Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/10/2006 10:55:50 PM EDT
What's wrong with this picture?

Border Patrol may be ordered to hire 12K
The figure more than doubles the agency's size over 2 years, but no money was provided for new hires.
MIKE MADDEN
Citizen Washington Bureau
Marchh10, 2006
www.tucsoncitizen.com/news/local/031006a1_BORDER
WASHINGTON - The Senate Judiciary Committee approved ordering the Border Patrol to hire 12,000 new agents in the next two years, more than doubling the current force.

Border Patrol officials and experts say that number exceeds what the agency can handle in terms of training and the panel didn't include any money to fund the new hires.

Yesterday lawmakers pushed ahead with immigration reform plans, hoping to finish work by the March 27 deadline imposed by GOP leaders.

Along with more agents, they propose replacing old fences along the border with 25 miles of new barricades in the desert west of Naco.

They put off action on contentious issues such as whether to make illegal presence in the United States a federal crime.

Sen. Jon Kyl, R-Ariz., who is running for re-election in November and who wrote the fence plan, told other lawmakers that similar fencing near El Paso and San Diego helped move human and drug smuggling to Arizona.

"They've been squeezed out of Texas and California, and I think we deserve a little relief in Arizona now," Kyl said.

A border security bill passed the House in December, calling for 700 miles of fencing at a cost of more than $2.2 billion.

Kyl's plan would replace old fences with double- or triple-layered barriers like the ones used in California and Texas. At least 200 miles of vehicle barriers and all-weather border roads also would be built.

Aides said Kyl has no estimate of how much his proposal would cost. Estimates for fencing along other parts of the border range between $1 million and $3 million per mile, which could put the taxpayer tab for Kyl's proposal well into the hundreds of millions of dollars if Congress approves the bill.

Adding 12,000 agents in two years would require significant appropriations from Congress.

"Is this a sincere effort, or is this just political posturing?" asked T.J. Bonner, president of the National Border Patrol Council, the union for 10,500 agents. "I'm afraid that it falls into the latter category."
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 11:00:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Good luck to 'em if they dont lighten up on that eyesight requirement.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 11:00:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Adding more agents alone isnt going to help things
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 11:06:37 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Nope, they need to add more agents to process illegals
Militarize the border and let the Soldiers catch the illegals
Build prisons with one way busses "home" to deport illegals
Penalize mexico by reducing\stopping aid for HELPING illegals

AND THEY NEED TO BUILD A DAMN WALL TO HELP STOP THE CRIMINALS
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 11:10:27 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You forgot 'step up fines on businesses that hire illega's and 'end all benefits for illegals'.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 11:30:25 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You forgot 'step up fines on businesses that hire illega's and 'end all benefits for illegals'.

The last one is the only thing that will work....

And the Army has better things to do than border patrol (like fight & win wars in the ME & Asia), not to mention the corruption & drug  issues that would occurr... For some of the folks I was just in school with, Mexican guard duty would be a one way ticket to Levenworth....

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 11:30:51 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would be happy if the just enforced the current laws against hiring illegals, that would make a difference
And, I am afraid that I don't want to stop at denying welfare to illegals, there are a LOT of Americans
that shouldn't be taking my hard earned money to pay for THEIR children and THEIR DRUGS
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 1:42:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Sounds like the usual political ass kissing.  Talk tough and order all these things done, but don't fund any of it because then people would ask why they have to pay, or why their social welfare programs are being cut to pay for it.

Telling the Border Patrol to do something, and then purposefully NOT funding it is absurd, and the only name you can place on a person like that is "Politician"
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 3:58:49 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Sounds like the usual political ass kissing.  Talk tough and order all these things done, but don't fund any of it because then people would ask why they have to pay, or why their social welfare programs are being cut to pay for it.

Telling the Border Patrol to do something, and then purposefully NOT funding it is absurd, and the only name you can place on a person like that is "Politician"

Yup, that's what it sounds like to me.  Like when Bush approved the plan to hire 10,000 agents and then ended up approving funds for 2,000, requiring an outcry to from Congress to make good on the deal.  12,000 agents in 2 years is a ludicous statement anyway.  Number one, the current training facility is at ends dealing with a 1,000 trainee a year capacity.  Number two, with 12,000 new agents, you would need vehicles, radios, armor, radios, new staions, etc. for them.  The Border Patrol has alway been the red-headed stepchild.  I am cautious to say the least.  Number three, where does an agency with around 10,000 employees get the manpower to affectively train double that amount, in 2 years?

Of course it would be great, but it's just not possible.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 4:32:51 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The last one is the only thing that will work....

And the Army has better things to do than border patrol (like fight & win wars in the ME & Asia), not to mention the corruption & drug  issues that would occurr... For some of the folks I was just in school with, Mexican guard duty would be a one way ticket to Levenworth....

The Army has better things to do than defend the homeland?  Really?  Who woulda thought that they had something more important to do than their !@#$ job.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 4:37:53 AM EDT
[#10]
I say build a fucking wall!  When they we'll

Fuck 'em!
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 4:38:03 AM EDT
[#11]
BP is so far behind right now that backgrounds aren't getting done until agents have GRADUATED from Artesia and are already in the field.

Case in point....agent in my AO was arrested by a local sherrif's deputy for outstanding felony warrants.

Something very, very bad is going to happen if they continue to force the BP to shit out new agents at this rate.

I have already seen the quality dropping and MANY of the veteran BP agents I know are serioulsy pissed.  Moral sucks, senior BP admins have idiotic fucking SOPs in place and make-up new ones daily.

BP is already ate-the-fuck-up.  This is just going to make it worse.

BC
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 4:41:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Why not just hire mexicans and guatemalans to patrol the border, sounds about as logical as everything else they do!

GR
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 4:58:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Just demagnitize America. No taxpayer-funded services for illegals & massive fines for anyone who hires illegal immigrants. No jobs for them & no free rides in education etc = no illegal immigrants. Of course, first we'd have to defeat all the lobbyists funded by construction & farming interests...
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:29:19 AM EDT
[#14]
12,000 new agents but no funding for them or equipment etc etc?? Just another crackpot talking the talk but not based in reality.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 8:39:03 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
BP is so far behind right now that backgrounds aren't getting done until agents have GRADUATED from Artesia and are already in the field.

Case in point....agent in my AO was arrested by a local sherrif's deputy for outstanding felony warrants.

Something very, very bad is going to happen if they continue to force the BP to shit out new agents at this rate.

I have already seen the quality dropping and MANY of the veteran BP agents I know are serioulsy pissed.  Moral sucks, senior BP admins have idiotic fucking SOPs in place and make-up new ones daily.

BP is already ate-the-fuck-up.  This is just going to make it worse.

BC

Yea, about that, that's not true.  The guy you are referring to either developed warrants while attending the academy or somehow slipped through the cracks.  

I have noticed that the BI's are being completed in a very short time compared to a year ago.  It use to take 12-16 months on averate to clear, if you had no issues you had to clarify.  Now they are being done between 2-5 months more than not.  This may be issue.  Also, Washington recently hired a bunch of new adjudicators.  So their experience may play into it as well.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:07:05 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Just demagnitize America. No taxpayer-funded services for illegals & massive fines for anyone who hires illegal immigrants. No jobs for them & no free rides in education etc = no illegal immigrants. Of course, first we'd have to defeat all the lobbyists funded by construction & farming interests...

If we stopped welfare for illegals then our crime rate would REALLY skyrocket
And, the new car dealers would have record repossessions and REALLY low new car sales numbers
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 8:58:51 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I disagree. If they couldn't get work or welfare almost all would take their asses back to old mexico.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 1:47:55 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I disagree. If they couldn't get work or welfare almost all would take their asses back to old mexico.

I disagree, would YOU leave here if you were NOT in cuffs\custody?  I doubt it
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top