Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/10/2006 7:07:28 AM EDT
www.wxyz.com/wxyz/nw_local_news/article/0,2132,WXYZ_15924_4530761,00.html

Illegal Weapons Confiscated from Downriver Teen
By Cheryl Chodun
Web produced by Christine Lasek
March 10, 2006

A tip led police to the home of a downriver teenager Thursday. When they opened his padlocked bedroom, they were amazed by what they found.

According to Sgt. Michael Shaw, of the Michigan State Police, "18-years-old with, basically, and arsenal of weapons."

The weapons and ammunition found inside the padlocked bedroom of the Taylor teen were confiscated and locked up at a State Police Post Thursday night. But the 18-year-old who had the guns was questioned by detectives then released.

The boy’s home was surrounded and searched Thursday afternoon. According to a neighbor, "The cops actually had their guns drawn."

Neighbors say they were concerned by what they saw, and were surprised to hear about all the guns.

"It’s shocking and surprising," the neighbor said. "He’s a good kid. A really good kid."

The reaction at Truman High School, where the teenager had been a student until his expulsion, was much the same.

A Truman student, Jeff Westmoreland, told 7 Action News, "I’ve always known him to be a really good kid, you know. He went to school with me for a couple years, and he’s never done anything wrong like that. I wouldn’t even think of him having guns like that."

State Police told 7 Action News that the weapons are illegal, maybe stolen, and very dangerous. And the fact that the weapons were hidden inside a padlocked bedroom is of great concern and very suspicious.

"We’re kind of right at the tip of the iceberg here," Sgt. Shaw explained. "We’ve only had this since about 1:30 this afternoon, so we’re looking into all kinds of possibilities that he could be purchasing from people breaking into homes."
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:09:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Nice starter kit.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:09:41 AM EDT
[#2]

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:10:02 AM EDT
[#3]
That story is jacked up in so many ways.

So the guns were in a locked room, at least he attempted to secure them.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:11:01 AM EDT
[#4]
What exactly was illegal about the 18 year old having guns?
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:12:24 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

This is what I don't understand....

ETA: Oh wait, doesn't Michigan have some sort of gun registration? If so, I bet they wern't registered.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:12:29 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Handguns ?
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:13:26 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Handguns ?

Has to be.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:13:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Frightening.  That story could be about any of us here...

Fight the ignorance, folks.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:13:59 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Handguns ?

In Ohio, you can own handguns at the age of 18, you just can't buy them...
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:14:01 AM EDT
[#10]

According to Sgt. Michael Shaw, of the Michigan State Police, "18-years-old with, basically, and arsenal of weapons."

OMG! AN ARSENAL!!!!

"This is SGT Shaw, get me a MAGTF here yesterday! I've got a situation with an ARSENAL!!!! I don't have time!!!!"  </bauer>

According to a neighbor, "The cops actually had their guns drawn."

OMG! DRAWN GUNS!!!! (I like this one:)

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:14:05 AM EDT
[#11]

"It’s shocking and surprising," the neighbor said. "He’s a good kid. A really good kid." ........................So now all the "GOOD" kids are gonn have their rooms run through, the parents will want the cops to talk to the kids so they dont go down the same path to hell.......and more people will ju8mp on the anti gun bandwagon cause "Good kids have guns".......This country is fucked for good!
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:14:18 AM EDT
[#12]
"And the fact that the weapons were hidden inside a padlocked bedroom is of great concern and very suspicious."

OMG, I keep my weapons inside a locked safe inside a locked house.......

That must be VERY suspicious...

Morons.

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:14:40 AM EDT
[#13]
I have my guns in a safe.  What am I hiding?  
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:14:43 AM EDT
[#14]
"...guns like that."

Morons...

(Edited to change "weapons" to "guns". Now where's the little eye-rolling smiley?)
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:14:46 AM EDT
[#15]

really nice how many quotes they managed to fit in that equated guns as something "good kids" don't have.

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:14:58 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Read the entire article:

State Police told 7 Action News that the weapons are illegal, maybe stolen, and very dangerous. And the fact that the weapons were hidden inside a padlocked bedroom is of great concern and very suspicious.

If stolen and not just SUPPOSING they're stolen, what the LEOs did was fine.

I've personally not heard much talk about the MSP being Anti, but that could just be because I'm not reading the right stuff.

Also, what was the "Tip" they used to get the warrant? Was it that he wanted to shoot up the high school? That's enough, don't you think?
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:15:04 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Handguns ?

Legal in Georgia.  I didn't see on the site what state they were in.  There's nothing in the article to indicate what was illegal about them.  There was suspicion they might be stolen, but it doesn't say why they thought that.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:15:19 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Handguns ?

Yep
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:16:14 AM EDT
[#19]
DO YOURSELVES A FAVOR AND READ THE ENTIRE STORY.

This isn't just some kid getting discriminated against!
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:17:05 AM EDT
[#20]

"It’s shocking and surprising," the neighbor said. "He’s a good kid. A really good kid."

Owning firearms & being a good kid (18=man) are mutually exclusive?
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:17:07 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Handguns ?

Legal in Georgia.  I didn't see on the site what state they were in.

Is owning stolen guns legal in Georgia? Because in Michigan - where this story is from - they aren't.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:17:40 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Read the entire article:

If stolen and not just SUPPOSING they're stolen, what the LEOs did was fine.

I've personally not heard much talk about the MSP being Anti, but that could just be because I'm not reading the right stuff.

Also, what was the "Tip" they used to get the warrant? Was it that he wanted to shoot up the high school? That's enough, don't you think?

I'd have a big problem with probable cause. I would definitely like to learn what the officers used as probable cause. "OMG he has a gun, search his house, officer" If an officer barged into my house to check if a gun was stolen or not, I would have a big problem. Now, if there was a witness that saw me steal a gun...that's different story.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:17:47 AM EDT
[#23]
So where the Hell did this happen?
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:17:58 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
"And the fact that the weapons were hidden inside a padlocked bedroom is of great concern and very suspicious."

OMG, I keep my weapons inside a locked safe inside a locked house.......

That must be VERY suspicious...

Morons.

That really pissed me off too.  Sounds like guilty until proven innocent.

It wouldn't be because he was a responsible gun owner and keeping his guns secured.  It must be because he is hiding something.  
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:18:45 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Honestly, I'm more worried about the attitude of the story and not its actual contents. If he's a little thug, fine, lock him up. But this whole "good kids don't own scary guns" vibe that the article give off is what I think is flipping everyones' switches here.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:18:51 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:18:54 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Handguns ?

Legal in Georgia.  I didn't see on the site what state they were in.  There's nothing in the article to indicate what was illegal about them.  There was suspicion they might be stolen, but it doesn't say why they thought that.

It's a federal law regarding handgun ownership.
You must be 21 I am pretty sure.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:20:41 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Handguns ?

Legal in Georgia.  I didn't see on the site what state they were in.

Is owning stolen guns legal in Georgia? Because in Michigan - where this story is from - they aren't.

No, but the article doesn't say they were stolen, just suspected of being stolen for some unknown reason.  Not enough info in the article to tell.  They must not have much evidence of t, because the guy was released.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:21:34 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
So where the Hell did this happen?

Taylor Michigan about 10 minutes from metro airport.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:21:59 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Nope.  You have to be 21 to buy a handgun from a licensed dealer, but you only have to be 18 to buy a handgun from a private party,and in Georgia at least, you can own one at any age as long as it was a gift from a parent or grandparent.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:22:25 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Michigan.  It's in a Detroit suburb.  Oakland and Washtenaw county sheriff's departments are HUMONGOUSLY anti-gun.

Thats in wayne county.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:22:26 AM EDT
[#32]
if they were sure they were stolen his ass would be locked up.

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:23:11 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Handguns ?

I swear by the great John Moses Browning that you don't have to be 21 for ownership of a handgun. You have to be 21 to make a transaction through ffl of a pistol, but not for ownership. I don't know what federal/local reg differences are though. In ohio, ownership of a rifle/shottie, which includes being allowed transportation, starts at  16.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:25:48 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:26:56 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
"We’re kind of right at the tip of the iceberg here," Sgt. Shaw explained. "We’ve only had this since about 1:30 this afternoon, so we’re looking into all kinds of possibilities that he could be purchasing from people breaking into homes."

If he did so knowingly, he's a BG and should go down for it.

If he bought them from a buddy and didn't know they were stolen, then he (like anybody else) loses the gun, and gets sent on his way.

The response by MSP sounds like they're fishing - they got the guns "off the street", and that's the "important" thing for the media.

Another interesting point:

The reaction at Truman High School, where the teenager had been a student until his expulsion, was much the same.

Was it related to the weapons charge (doubtful), or was he expelled, and some student at the school ratted on him, using the "Columbine Clause"?
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:33:19 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:36:38 AM EDT
[#37]
If the guns are stolen, its good that they got them, but the whole article just stinks of bullshit. I'd like to know the rest of the story. Why did they go after him? why did they take the guns? Shouldn't be hard to find out if the guns were reported stolen.

ETA: that's far from an arsenal. its a "day at the range" for most Arfcommers.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:41:30 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Honestly, I'm more worried about the attitude of the story and not its actual contents. If he's a little thug, fine, lock him up. But this whole "good kids don't own scary guns" vibe that the article give off is what I think is flipping everyones' switches here.

You should be concerned about both the attitude AND the contents. The contents are still sketchy, but the MSP said the weapons ARE illegal. The MSP is a solid group of guys and girls.

I couldn't find more than this on Topix.net- it just brought up the WXYZ page - but I'm sure more will be revealed. If it's nothing, it's nothing. But the initial reaction was that the guns were stolen.

This isn't the beginning of confiscation guys. Keep your panties un-wadded until we know more, the lot of you!
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:42:34 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Unfortunatly sensationalism will always sell more than just facts.  This sensationalism is what the politicians play off of and what has us in such a tailspin in so many regards.

Then why are you guys ignoring the initial facts in this article???
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:43:41 AM EDT
[#40]

the fact that the weapons were hidden inside a padlocked bedroom is of great concern and very suspicious.

Alright.. mental note: "Fuck the Brady Campgain - storing my guns outside the safe is the only non-suspicious or worrysome way to store them"
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:44:04 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Michigan.  It's in a Detroit suburb.  Oakland and Washtenaw county sheriff's departments are HUMONGOUSLY anti-gun.

Wayne County is no different. MSP and cops in general are no different. But in fairness, a bullet is a bullet...Remember, when the press reports ANYTHING about guns, they do it as brutal as possible.

Nice EBR the kid had. To bad only the pistols were illegal for him to 'own'.

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:44:10 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
If the guns are stolen, its good that they got them, but the whole article just stinks of bullshit. I'd like to know the rest of the story. Why did they go after him? why did they take the guns? Shouldn't be hard to find out if the guns were reported stolen.

ETA: that's far from an arsenal. its a "day at the range" for most Arfcommers.

+1

Also, that's definitely a day at the range for an arfcommer. You should have seen the time I broke down on the highway on the way to the range..... Yes, officer I have guns......::silently:: "please stop finger fucking my m3 super 90, you've been doing it for the past 15 min"
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:45:18 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nope.  You have to be 21 to buy a handgun from a licensed dealer, but you only have to be 18 to buy a handgun from a private party,and in Georgia at least, you can own one at any age as long as it was a gift from a parent or grandparent.

Possession of handguns is regulated by state law so it varies by state. There are several states that issue CCW licenses to 18 year olds. Private transfers of handguns to under 21 year olds is legal in many states.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:46:20 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Handguns ?

Has to be.

18 year olds can own handguns in MI...they just can't buy them from an FFL. Seriously!
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:47:40 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Unfortunatly sensationalism will always sell more than just facts.  This sensationalism is what the politicians play off of and what has us in such a tailspin in so many regards.

Then why are you guys ignoring the initial facts in this article???

The article only alluded to the fact that they were MAYBE stolen. It doesn't actually confirm it. As far as I know, one of the guns could have been illegal because it was not 922r compliant.........yea, this guy over there has a gun, and I don't think it's 922r compliant, so will you please raid his fucking house because he's a nice kid.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:50:28 AM EDT
[#46]
Michigan is a very anti gun state.  To buy a handgun you must go to the police station, get a pistol purchase permit (in triplicate), then take that permit to the gun dealer when you buy you gun.  then you have to go back to the police department for a "safety inspection" where they register the gun both with the local agency and michigan state police.

It used to be illegal to drive from your home to the target range with your handgun unless you had a hunting license or CCW permit.

Any firearm under 30" long is a "pistol."
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:50:56 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Handguns ?

That's not correct. In Michigan you can own a handgun if you are 18. You just can't buy it from a dealer. Private transfer of a handgun to an 18 year old is perfectly legal.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:53:48 AM EDT
[#48]
TJ,
What IS your obsession with "gun confiscation" threads?
This has got to be the third or fourth "GC" thread you've posted.
Are you afraid someone is going to come and take your guns away from you, young man?
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:54:35 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Michigan is a very anti gun state.  To buy a handgun you must go to the police station, get a pistol purchase permit (in triplicate), then take that permit to the gun dealer when you buy you gun.  then you have to go back to the police department for a "safety inspection" where they register the gun both with the local agency and michigan state police.

It used to be illegal to drive from your home to the target range with your handgun unless you had a hunting license or CCW permit.

Any firearm under 30" long is a "pistol."

Uhh, that's incorrect. You just had to store the ammo away from the gun itself. Stupid, I know, but you had to put the ammo elsewhere in the vehicle and the gun in the trunk.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:55:06 AM EDT
[#50]
This headline states the guns were stolen but in the article it just says the PD received a tip that the guns were stolen.  I never put much faith in initial media reports of any incident.

www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060309/UPDATE/603090444

Youth arrested with stolen guns

Oralandar Brand-Williams / The Detroit news
March 9, 2006

State Police arrested an 18-year-old suspended Taylor High School student Thursday for questioning after they received an anonymous tip that he was stockpiling a cache of weapons inside his home on Hampton Street.

Sgt. Michael Shaw said he received a call about 11:30 a.m. Thursday at the state police post on Telegraph that the teen, whose identity was being withheld, had several stolen firearms at his home, including an AR-15, a semi-automatic, civilian version of the M-16 rifle.

The caller, an unidentified man, told Shaw that the youth also has had behavioral problems at school.

State Police and Taylor police went to the suspect's home but he refused to come out for questioning. However, after a brief standoff, the suspect later peacefully surrendered to police.

Detectives said they confiscated the illegal weapons from the suspect's bedroom. Shaw said the teen's parents did not know about the guns.

The suspect was taken to the state police post where he was being questioned Thursday night.

Shaw said there is no evidence that the youth intended any harm at the school.

"We are very confident there was not a threat or any danger to any students," he said.

Shaw said detectives believe the young man is part of a stolen guns ring and that he is suspected of being a "middle man" in the operation.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top