Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/9/2006 8:04:42 PM EDT

Linky

Tickets For Good Driving
March 9, 2006, 10:05 AM

Dozens of Central Texas drivers got pulled over Thursday for doing absolutely nothing wrong.

Travis County deputies kicked off what has become a controversial reward program.

You know that heart-stopping feeling you get when seeing the flashing red lights of law enforcement in the rear view mirror? Well, you won't see that if you're a good driver, but you may get pulled over.

Getting pulled over for doing nothing wrong may not sound right to a lot of people.

Travis County Deputy Derrick Taylor says his job is to not only look for bad drivers, but reward and encourage friendly drivers.

"The big cargo truck that was in front of you and you allowed to get in front of you, that was a very nice thing you did, and because it was a safe thing, we want to reward you with a Round Rock Express baseball tickets," Taylor tells a good driver.

Free baseball tickets for good drivers - some like it and don't mind being pulled over.

"I was really surprised, but it's cool though. I thought I was like in trouble so [it was] a little nerve-wracking," driver Erin Baker said.

Other drivers are saying it's an inconvenience.

Deputy Taylor says they're not trying to scare anyone. Deputies will simply wave to good drivers and politely ask them to pull over to the side.

"What I'm trying to focus on, and the only thing I'm trying to focus on, is rewarding someone for good driving. There are going to be some people who are not going to like it because the only experience they have with law enforcement is negative," Taylor said.

Drivers like Baker say they'll take this ticket over a traffic ticket any day.

"Yeah, I will probably go with my boyfriend or something," Baker said.

This program will last until this weekend, and it stems from one that worked well some 20 years ago, except back then, deputies were handing out money -- up to $50.

No one complained then until the money ran out.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:09:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Hah.

I was wondering why I saw two cars get pulled over simultaneously for doing nothing in Pflugerville this morning.

I figured they'd been up to something I hadn't seen, though I'd followed one of them for a couple of miles and he wasn't up to anything.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:12:44 PM EDT
[#2]
They've done it before, didn't last too long though
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:15:05 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Hah.

I was wondering why I saw two cars get pulled over simultaneously for doing nothing in Pflugerville this morning.

I figured they'd been up to something I hadn't seen, though I'd followed one of them for a couple of miles and he wasn't up to anything.

OT, sorry, but is there really such a place as Pflugerville??
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:15:59 PM EDT
[#4]
wtf?
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:17:26 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
OT, sorry, but is there really such a place as Pflugerville??

Zip code 78660
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:17:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Just an excuse for "your papers please"

How annoying, fuck that.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:28:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Just an excuse for, "We don't need to observe any laws being broken to pull you over and go fishing".
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:29:48 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Just an excuse for, "We don't need to observe any laws being broken to pull you over and go fishing".

+1
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:00:57 PM EDT
[#9]
I remember a few years back hearing about a similar thing locally...they were giving away tickets to the circus or some show like that.  On a local radio show, people were calling in and complaining that they don't want to be inconvenienced by being pulled over to be "rewarded".  They can get the license plate number and MAIL the damn reward to the owner of the car with a time/date.  Hell, some areas do that with photo-radar speeding tickets.

Some people complained that they would be worried about being late for work for being pulled over to be "rewarded", other complained about the fear and anxiety of being pulled over and not knowing why when they did nothing wrong.
[rant]
I personally think it is a stupid idea. If someone does something wrong, pull them over... otherwise let them be.  And I don't mean pull them over for the stupid $$$ makers like seat-belts and talking on cell-phones.  The cell-phone issue, falls under the same laws as eating, applying makeup, or anything else you do while driving.  If you are not in control of your vehicle... there is a ticket for that, if it causes you to drive recklessly, there is a ticket for that.  So get off my ass about the cell phone or the burrito, unless I actually DO something wrong while driving.... like swerving in traffic, erratic stops, run a stop sign, or actually break a law that affects somebody.  You don't want distractions while driving?  Get rid of radios, passengers, billboards, neon signs, and limit all cars to a maximum speed of 25 miles per hour.
[/rant]

No Expert
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:05:22 PM EDT
[#10]
If they are actually handing out stuff of value (like tickets), I wouldn't mind it at all. If they are just pulling people over to do the say "good job" and walk away sorta thing, then it's kinda stupid.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:06:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:06:41 PM EDT
[#12]
They're only doing this so that they can see into your car.  
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:15:16 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
You don't want distractions while driving?  Get rid of radios, passengers, billboards, neon signs, and limit all cars to a maximum speed of 25 miles per hour.

Bah.  That stuff is nothing.

ALL stupid things I've done behind the wheel have been the direct result of female influence, whether she was sitting beside me or washing cars in her bikini for a fundraiser.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:17:40 PM EDT
[#14]
It's their way of saying, "There's not enough crime in the area to warrant our attention." To me that says, "Fire me, and spend the money on a tax refund or feeding the poor. Your hippie dreams of peace are a reality."  

Reward? Every time I pass a peace officer and doesn't pull me over - that's a reward in itself.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:33:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Lemme see if I got this straight:

The cops are using tax money to reward people for obeying the law?

Are these the same cops who hide behind overpasses waiting to catch speeders so they can hand out a $150 tax ticket?
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:34:29 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

No, it's really designed to reward good drivers. But it's also a Constituitional Right violation.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 10:31:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Sounds like a great way to check for pot or booze on drivers that were otherwise obeying the traffic laws.  You want to reward me for great driving, then leave me the fuck alone and go find a rapist.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 10:58:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Austin is kinda like San Francisco now. Liberal city USA. This "Touchy Feely" crap doesnt suprise me a bit. I can see it now.."Sir, why were tyou driving like an asshole?" "Sorry Judge, I didn't want to get stopped for being "Nice" and be late for work...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top