from a long story: I'm living in California and looking for a pickup. My dad, who lives finds one in MN for a good price and I buy it. I drive it out to Ca. and buy a trailer in Ca. to load up belongings in order to move to MN.

While in Ca. I lose the front plate when a traffic cone gets thrown up into my pickup. I have family in MN go to the license bureau the get replacements. My family mailed the replacements to me. I put the replacement plates on pickup, load up trailer and drive to MN. Trailer has Ca plates. I make to MN without incident.

Now it's time for plate renewal so I go to license bureau. I didn't receive the renewal notice so I don't have any paperwork, but no big deal, they can look it up based on the plate number. Except there was no record of that plate ever being given out.  

I drove 2200 miles in a pickup with invalid MN plates, towing a trailer, with CA plates,  jammed full of personal possessions. Only had 15 guns with a couple of thousand rounds of ammo in the trailer. I did have one pisol in a locked contained in the pickup cab. I wonder how long I would have been detained while that was sorted out.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:41:34 PM EDT
[#12]
the DMV, not a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

we must be cautious...
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 3:46:33 AM EDT
[#13]
I don't mind compulsory vehicle insurance after being in several accidents caused by other people.  I would even like to see illegal "guest workers" get a free trip south when they are caught without insurance.

What I think is crazy is notification to DMV that I have insurance after an accident.  Why even have the police check your card if your insuracne company is required to notify DMV? The DMW folks told me the police were suppose to give me a green sheet of paper to provide to my insuracne company. I told him they didn't.  DMV said they usually don't. So no paperwork, no notice that the state requires notification, just a letter six months later telingl me I was going to lose my license for not having my insurance company notify DMV after my accident.  

The DMV folks I spoke with told me that people were cancelling thier policies after paying one month and then still using their cards as proof of insurance.  Most states I have lived in just require the insurance company to notify the state when you cancel your policy.  The state then suspends your license.  Seems like that would be easier and cheaper than paying some drone to draft and mail a letter and then set-up a service center for me to call.

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 4:13:05 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
The DMV folks I spoke with told me that people were cancelling thier policies after paying one month and then still using their cards as proof of insurance.  Most states I have lived in just require the insurance company to notify the state when you cancel your policy.  The state then suspends your license.  Seems like that would be easier and cheaper than paying some drone to draft and mail a letter and then set-up a service center for me to call.

In Georgia, the cards don't mean squat anymore.  They have a state database of insured drivers, and the cops access that when they pull you over.  You can hand him 50 insurance cards, but if you're not in the database, you're screwed.  Can't get your tags renewed either.  Probably done to combat exactly that scam you mentioned.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 4:24:19 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

O, isn't that ironic.

But true!

When I went to get my CCL renewed last time, I stood in line for what seemed like forever & then got to the front. The dumbass DMV clerk said, "Fill out this form & bring it back."

"I have to go to the end of the line again?"

"Yes", she says.

""Why wasn't this form out there with the REST of the DMV forms???!!!", I ask.

"Oh, we don't put those forms out there."

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry for the hijack.

BobCole

That's the streamlined version.  I like the version with mulitple lines, epecially where you have to repeat the trip through lines because they didn't take care of business required down stream.

I went to a local contract office last week that was fairly efficient at one time - I was 17th in line, there was no perceptible progress at the 2 desks, and the place was missing more genes than Walmart at 11:30 pm.  I left and drove for 4 days with an expired license.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 4:28:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Preach it brother!
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 4:38:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Here in Ohio they do random checks on registered vehicles for insurance.  You are required by law to have insurance on ANY vehicle registered in the state of Ohio.  You don't even have to be driving it.

The tranny in my dad's van (that's transmission for you perv's out there ) went out, so he let the POS van sit in a driveway and bought a new one.  He transfered the insurance over to the new van but never called about cancelling the registration on the old van (who would?).  

He eventually got pulled over and the officer told him that he was driving under suspension (thank you DMV for letting him find out that way ).  Fortunately it was a local LEO and it was by the house so he let him drive home.  Turns out the suspension was automatic because his old (and broken) van still had a month or so left on the registration when he cancelled his insurance.  Knowing my dad, he probably made a few people at the DMV go home and kill a bottle of sleeping pills.  Fortunately it all got sorted out, but it wasted a lot of unnecessary time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top