Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/9/2006 6:42:26 PM EDT
What is inside the ball on top of a flagpole? a friend said that there's a razor blade, a match and a bullet inside. Any truth to this, and if so, why?
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:43:25 PM EDT
[#1]
no there is no truth to it.

supposedly the razor and match were to properly dispose of the flag. not sure what the bullet was supposed to be for
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:44:21 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

supposedly the razor and match were to properly dispose of the flag. not sure what the bullet was supposed to be for

The bullet was for the one who burned the flag so he wouldn't be taken prisoner... supposedly.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:44:24 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Bullet was supposed to be the last bullet to defend the flag from capture.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:44:45 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

He said the bullet was to put in your head if you were over run. The razor blade was to cut the flag down and the match was to burn the flag (obviously not in that order)
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:44:53 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

take your own life
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:45:20 PM EDT
[#6]
so there's no truth to it?
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:45:40 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bullet was supposed to be the last bullet to defend the flag from capture.

The ball is called a "Truck"  and it is supposed to be a .45ACP round as well.

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:46:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:48:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:48:34 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

you could shimmy up a flag pole and find out, but i would suggest taking our word
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:49:46 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

you could shimmy up a flag pole and find out, but i would suggest taking our word

Post pics if you do!
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:58:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Don't know about the razor blade.

But the matches and Bullet is true!

Matches to keep the flag from falling into Enemy hands, You burn it!

The bullet is so the flag is always displayed under Arms, and so you the person burning the flag can commit suicide when they have done it.

I know this because i helped replace one in front of a state government building once and we saw the head was Threaded so we opened it and that is what was inside and the official watching us told us the above.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 7:00:21 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Don't know about the razor blade.

But the matches and Bullet is true!

Matches to keep the flag from falling into Enemy hands, You burn it!

The bullet is so the flag is always displayed under Arms, and so you the person burning the flag can commit suicide when they have done it.

I know this because i helped replace one in front of a state government building once and we saw the head was Threaded so we opened it and that is what was inside and the official watching us told us the above.

I've done plenty of work on flag poles.  there's nothing inside the ball
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 7:00:30 PM EDT
[#14]
P.S. I don't think it has been done his way for years!

I've never heard of it in Modern Flagpoles, only older goverment ones installed up the end of WWII.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 7:00:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 12:32:12 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 11:42:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Yeah, the commanding general is supposed to somhow climb a flagpole, near the main entrance on most bases (usually the post headquarters is near the main gate, not out in the back 40), while post has already been overrun and most likely the post HQ taken over, to try and then burn the flag.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 11:50:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Private Snuffy: "Corporal K, how many trucks are on Fort Campbell?"

Me: "One"
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:23:04 PM EDT
[#19]
As stated above, it's called a truck.

There is supposed to be a razor, a strike anywhere match, and a 45acp cartridge in it.

If your post is over run you cut the stars out of the flag, burn the remains of the flag, and dispatch yourself.

This is a hoaky bullshit story, but that's how it's told.

edited to add: The 45acp wouldn't do a soldier a whole lot of good nowadays. The story daes back to when the 1911 was the primary sidearm of the US military.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:25:57 PM EDT
[#20]
I heard there was a nuclear weapon.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:59:18 PM EDT
[#21]
When I was at Fort Hood from 88-92, that question was still on the test to become promoteable.  I never looked for myself, but I know the correct answer was that there was a bullet and a match in there and a 1911 buried underneath the flagpole.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:14:43 PM EDT
[#22]
You can put your weed in it!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top