Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/11/2006 7:36:34 PM EDT
OK. First of all, NO "IBTP" because ther is NO POLL COMING.

Ready?

Here is the scenario. You are in a shopping mall and with a family member. Lets say a minor child. You go to your car and he/she opens the car door wide and DINGS the car next to you... its nothing major but its a good ding. There are many people around that may have seen it happen. What do you do?

1. Leave like nothing ever happened

or

2. Leave a note with your # and an apology
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SECOND part... Now you are the victim of the 'ding', you have a decent vehicle with quite a few dings on both sides of your car, if a person left a note... what would you do?
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:37:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Option 2.  

Recently, a friend of mine backed into a car and just drove away.  It really pissed me off.  
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:41:23 PM EDT
[#2]

I am always extremely careful about not touching other peoples' cars, and I would feel compelled to leave a note with my number if I (or a family member) accidentally dinged someone's car.

But, my current car has a number of dings (none of which the perpetrators left me a note for), so I'd just let it slide if someone else dinged me - but I might call them just to thank them for their refreshing honesty.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:41:39 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd consider leaving a note depending on how bad the ding was...as far as if it happened to my vehicle, I drive a Jeep, dings add to the character
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:41:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Make a larger dent with a second blow...  if there are any antiamerican bumper stickers on the vehicle.   e.g.  Kerry 04, World peace, hate is not  family value, etc.....  
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:43:13 PM EDT
[#5]
option 2. Leave a note. A close friend runs a body shop.

Pt. 2: I'd call and thank them for their honesty. If my vehicle had quite a few dings as in the given scenario, I wouldn't be too worried about it.

ETA damn i type slow
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:43:21 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm morality impaired.

But I'm honest about it.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:43:22 PM EDT
[#7]
My first IBNT!!

Kinda depends on the make and how many libtard bumperstickers are on it.

Volvo, Subaru, etc

Kerry/Edwards, Nuke the Whales, Bush lied and many died, etc.

With those kind of stickers it might get extra attention.

J/K

Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:43:45 PM EDT
[#8]
shit

i would have trained my kids beforehand to be careful with doors when other cars are parked close

my mom drove a minivan when i was young, so i never had this problem as a child.... thankg od for sliding doors....
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:44:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Oh, I knew one guy I worked with like 18 years ago that made a wide turn and hit a car... people saw him so he stopped and said "Oh crap man" he took out a piece of paper and left a note for the person he hit.

I said that was cool that he at least left a note... He said "what are you talking about? I wrote 'Sorry I hit your car dude, but I had to leave'"

He made it look like he left one.. WHAT A DICK!

then again he was quite the story teller so who knows if it is even true or not
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:45:43 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
My first IBNT!!

IBNT?
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:48:13 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
My first IBNT!!

IBNT?

I'm guessing it's "In before the Napolean_Tanerite"!
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:48:18 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
My first IBNT!!

IBNT?

You know... that guy that's everywhere.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:48:26 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
My first IBNT!!

IBNT?

In before Napoleon_Tanerite.

It's the new IBTP.  

Anyway, I'd have to go with option 2, unless it wsa a hippie wagon
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:50:06 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I am always extremely careful about not touching other peoples' cars, and I would feel compelled to leave a note with my number if I (or a family member) accidentally dinged someone's car.

But, my current car has a number of dings (none of which the perpetrators left me a note for), so I'd just let it slide if someone else dinged me - but I might call them just to thank them for their refreshing honesty.

Same here.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:50:12 PM EDT
[#15]
My wife actually did this a little while back. We left a note on the guys truck  with our number and he never called.

We were tempted to just walk, but we felt bad and knew we would feel better about it later if we just did the right thing and left a note.

Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:50:33 PM EDT
[#16]
My kids know better then to ding cars, so it wouldnt happen.

As for dings on my car...Dude, its a CAR. Its a depreciating asset that most likely will not have a useful life beyond roughly 7 years depending. While dings dont make me happy, it isnt like its a Ming vase. Its a car, a hunk of fiberglass that takes me from point A to point B and will wear out and die. If I had a car that was "something more" I sure as fuck wouldnt be taking it to the mall and grocery store.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:53:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Me? No. 1   It's the hazards of parking in a parking lot. I had a car painted when I was 16. I learned to park waaaay out in the boonies if I didn't want it dinged. This is something I've done ever since. Now I would instruct the child to be careful and mindful of hitting the next car. But I wouldn't leave a note unless there was major damage. I don't envision just opening a car door causing enough damage for me to leave a note.

Now if I found a note I would either throw it away or call and thank them and tell them not to worry about it. Unless the damage was so severe that even I would leave a note. As I said, hazard of parking next to other vehicles.

If I tagged a car with my bumper or such I would stay around and wait for owner. Hit and run is what other people do, not me.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:53:47 PM EDT
[#18]

1.  If I ding someone's car, I'm going to leave a note and contact information.

2.  WHEN SOME SOB DINGED MY REAR PASSENGER QUARTER PANEL IN DECEMBER, THEY DID NOT EVEN LEAVE A NOTE.  NO, INSTEAD, THEY THREW THEIR DOOR OPEN HARD ENOUGH THAT IT MADE A REAL DENT, TOOK OFF PAINT, AND THEN SCRAPED UP AND DOWN THE SIDE OF MY CAR WHEN THEY THREW THEIR "I BEAT ANOREXIA" ASS INTO THE SEAT.

If someone left a note, I'd have the ding fixed and probably forgive them the amount, or split it with them.  When they don't leave a note, I support sentancing them to 20 years in the electric chair at 90 volts.

Jim
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:55:20 PM EDT
[#19]
The same dilemma sorta happened to me, except in my case I just barely scraped the rear corner of a car while pulling into a parking spot. It was just the rear plastic bumper, no dings or anything, nothing but a couple of not-too-obvious 1" scratches. The car looked like crap to begin with (the entire front hood looked like it had been detailed with a weed whacker). I could easily have just parked in a different spot quick, but I resisted the temptation. This was at work, so when the lady who owned it came back to her car I apologized to her....

...and she went NUTS on me. I'm talking like twenty straight minutes of this white-trash looking blonde doing nothing but yelling, yelling and more yelling in the middle of a crowded public parking lot. I felt like the scum of the earth, EVERYONE in the area was staring maliciously glaring at me while she was yelling. With the way she was acting, you'd have thought I had just ran over her two daughters and her pet cat and backed over them again for good measure. FORTUNATELY for me, she had a husband/boyfriend with her that was actually a really cool guy, and he kinda clamed her down. They finally left without me getting in trouble (I....no, we....somehow sucessfully convinced her to not bother going down the insurance claim route).

Just thinking about this incident still makes me pretty uncomfortable. And you know what? I'd do the same thing if I had to do it over again. Twenty minutes of USMC-drill-seregant-wannabe-makes-a-grown-man-want-to-cry butt-chewing was better than the torment my conscience would've put me through. The lesson? DRIVE CAREFULLY!
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 8:03:45 PM EDT
[#20]
I chose option 1 way back when this happened to me.

Not proud of it, but I did.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 8:07:37 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
My first IBNT!!

IBNT?

In before Napoleon_Tanerite.

It's the new IBTP.  

Anyway, I'd have to go with option 2, unless it wsa a hippie wagon

IANT!!
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 8:11:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Honestly, it would prob. depend on the car
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 8:27:42 PM EDT
[#23]
I would leave a note.  Happened already to me, backed into a car, left small dent in bumper.  Left my info, they called, said thanks, but no big deal, was an older car.  So I would always leave info, and If my car was dented like that, I wouldnt even bother, but to thank the party as well.

Link Posted: 3/11/2006 8:30:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Option 1.

Link Posted: 3/11/2006 8:32:23 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Honestly, it would prob. depend on the car

yep.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 8:32:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Kill the child.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 8:39:59 PM EDT
[#27]
had a hit and run on my new car a few years back. I was furious. Passenger door was smashed in bad. Always #2
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 8:42:29 PM EDT
[#28]
I urinated on a car with a Kerry/Edwards sticker on it
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 8:43:47 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I urinated on a car with a Kerry/Edwards sticker on it

I urinated in a car with a Kerry/Edwards sticker on it
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 8:45:05 PM EDT
[#30]
I don't want to live in a society where people go around damaging other people's property without making compensation.  Option 2, for sure.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 8:45:58 PM EDT
[#31]
I bought one of these DING KING kits a few years ago, good investment. I have had people ding my vehicles, I have popped it right back out and maybe added a little touchup paint. I dinged a car in an apartment complex I lived in a couple of years ago and just popped it back out with the Ding King without even telling them. Also fixed a few dings on coworkers cars with it.

I have dinged a car or two in parking lots over the years and just left, shit happens to me sometimes, might as well happen to everybody else as well every now and again. I don't get mad if it happens to me, I EXPECT it to happen when parking next to other cars.

Link Posted: 3/11/2006 8:46:25 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Kill the child.

WTF?
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 8:48:57 PM EDT
[#33]
If you think a door ding entitles you to a note from the "offender," you can't afford the car you're driving. Expecting any notice or consequence to a ding in a parking lot where you voluntarily parked your car would be like expecting the Highway Department to send a crew to wipe road tar off your bumper and bugs off your hood, or fetching the mail every day in the expectation that every person who sneezed in your vicinity would have sent a note apologizing for any colds you might have caught.  Dings are what you get when you drive.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 8:49:53 PM EDT
[#34]
I'd leave a note, but I'd be a little surprised if they wanted to make a huge deal out of it.  If you care that much about dings in your car, you should drive it around when you feel like cruising and go back home to park it in your garage...don't take it to the mall.

My dad was once sitting in a bar having a beer on his way home from an elk hunting trip, and some guy came in and told him he'd just accidentally dinged his pickups while parking.  My dad shook his hand, thanked him for his honesty, and bought him a round.  Dad never even inspected the ding until the next day.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 8:52:46 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I'd leave a note, but I'd be a little surprised if they wanted to make a huge deal out of it.  If you care that much about dings in your car, you should drive it around when you feel like cruising and go back home to park it in your garage...don't take it to the mall.

My dad was once sitting in a bar having a beer on his way home from an elk hunting trip, and some guy came in and told him he'd just accidentally dinged his pickups while parking.  My dad shook his hand, thanked him for his honesty, and bought him a round.  Dad never even inspected the ding until the next day.

Thats how I am... You didnt hit me or my kid... its a door ding. I like honesty... my neighbor called me up on a sat morning to tell me he dinged my car... I told him I was  more mad at him harping on the issue than the ding... shit happens... dings happen
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 8:59:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Option 2.  The true test of a man's character is what he does when no one is watching.

As far as how I'd react...  is it my Mustang or my work truck?  It would make a difference.

Woody
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 9:16:55 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Are you talking about the mustang?  
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 9:19:00 PM EDT
[#38]
If I did it, I'd leave a note.

If it happened to me, well, my car's too old and ugly for me to care.  I probably wouldn't actually notice - they'd have to try to make any visible damage to it.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 9:31:39 PM EDT
[#39]
1976 Caprice dented to shit? I'm out of there. Fairly nice vehicle? Sure as hell I'm leaving a note. If I saw someone dent my car and get in their car to leave, we would have problems.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 9:52:38 PM EDT
[#40]
glad to see most of the answers here... I got paperwork to do...BRB
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 9:54:58 PM EDT
[#41]
I thought this was gonna be a follow-up to that idiotic "genocide" thread.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 11:30:21 PM EDT
[#42]
fuck it take off
its happened to me so many  times once with my 5 hour old truck  huge fucking ding in the door
I figure what comes around goes around and i have gotten more than ive ever given in door ding karma
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 11:35:27 PM EDT
[#43]
What bumperstickers are on the car?

J/K

Leave the note.

If I was the owner of the hitee car, I'd be thankful that they left the contact info, unlike the other assholes who don't mind dinging up a brand new car with a flawless paintjob and body work.. like that one asshole who drove their bumper into the door of my car, leaving a red paint streak on it, then hauling ass outts there. Ruined my goddamn vacation.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 11:37:57 PM EDT
[#44]
I DON'T park next to other vehicles so it could not happen..
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 11:41:52 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Ready?

Here is the scenario. You are in a shopping mall and with a family member. Lets say a minor child. You go to your car and he/she opens the car door wide and DINGS the car next to you... its nothing major but its a good ding. There are many people around that may have seen it happen. What do you do?

or

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SECOND part... Now you are the victim of the 'ding', you have a decent vehicle with quite a few dings on both sides of your car, if a person left a note... what would you do?

Leave a note....happened twice about 5 years apart...first time no response , and the second the lady called a bitched me out for about 20 mins and I told her that I would turn it over to my insure agent. She said she would talk to her husband about it, and that was the end of it...never called back.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 11:51:06 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
I DON'T park next to other vehicles so it could not happen..

Are you one of those people that purposely takes up two parking spots?
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 11:56:05 PM EDT
[#47]
I never touch another persons vehicle,but if that were to happen i would have to leave a note.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 11:56:23 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ready?

or

Leave a note....happened twice about 5 years apart...first time no response , and the second the lady called a bitched me out for about 20 mins and I told her that I would turn it over to my insure agent. She said she would talk to her husband about it, and that was the end of it...never called back.

Thats what I dont get, You were the better person and left a note yet she still bitches...
What the hell is wrong with people nowadays?
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 11:57:53 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ready?

or

Thats what I dont get, You were the better person and left a note yet she still bitches...

Well I did ding her car......
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 12:05:12 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ready?

or

Well I did ding her car......

Yeah? So? I would have been a HELL of a lot nicer to you just for being decent.

Feel free to ding my car anytime.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top