Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/15/2006 4:22:57 PM EDT
They apparently discontinued the external extractor on "all" pistols except the .22 and .17 mach2. I'm guessing the buyers voted. Now if they can just remove that silly safety and I might even buy one. I want std interchangeable parts just like AR15s.

So do others I suppose.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:25:33 PM EDT
[#1]
It's been unoffical for a bit now.

Are you saying they've now offically stated this?
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:25:33 PM EDT
[#2]
I love my Series I Kimber.

Now I can't wait to buy another one, as soon as they get rid of that crappy safety system so I don't have to buy a Springer.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:26:44 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
It's been unoffical for a bit now.

Are you saying they've now offically stated this?

Kimber 2006 catalog..... every picture is void of the external extractor.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:26:48 PM EDT
[#4]
My guess was build guns.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:27:14 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I love my Series I Kimber.

Now I can't wait to buy another one, as soon as they get rid of that crappy safety system so I don't have to buy a Springer.

That's what I was gonna say.

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:32:17 PM EDT
[#6]
I just picked up a new CDP Ultra. When I went to the store, the gun had an external extractor and so I decided to pass. The owner overheard me and told me to wait a minute. He went in back, camo out with a brandy new one with the internal extractor -said they just came in a few days ago...sold!

edit: took her to the range and 300 rounds of WOLF produced no hicupps whatsoever. I was very pleased.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:34:48 PM EDT
[#7]

It's about time. But why did they have to go and do something smart now after all the trouble I had to go through dumping them as my 'official' hand gun?

I'm glad to hear but they may have already lost me. I went SIG after the whole external extractor deal and haven't looked back.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:07:13 PM EDT
[#8]
What safety system, Not familiar with Kimbers?
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:08:23 PM EDT
[#9]
hell, I thought you were gonna say Kimber was getting into the AR market...
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:09:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Lowered their prices?
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:11:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Do tell?  What is the "crappy safety system?"  My Kimber Custom II seems pretty standard.  I really don't care about an external extractor... but each his own.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:12:09 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I think he means the lawyer-required internal trigger lock???
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:15:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Sweet...now, for the new kimbers to hit the stores around me, and I might have me a .45 in a few months!
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:16:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:19:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Are Kimbers worth all the money?
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:21:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Yes they are!
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 9:50:40 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, they have a drop safety system that was added, that is turned off by the grip safety.  It's an added feature that purists like myself don't want.  I'll take the minor upgrades that help realiability, but I don't want an aftermarket safety system.  I want my gun like JMB designed, and most others do too.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 9:59:06 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, they have a drop safety system that was added, that is turned off by the grip safety.  It's an added feature that purists like myself don't want.  I'll take the minor upgrades that help realiability, but I don't want an aftermarket safety system.  I want my gun like JMB designed, and most others do too.

It isn't so much a feature that purists don't want, but rather something that the design never needed in the first place. CA's bullshit "drop tests" drop the gun on its muzzle to see if it'll go off. Springfield, Les Baer, and Wilson Combat 1911s all passed without needing a drop safety.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 10:01:18 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Are Kimbers worth all the money?

no and i own 2 a classic stainless from way back  and a Warrior
I just got the warrior cuz it looked cool

I will say my wilson is worth  every penny

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 10:05:28 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Lowered their prices?

+1
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 11:12:32 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It isn't so much a feature that purists don't want, but rather something that the design never needed in the first place. CA's bullshit "drop tests" drop the gun on its muzzle to see if it'll go off. Springfield, Les Baer, and Wilson Combat 1911s all passed without needing a drop safety.

I only own one 1911.  It's a Kimber without any kind of silly crap like that.  As soon as they make another one in Commander size, I'll have a 2nd. :)
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 11:19:13 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Do tell?  What is the "crappy safety system?"  My Kimber Custom II seems pretty standard.  I really don't care about an external extractor... but each his own.

the internal safety can be bypassed easily by replacing the firing pin with a series 70 firing pin.  Also, turn the weapon upside down and rack the slide a few times( empty weapon of course), if the slide does not return to full battery and hangs, then the safety plunger in the grip is too long and needs to be filed down a little too. Easy fixes to stupid safety "enhancements".
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 11:22:29 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
bestsmileys.com/thumbs/2.gif

It's about time. But why did they have to go and do something smart now after all the trouble I had to go through dumping them as my 'official' hand gun?

I'm glad to hear but they may have already lost me. I went SIG after the whole external extractor deal and haven't looked back.

Wait, let me get this straight, you hated the external extractor on the Kimber so much, that you went and bought a Sig which has an... (wait for it) ... AN EXTERNAL EXTRACTOR!

Don't get me wrong, I think the external extractor is silly too, but come on.

George (who owns an Orygun made Kimber Classic)
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 1:00:42 AM EDT
[#24]
I own three early model Kimbers and love them, I bought two TLE ll with grip-firering pin safety and external extracter, got rid of both POS's   adding crap to the original design is an abomination and makes the best side arm ever designed a unreliable expensive POS.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:15:35 AM EDT
[#25]
I haven't read the 06 catalog yet, just looked at pictures where I saw they were gone. I don't know if they even mention the removal of the external extractors. I wonder if they will admit that they made a mistake trying to change a timeless universal design of a Classic.

I'll read the words when I get the time. Hey, same thing I say about Playboy right?

Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:24:53 AM EDT
[#26]

What's the problem with the external extractor again?  It doesn't work as well as an internal, or it just doesn't look right on a 1911?  Thanks.

Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:31:18 AM EDT
[#27]
good
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:35:59 AM EDT
[#28]
I went to Gander Mtn a couple of weeks ago, and saw a TLE rail in the display.  I stopped and did a double take...  Internal extractor???  I was suprised to see it, because I hadn't heard the news yet.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:44:29 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:59:32 AM EDT
[#30]
Funny.

I was watching Guns and Ammo TV this weekend where they had a Kimber exec. touting thier external extractor.

I love my Ultra CDP II with internal extractor.  
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:40:12 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:
bestsmileys.com/thumbs/2.gif

Wait, let me get this straight, you hated the external extractor on the Kimber so much, that you went and bought a Sig which has an... (wait for it) ... AN EXTERNAL EXTRACTOR!

Don't get me wrong, I think the external extractor is silly too, but come on.

George (who owns an Orygun made Kimber Classic)

Those are the best Kimber's ever made but did you know even though it says "clackamas" on the slide it was still actually manufactured in Yonkers still?

Also fellows, just because you see it in a catalog doesn't mean Kimber Officially came out and announced the switch.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:57:02 AM EDT
[#32]
I wonder what their new buzzword will be for the internal extractor.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:59:55 AM EDT
[#33]
looking opn the bright side, now my series II pro tactical II is a collector's item!

right guys?

Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:07:37 AM EDT
[#34]
Their website still shows them on some models.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:33:18 AM EDT
[#35]
Made a gun as reliable as a Glock?
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 11:39:13 AM EDT
[#36]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoted:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoted:

No, they have a drop safety system that was added, that is turned off by the grip safety. It's an added feature that purists like myself don't want. I'll take the minor upgrades that help realiability, but I don't want an aftermarket safety system. I want my gun like JMB designed, and most others do too.

Posted :: 3/16/2006 12:50:40 AM CST

Mall-Ninja
Team Member
........"BANG"........

Post Number :: 4932

CA, USA

User Info     IM User     Email User     Reply     Quote  

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, they have a drop safety system that was added, that is turned off by the grip safety. It's an added feature that purists like myself don't want. I'll take the minor upgrades that help realiability, but I don't want an aftermarket safety system. I want my gun like JMB designed, and most others do too.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Are you saying that the Kimbers failed this test or that it isn't needed at all? Is that why CA required them to be installed?
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 11:41:39 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
What's the problem with the external extractor again?  It doesn't work as well as an internal, or it just doesn't look right on a 1911?  Thanks.

Both
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 11:50:08 AM EDT
[#38]
I have a one of the original kimber custom classics.  It only says custom nothing else does this pistol also suffer from those problems? Any help would be great thanks?
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 12:20:13 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
I have a one of the original kimber custom classics.  It only says custom nothing else does this pistol also suffer from those problems? Any help would be great thanks?

Nope. The "II" designation meant the added safety.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:11:04 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
looking opn the bright side, now my series II pro tactical II is a collector's item!

right guys?

Yes and possibly difficult to find an extractor for years down the road. That's why I like std extractors.

M4-AK
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:22:31 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

No, they have a drop safety system that was added, that is turned off by the grip safety.  

So, that would be a FPS, similiar to the Colt Series 80 then???????
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top