Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/15/2006 11:53:59 AM EDT
I work at a great company but my job just isn’t paying what I want to make.  I run the CAD systems and I am already above my average salary for my job responsibilities.  I am looking to get out of the engineering business too, I really don’t like the feast/famine cycles.  I want to do right by the company and not burn any bridges.  

We are currently really busy and they are looking for me to work overtime but I am currently taking 12 credit hours, will be taking 16 in the summer, 12 in the fall and 8 in the winter so I am not able to work overtime.  To top it off there are only two CAD operators and I am one of them.  I was planning on telling them that I would be leaving after graduating in April ’07 but now I am wondering if I should tell them now and get some else in here to learn the job. They are fully aware I am taking classes so it is not a secret or anything but they have never said anything about replacing me.

What say you?
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 12:05:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, there is no harm in trying to get a better salary.  I would go for it, however it is never good to broadcast the fact throughout the company that you are going to be leaving the company etc.  I've seen people get canned with in that time, ie the company all of sudden finds a suitable candidate to replace you but can't hire because you're occupying the FTE, solution they can you and hire the other guy.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 12:09:12 PM EDT
[#2]
DO NOT, and I repeat DO NOT tell them you plan on leaving.

If somebody came in my office and said they were leaving in a month, or two or six, my first thought would be that person is using my kindness to keep a paycheck coming in until they get their next job, they are not giving a 100% job, etc.

When the time comes for you to leave, clean out your office, and give the standard two week notice. If they tell you to leave, that's fine because you have nothing to clean out.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 12:25:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Don't tell 'em shit. They'd dump you in a heartbeat if they could find someone with the same qualifications, to work for half the money.
Let them find out when you dont come to work.

And, telling them pretty well insures they will find something to fire you for.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 12:29:59 PM EDT
[#4]
do what i did, Go in and tell your boss your not happy and ask why there is no work in the shop, if he was like my old boss he will say, Not your problem if you dont like it leave, you then tell him that your only there for the pay cheque, i had 3 full weeks of sitting around searching for jobs on works time till i found another job

I start my new Job tomorrow as a Post sales service enginneer for a Cad/Cam reseller

My first full week will be spent in Germany at a conference

Old boss Nowhere to be seen, after i let it be known that i wanted to talk to him before i left,

James
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 12:37:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Don't tell 'em one second before you have to.  Trust me on this one.  You WILL get shat on somehow if you give them any opportunity.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 12:43:27 PM EDT
[#6]
I don’t want to be a jerk about quitting because they have been good to me but holy crap if they can’t figure out that my major has nothing to do with my current job there is not much I can do other than draw a pretty picture.

I am really bored with the job currently and it is not getting any better and my pay is pretty well stuck so I am ready to leave now.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 12:44:09 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Don't tell 'em one second before you have to.  Trust me on this one.  You WILL get shat on somehow if you give them any opportunity.

Depends on the boss.

A CAD operator (and Machine operator, didn't specify if you run the machines either) takes a very long time to train.

If you give your boss plenty of notice, he/she may appreciate it.  Our last machinist let us know he was leaving which gave us plenty of time to hire a new person and get them trained.  It was something considerate he did so we wouldn't be without a trained operator.

Just because some bosses/owners are assholes, doesn't mean we all are.

If you know your boss, and he/she is reasonable, they're shouldn't be any problem giving them some notice.

Stiffing your employer without giving them time to find a suitable replacement might bite you in the ass later, YMMV.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 12:53:19 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Depends on the boss.

A CAD operator (and Machine operator, didn't specify if you run the machines either) takes a very long time to train.

If you give your boss plenty of notice, he/she may appreciate it.  Our last machinist let us know he was leaving which gave us plenty of time to hire a new person and get them trained.  It was something considerate he did so we wouldn't be without a trained operator.

Just because some bosses/owners are assholes, doesn't mean we all are.

If you know your boss, and he/she is reasonable, they're shouldn't be any problem giving them some notice.

Stiffing your employer without giving them time to find a suitable replacement might bite you in the ass later, YMMV.

I am a standard run of the mill CAD monkey.  I just draw building schematics sections and details.  The position does require you to learn a lot of things which is why I was thinking about telling them so that I would have a year or so to train the next 'victim'.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 1:08:39 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
DO NOT, and I repeat DO NOT tell them you plan on leaving.

If somebody came in my office and said they were leaving in a month, or two or six, my first thought would be that person is using my kindness to keep a paycheck coming in until they get their next job, they are not giving a 100% job, etc.

When the time comes for you to leave, clean out your office, and give the standard two week notice. If they tell you to leave, that's fine because you have nothing to clean out.

Great advice
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 2:18:52 PM EDT
[#10]
I have seen guys give notice at other places and just get fired on the spot but that is not really how this company works, there are only nine of us in the office and there are only 2 CAD guys so if I were to just leave with no more than a two week notice it could make it rough for the rest of the office.  

These guys are good guys it is my job that is the problem and there is no more room to grow.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top