Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/13/2006 11:54:34 AM EDT
Need to 're-point' ye ole brick on the Casa.

Is this something a half nit wit can do or should I just farm it out?
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:57:10 AM EDT
[#1]
And I thought this was gonna be a thread about ARFCOMs secret religious cult. Man, I'm paranoid.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:59:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Naw, sorry.

But thanks for the bump
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 12:00:44 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
And I thought this was gonna be a thread about ARFCOMs secret religious cult. Man, I'm paranoid.

I was thinking the same thing.

Although, the "secret" part is kind of silly anymore. It's not like you can't buy a book that tells you everything you ever cared to know.

I wish the Clampers were in Ohio. Those guys were cool, and one of the few things I miss about California.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 12:33:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Farm it out.  Even the guys I know that do everything else pay someone else to do their masonry work.  Also, any problems you have with your work will be very expensive to fix.  Finding someone to do brick work shouldn't be expensive.  The last four guys I hired did a very good job, and they only asked for $6 cash per hour.

The only way I'd consider doing it myself is if I lived out in the middle of nowhere and didn't care about how the results looked.z
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 12:39:30 PM EDT
[#5]
why are you repointing it how bad is the morter ? or is it hair line cracks and water intursion  a little more info please
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 1:15:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Well the home is 17 years young.  And it needs a facelift.  We are prep'ing to paint it.
There are some cracks in the likely areas and a couple small holes(?) in a few places where the mortar is gone.  About the size of a pencil (dia.)
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 1:55:34 PM EDT
[#7]
dampen the area before repointing the missing morter after repointing spray it all with a good grade of water sealer if you find a good tuckin trowl it should go pretty fast its not to hard just go easy and keep the brick arround the area clean nothin looks worse than morter smeared brick lay the mud on the large masons trowl or stucco hawk and rake it in to the joint with the tuckin trowl you can clean off the brick if you get lime on them with muriatic acid and water pour the acid in the water not the other way around........ a 10% acid to water solution should do it wear rubber gloves  (or dont make a mess of your pointin)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top