User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/10/2006 3:33:19 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 3:42:37 AM EDT
[#1]
I hope the guys got out ok.  Hard to tell the damage, other than the
track pads and roadwheels burning.  It doesn't look like the blast doors
blew open.  Hope the TC and/or loader were maintaining nametag defilade.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 3:43:06 AM EDT
[#2]
I think it is only disabled not really destroyed. They said it had one of its tracks blown off and was on fire, not destroyed.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 3:51:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 3:52:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Heard about it on the news on the drive into work this morning.
They said they didn't know where the crew is.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 3:53:14 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I think it is only disabled not really destroyed. They said it had one of its tracks blown off and was on fire, not destroyed.

Uh, like that's smoke pouring out of the top hatches…

It could be the Halon system.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 3:53:47 AM EDT
[#6]
I might be mistaken, but IIRC, it is awfully hard for the driver to escape with the turret in the forward position
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 3:55:22 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I might be mistaken, but IIRC, it is awfully hard for the driver to escape with the turret in the forward position

Yup. We had a driver almost drown at Hood when the tank
went nose down into a rain swollen creek.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 3:58:39 AM EDT
[#8]
I wonder if it was hit by some of those Iranian-made high-explosive IEDs that are being smuggled in.

As much as I like President Bush and his tough stance on terrorists, when the FUCK are we going to bitch-slap Iran for this?  They are state sponsors of terror, are providing weapons to the terrorists in Iraq, and are training and funding them.

I thought that meant, according to President Bush, that they are our enemies!
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 4:02:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 4:02:23 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I wonder if it was hit by some of those Iranian-made high-explosive IEDs that are being smuggled in.

As much as I like President Bush and his tough stance on terrorists, when the FUCK are we going to bitch-slap Iran for this?  They are state sponsors of terror, are providing weapons to the terrorists in Iraq, and are training and funding them.

Apparently it was a VBIED.  They could pack a car with plenty of regular explosives.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 4:09:18 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Apparently it was a VBIED.  They could pack a car with plenty of regular explosives.

What's that?
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 4:12:26 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

We will, but Europe is going to help us on this one especially Germany.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 4:14:29 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What's that?

Vehicle Borne IED.  

Nuevo-war speak for "A car packed with assloads of explosives."
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 4:22:26 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What's that?

Vehicle Borne IED.  

cool, or rather bad.
how do you pronounce it?
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 4:24:35 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What's that?

Vehicle Borne IED.  

I was thinking it meant Very Big
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 4:26:01 AM EDT
[#16]
In my unit we just say V-bed.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 4:26:52 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What's that?

Vehicle Borne IED.  

cool, or rather bad.
how do you pronounce it?

"Vee-Bid" AFAIK.  
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 4:28:00 AM EDT
[#18]
Where did all these IED, VBIED, etc names come from?  Didn't we used to call them bombs and car bombs?
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 4:36:21 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Where did all these IED, VBIED, etc names come from?  Didn't we used to call them bombs and car bombs?

The way it was explained to me, it was a US .mil thing.

.mil loves acronyms to classify stuff.

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 4:45:10 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

V-Bed is how we say it.

And the military came up with Improvised Explosive Device because like Goon said, they love acronyms.  And they arent always "bombs".  Sometimes they are land minds, mortars, Katuysa rockets, etc...

And yeah, it's Vehicle Borne IED.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 4:53:01 AM EDT
[#21]
The white smoke could be Halon, or white phosphorous grenades placed to destroy the sensetive equipment, IIRC. New paint, a few new computers, and it'll be back to killing jihads in no time.

Kharn
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 5:52:17 AM EDT
[#22]
FNC said that no one was hurt in the attack.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 5:57:25 AM EDT
[#23]
What does a Abrams tank cost to make ?
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 5:57:26 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Yes,

Crew escaped un-injured. (Foxnews.com)
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 6:04:13 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 6:06:01 AM EDT
[#26]
one of the TTP's that the insurgents are using is taking old acetylene tanks and packing them with explosive and using those against armored vehicles. when i was over there a tank was completely destroyed by one and a HMMWV was splintered by another. no one was killed in the tank blast but all 5 in the HMMWV were killed.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 6:08:31 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
What does a Abrams tank cost to make ?

When they were first made it was under $1.5 million a copy.  But that was several years back when they were first coming out.  Current REPLACEMENT cost is $4.3 million a copy.  

www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/m1.htm
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 6:09:58 AM EDT
[#28]
Notice that no-one is dancing on the wreckage this time?

Interesting change if you ask me...
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 6:27:08 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Yep thats good.  

I always wondered why they didn't arrainge for a vehichle to be disabled in an area with pre-positioned shoot teams.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 6:29:11 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 6:29:14 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Except the scrawny bastard driving the car.  Bahahaha!

-EvilJames
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 6:37:37 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep thats good.  

I always wondered why they didn't arrainge for a vehichle to be disabled in an area with pre-positioned shoot teams.

I saw a publically-available, published account of one such event.  They acted like a convoy vehicle broke down, the troops got into other convoy vehicles and ran off, abandoning the HMMWV.  Locals started dancing on it and then the Apaches showed up.

Suffice to say, they werent in the mood for dancing once the Hydras and HE rounds start landing.

Kharn
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 6:38:30 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

You must get the same effect as the scene in Private Ryan when the American troops are on the tank the Germans open up with the 20mm.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:15:40 AM EDT
[#34]
I glad they got out uninjured, but that looks like smoke coming outta the TC's and Loaders hatch. They musta got smacked by some seriouse ordinance if the insides on fire
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:18:49 AM EDT
[#35]
The real beauty is that Fox is reporting "no injuries".
If so, then the M1 did its job.

There will be a replacement available in 24 hours.
DATS take a few months just to learn to pronounce "Abrams".  
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:23:13 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
I glad they got out uninjured, but that looks like smoke coming outta the TC's and Loaders hatch. They musta got smacked by some seriouse ordinance if the insides on fire

Insides might not be on fire.  It could be the fire suppression system.  But there is a chance that something got through both bulkheads and in the crew compartment.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:12:34 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
The real beauty is that Fox is reporting "no injuries".
If so, then the M1 did its job.

There will be a replacement available in 24 hours.
DATS take a few months just to learn to pronounce "Abrams".  

DATS, lol.  I haven't been called that in 25 yrs.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 10:05:46 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Insides might not be on fire.  It could be the fire suppression system.  But there is a chance that something got through both bulkheads and in the crew compartment.

Or the burning tracks heated up the hull (no penetration) and everything rubber or plastic started burning on the inside.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 10:10:38 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

and ARFCOM doesnt?

IBTL
IBTL
AWOB
TEOTWAWKI
SHTF

it's just the language of the culture
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 11:08:27 AM EDT
[#40]
DAMN

I find out today that that tank in the pic is the tank of a good friend and student of mine.  He is a 1st Lt. and is a tank commander in charge of several other tanks.  The explosions hit his tank and set it ablaze.  Everyone got out fine and without injury.  He wrenched his knee jumping off the tank.

The explosion was strong enough to rock another tank next to his and a soldier in it had his shoulder seperated.  No casualties thank God.

Thank you guys for serving and keep safe.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 11:25:53 AM EDT
[#41]
great news that the crew got out uninjured.  Are we sure it was an IED?  Could have been the unfortuanate side effects of three guys locked in a small space after a big meal of mexican food or something.

I've seen scouts come pouring out of a tent that was smoking like that......  

glad they're oK though. Can't wait till they get their payback
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 11:34:43 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 11:40:20 AM EDT
[#43]
I read an DOD report about the invasion and the tank hits on our side.  

Not a single M1 was destroyed by a RPG or anything for that matter.  There were a half dozen that were disabled, but not destroyed, the most dangerous thing was the risk of fire and the engine going up in flames for a fire.

They feared of losing a disabled Abrams during a heavy fight outside of Btown, so they shot a SABOT into the engine bay, and an A10 launched TWO maverick AGM at it, and one thermite gerenade in the interior to finish the job.  
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 9:36:39 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
one of the TTP's that the insurgents are using is taking ... <snip>

Let's be careful talking about stuff like this please.  

Thanks.

Link Posted: 3/12/2006 9:50:51 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why?  Absolutely no OPSEC issues in his post. It's not exactly a stunning revelation that packing a couple of hundred kilos of military grade explosives in a large container can pretty easily destroy a tank and a HMMVW.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 9:53:32 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 10:12:31 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
I saw a publically-available, published account of one such event.  They acted like a convoy vehicle broke down, the troops got into other convoy vehicles and ran off, abandoning the HMMWV.  Locals started dancing on it and then the Apaches showed up.

Suffice to say, they werent in the mood for dancing once the Hydras and HE rounds start landing.

Kharn

That's fuckin beautiful    Would bring a tear to my eye.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 11:13:12 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why?  Absolutely no OPSEC issues in his post. It's not exactly a stunning revelation that packing a couple of hundred kilos of military grade explosives in a large container can pretty easily destroy a tank and a HMMVW.

I agree, there's nothing too remarkable with his post.  However, I cringed when I saw his post started with, "One of the [enemy] TTP's..."  

I just hope no one relates an experience they had over there in too much detail, along the lines such as, "enemy IEDs constructed with two Klingon type-42 photon torpedoes using a Cardassian Obsidian-7 bioprobe sensor, usually give off 20-percent tackion emissions which were easily detected by the Buffalo's main deflector array when power was rerouted into the dilithium crystals of its warp core."

Link Posted: 3/12/2006 11:21:56 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

People in military related things sit around and come up with acronyms sometimes.

I know this, for I have done it. Sat there while three other guys (and a befuddled me) sat there trying to come up with an acronym to describe a project who's name was in fact an acronym.

Originally posted by nosto

They had things like this happen:

www.michaelyon-online.com/wp/jungle-law.htm

Deuce Four is an overwhelmingly aggressive and effective unit, and they believe the best defense is a dead enemy. They are constantly thinking up innovative, unique, and effective ways to kill or capture the enemy; proactive not reactive. They planned an operation with snipers, making it appear that an ISF vehicle had been attacked, complete with explosives and flash-bang grenades to simulate the IED. The simulated casualty evacuation of sand dummies completed the ruse.

The Deuce Four soldiers left quickly with the “casualties,” “abandoning” the burning truck in the traffic circle. The enemy took the bait. Terrorists came out and started with the AK-rifle-monkey-pump, shooting into the truck, their own video crews capturing the moment of glory. That’s when the American snipers opened fire and killed everybody with a weapon. Until now, only insiders knew about the AK-monkey-pumpers smack-down.

Link Posted: 3/12/2006 11:24:53 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I agree, there's nothing too remarkable with his post.  However, I cringed when I saw his post started with, "One of the [enemy] TTP's..."  

I just hope no one relates an experience they had over there in too much detail, along the lines such as, "enemy IEDs constructed with two Klingon type-42 photon torpedoes using a Cardassian Obsidian-7 bioprobe sensor, usually give off 20-percent tackion emissions which were easily detected by the Buffalo's main deflector array when power was rerouted into the dilithium crystals of its warp core."

Nah, they could only be detected when we reversed the polarity of the WARLOCK allowing it to detect the tackion emissions subspace signature - but that's all open-source info.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top