Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/15/2001 6:22:53 AM EDT
I am depressed.  Was feeling wierd the last few days and went to the doc yesterday & he told me I have a 2X hernia.  My dad had a few of these and so has my brother and they freakin hurt.  I don'ta lika the pain.[B)]
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 6:24:40 AM EDT
[#1]
And I have always been in great shape.
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 6:29:27 AM EDT
[#2]
I just had surgery a couple of weeks ago.  

I had a belly button overhaul. All I can say is  GADAMN THAT HURT!

Good luck dude.
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 7:04:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Just take it easy [b]old man![/b] [:)]
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 7:07:50 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm pretty good shape, I'm still a 31 inch waist and I can still do a good number of pushups...I just don't get it...six months ago it was my back, froze up on me and I was in serious pain for 2 weeks.
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 7:46:43 AM EDT
[#5]

I'm pretty good shape, I'm still a 31 inch waist and I can still do a good number of pushups...
View Quote

That's what we all said. We never admit that we are over the hill.  I said that too...BUT THAT WAS 20 YEARS AGO!... [>Q]
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 12:13:10 AM EDT
[#6]
what the hell is a belly button overhaul ?
holy crap that sound nasty whatever it is
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 12:17:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Hey Sat, I had a 2X hernia twice!! Not fun, but ok now, and can do anything. But its a shock'n experience. Did you have a good birthday and follow my advice?
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 5:07:10 AM EDT
[#8]
1Feral1,

Check your email, thanks.  
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 5:18:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Found this somewhere and thought you might like it!!

It's the little old lady from Pasadenaaaaa....

(Go granny go granny go granny go)
Has a pretty little flower bed of white gardenias
But parked in a rickety old garage
Is a brand new, shiny red Super Stock Dodge

And everybody's sayin' that there's nobody meaner
Then the little old lady from Pasadena
(She drives real fast and she drives real hard)
She's the terror of Colorado Boulevard

It's the little old lady from Pasadena

If you see her on the street don't try to choose her
You might drive a goer but you'll never lose her
Well she's gonna get a ticket now sooner or later
'Cause she can't keep her foot off the accelerator

And everybody's saying that there's nobody meaner

It's the little old lady from Pasadena

Go granny go granny go granny go

The guys come to race her from miles around
But she'll give 'em a length and she'll shut 'em down

And everybody's saying that there's nobody meaner

It's the little old lady from pasadena

Link Posted: 8/16/2001 5:20:38 AM EDT
[#10]
[B)]
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 2:30:29 PM EDT
[#11]
see what happens when you lift up cases of 308 ammo by yourself[:(]

kidding aside are you going to have it fixed?
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 2:41:49 PM EDT
[#12]
The first week following surgery is absolutely miserable! You don't realize how much you depend on your abdominal muscles to move around until you've had abdominal surgery.

Use the pain pills, but don't forget the laxatives that should be prescribed with them. Opium based pain pills will constipate you. You do NOT want to have any problems down there when healing.

Sounds fun, huh.

I healed quickly, back to full duty in about three weeks. Some take much longer, up to five or six weeks, depending upon physical condition and extent of repair.

I'm not trying to scare you away. I recommend you get the repair. It's worth it.

Good luck!

I almost forgot, do NOT go to E-bay while on medication. I did, and bought LOTS of stuff.
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 3:10:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
what the hell is a belly button overhaul ?
holy crap that sound nasty whatever it is
View Quote

It's a repair of an umbilical (bellybutton) hernia. My inny turned to an outy... Then I went to work too soon working to hard and tore the stitch holding my inny down out.  Now my belly button looks like a volcano....  Nothing I can do about it untill the swelling goes down either... I am still working and screw those pain pills! That stuff makes me stupid!
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 3:31:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Good luck!
I almost forgot, do NOT go to E-bay while on medication. I did, and bought LOTS of stuff.
View Quote

HAHAHAHA[smoke]
You must have an Attorney in your famly tree.
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 6:24:58 AM EDT
[#15]
I feel for you bud! I have been there also. The cure is MUCH worse than the problem! My advice is to just go get it over with, thats what I did. The laxative suggestion is a good one, and I have one more. Dont do anything that will cause you to cough or sneeze THE PAIN WILL KNOCK YOU DOWN!
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 6:54:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I am depressed.  Was feeling wierd the last few days and went to the doc yesterday & he told me I have a 2X hernia.
View Quote

What are you, some kind of 'overachiever'?.  A single hernia wouldn't do for you so you went for the twofer?

Seriously man, take it easy and take your pain meds only when you need them..but DO take them.  Studies indicate that unchecked pain actually delays the healing process.  And you don't want to prolong THAT kind of discomfort.

Get well soon.
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 7:01:10 AM EDT
[#17]
Thanks everyone, I'm seeing Dr. Cooper in Mesa on the 27th & I'll go from there.  Pain, pain go away, come again some other day. My insurance said I can have the endoscopicallithingajiggy, which is a hole in the stomach and they reach way down and fix it from there...if this be the case, then I am home free, hopefully.  [xx(]
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 5:15:03 PM EDT
[#18]
I didn't experience as bad a pain like you others. I've had the same inguinal hernia fixed 3 times - mesh the last two. All these were under local anesth. or Verced. The Endoscopic is mesh repair from the inside the abdominal cavity. It's supposed to be the best way, my Doc said that's what I'll get next time. Think of it as repairing an innertube either from the inside or outside. Normally the mesh attaches on the outside of the muscle ring. Endoscopic has the patch put on inside with the pressure trying to push it out through the ring (inguinal that is). The only thing I don't like about it is you go under general anesth. - completely out! I like to stay awake and tell jokes - DON'T PUT ME TO SLEEP MAN!!!  The worst part for me, besides the lifting restriction, & sitting around, was after one surgery when the Nurse said she'd cath' me if I didn't pee soon enough. Now, I was numb from the waist down but I got up and had my wife hold the urinal for me....."Am I peeing yet?", "No not yet Honey!", strain, strain, strain.....
Nothing like the threat of having a rubber hose shoved up the length of my willy to get me moving.  BTW, being  "in shape" doesn't always keep someone from getting a hernia. Sometimes it's just genetics. I figured I abused my body too much during my time in the military, oilfields and shoeing horses. Last bit of advice, make DAMN sure you stick to their lifting/exertion orders, and I second the idea of having laxatives around IF you need them.  Take care and may you fare well!
WSmac
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 5:22:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Man,you are in for some SERIOUS PAIN!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top