Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/12/2006 3:04:52 PM EDT
My Nextel service sucksass lately. As a matter of fact, for the past few months my Nextel has sucked ass. I get no signal, lose calls when I do get through, etc. I have to keep mine for now as my wife gets free Nextel from her job, so until she can convince her boss to get another service we're stuck with it.

So how's your Nextel?
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 3:10:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Mine works fine, though I will probably get rid of it when my contract ends later this year.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 3:11:04 PM EDT
[#2]
ever since sprint took over, nextel sucks.   when i complained i was offer a change to sprint.

i am going to verizon very soon.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 3:18:16 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't have Nextel, but a bit of information which may be of interest to those who do:

After the "first responder" fiasco of 9/11, one of the first things that the department of homeland security did was to work with the FCC to see what could be done to improve communications between different groups.

The end result was that they decided that everyone had to move to 800/900MHz and use P25 trunked systems (don't ask why that choice ... it has a lot to do with whizz-bang technology and political maneuvering of Motorola. They may live to regret the choice ... or rather, we may).

The only problem was that there was not enough bandwidth available for all the new systems, so the FCC is in the process of "re-banding" various service.

One of the largest impacts is for Nextel. As is usual with US cellular companies, they took an pre-existing system and bastardised it, including not using the world-standard frequencies, so that they could control the handset market and all the peripheral services which should be free but they charge for.

Now Nextel have to move to world-standard frequencies -- which are miles away from where they are. Every single piece of RF equipment they own will have to be replaced, as well as every single handset of every single Nextel customer.

So, they will not be spending any money on new equipment, or on costly maintenance of existing equipment. Even with the money the government are giving them to move, they may not be able to make it.

ETA: Link to news article on Nextel accepting the FCC order.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 3:21:30 PM EDT
[#4]

I love the special ring that Nextel guys have when I call them:

"Please wait while the Nextel subscriber you are trying to reach is located"
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 3:25:53 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

EXACTLY!
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 3:28:56 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

EXACTLY!

+100,000,000

Nextel is the worst.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 3:48:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Mine sucked baboon ass. The coverage area was not NEARLY what was described in their flyer, and in my opinion THEY breached their contract by not providing me with the service they promised.

I did not buy my phone from them, but got it as one of three that I bought used so they made no cash outlay on my behalf by selling me a phone at a discounted price...

So...last April 2005 I called them up to cancel my account. The customer service person on the other end of the line said that I could avoid the cancelation charge if I went onto a "seasonal rate plan" and paid a $5 maintenance fee per month until the contract expired (Jan 2006) so I said "what the hell?" and agreed to go on the "Seasonal Rate Plan" and did not use the phone, period... no incoming and no outgoing calls so I removed the battery from the phone and put it in a locker and forgot about it...

Fast forward 6 months later and I get a full month bill from Nextel saying that my "seasonal rate plan" had "expired" and I was now back on full rate plan. I told them that the phone did not work as promised, I bought the phone from a private company, and that the seasonal rate plan was supposed to be in effect until the contract expired in January 2006 (thank GOD that I had recorded the conversation in April when I called to cancel and agreed to let it expire on the seasonal plan)

ANYWHO, they put me on hold for about 30 minutes, (aren't speaker phones wonderful?) and then they finally came back with a "Supervisor" who was some snotty obviously black female who told me that "Seasonal Rate Plan" just plaecd my account "On-Hold" for the 6 month period and my contract NOW did not expire until OCTOBER 2006! I told this bitch that this was not what had been explained to me and she read back what was in their computer log of my account that "I had been explained the seasonal rate plan and agreed..." so I was supposedly stuck on the hook for a $200 early termination fee. I then told her what I had been told and she said that "their records did not agree with my description" and she finally said that she did not care what I had been told and that I had to pay the $200 or continue with full service, so I pulled the audio tape of the original conversation and started to play it back on my answering machine while Ms Bitch tried to rudely talk over me. Then she said that she did not care what the other customer service rep had told me, "She was not going to waive the $200 early termination fee..."

So then I started to play back OUR conversation that we had just had AND THE BEEOTCH WENT FULL DEFCON 4 BALLISTIC and started SCREAMING at me that I was "violating FEDERAL law by audiotaping the telephone conversation because she did not know that the conversation was being taped and she was going to call the FBI on me". I have worked in Title III law enforcement issues for the past 13 years and I began to quote her Title III of the Omnibus Crime Act of 1968, US Code 18 and explained the part about "one-party consent" as the phone call had originated from Oklahoma it did not mean squat what the law said in her state because Oklahoma adhered to USCC. She finally gave up when she could not give a legitimate defense and said that she was not waiving the early termination fee and then she snapped "This conversation is over!" and hung up the phone on me.

A few months went by and I got the collection agency letter saying that I owed them $200 or they would crap on my credit file. I sent them back a "Cease-Com" letter by certified mail, firing them as a collection agency and saying that the fight was between me and Nextel and to butt-out (perfectly legal...and they DO HAVE TO CEASE AND DESIST ALL COLLECTION ATTEMPTS.

Haven't heard from those cocksuckers since, but I have joined a class action law suit against them for the same reasons.

Will keep you posted as things develop.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 4:05:42 PM EDT
[#8]
The last time I communicated with Nextel was to tell them I would NEVER under no uncertain terms EVER use their services again after the severe ass pounding I recieved from them.As I recall, and this was about 3 years ago, but I think what happened was I thought I was on a plan that would allow me and my wife no long distance or roaming charges....That's what I was informed of anyway...After using nextel for about two years, they sent me a bill, which I always paid on time, and on the back of the bill in very small print was a notice that my plan was going to be arbitrarily changed in a month to not include long distance or roaming charges unless I upgraded to a fancier plan...Coincidentally my father passed away around the same time the month elapsed, and while traveling out of state to go to his funeral, I used the phone to call everyone and his brother to keep in touch with family, and to inform them and coordinate the funeral...by the time we recieved out next bill it had gotten to over $400.oo! I almost shit my pants, and called immediately Nextel to find out what was the problem...After ,I'm not kidding, a week and dozens of hours on the phone with those asshats, I finally got to the last asshole that told me that he didn't care if I cancelled my plan, I had to pay...Fair warning folks, these people have no heart, and really couldn't give two shits about you...I will NEVER use their shitty service again.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 4:13:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Mine works fine and dandy
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 4:18:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Its always been terrible in my area.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top