Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/8/2006 9:32:51 PM EDT
I just picked up a Boss GT-8 Effects Processor at Guitar Center. This thing is friggin amazing. I could sit for hours playing with it. There are a million different sounds. If you play with it for a bit, you'll find that it does a hell of a job emulating tube amplifiers. I managed to get it to match the overdriven sound of my Hot Rod Deluxe. It's so damn close, you literaly have to listen carefully with an A/B switch to notice the difference. In other words, nobody but you can hear the difference.

I should have picked this up a loooong time ago. So far, it accurately replicates my Univibe, Fuzzface, Big Muff and Crybaby (the Big Muff is dead nuts on). The difference in the others is so slight as to be insignificant. For less than 500 bucks, I can say with a reasonable degree of certainty that it replaces nearly all of my gear. I'm stunned, to say the least. Fucking incredible.

The configurable parameters are nearly infinite. Given enough time, I'm confident that I can duplicate nearly any tonal quality floating around in my head. After spending a bunch of time with this bad boy, I'm hard pressed to understand why anybody carries a trucklod of gear with them to a gig.

I've been getting bored with my guitar, and I just got a kick square in the ass. I'm enthuiastic about playing again. Hot shit, what a fun toy.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:46:34 AM EDT
[#1]
When I get my tax return back im getting the GT-6B. I have a Ric 4003 and I want to try and get the old Geddy Lee and Chris Squire sound.  From what I have heard these things are awesome. How hard is it to use? Take a look at Guitar Pro! Its a computer program that runs into a stomp box. They say that you can model any amp you want. Its around $500 or so. Thats a little too much for me though. My playing is amatuer at best but I think the GT-6B will fit the bill nicely!
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:36:01 AM EDT
[#2]

Originally Posted By John Parker:
When I get my tax return back im getting the GT-6B. I have a Ric 4003 and I want to try and get the old Geddy Lee and Chris Squire sound.  From what I have heard these things are awesome. How hard is it to use? Take a look at Guitar Pro! Its a computer program that runs into a stomp box. They say that you can model any amp you want. Its around $500 or so. Thats a little too much for me though. My playing is amatuer at best but I think the GT-6B will fit the bill nicely!

I play a 4003 as well and always searched for that Geddy sound as well. I play through an Ampeg SVT and a Tech 21 Sans amp whcih was less than $200 and it gives me a perfect Geddy sound.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 7:54:14 AM EDT
[#3]

Originally Posted By John Parker:
How hard is it to use?

It's intimidating at first, especially if you've never used a big effects processor before (this is my first). Time reading the manual is time well spent. I'm getting used to it.

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:02:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Speaking of toys I just picked up a used (mid 90's) Mesa Boogie Mark IV.  Damn I love this amp.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:03:06 AM EDT
[#5]
I used to have a GT-6 ... it was great.

I blew some of my bonus this year on a new amp:

VTH pittbull 45 tube amp

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:16:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Ooooh how do you like the VHT?    
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:18:25 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Speaking of toys I just picked up a used (mid 90's) Mesa Boogie Mark IV.  Damn I love this amp.

Sweet!
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:19:48 AM EDT
[#8]
I am jealous. Last toy I bought was a used cry baby. Love it but not nearly as cool as yours.

I say again, Iam jealous.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:20:06 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I have a hard time getting away with cranking amps open since I live in an apartment. I haven't had a chance to take it to my friends place where I can let it rip yet.

I've got a THD hotplate attenuator on the way that should help.

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:26:47 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have a hard time getting away with cranking amps open since I live in an apartment. I haven't had a chance to take it to my friends place where I can let it rip yet.

Hey when you do get a chance to crank it, let me know your impressions of the cranked sound (wide open) vs cranked with the attenuator.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:28:30 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep the hotplate will definitely help.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:44:28 AM EDT
[#12]

Best thing I've ever used for writing or recording. And I've gone though a lot of stuff.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:16:39 AM EDT
[#13]
I've had my Digi-tech RP200 for a few years now.  That thing amazes me everytime I plug it in.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:31:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:32:19 PM EDT
[#15]
love my gt-8, had it for a couple months.....

" border=0>
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:41:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:42:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Sounds cool.  I have a pod XT that I plug int o the power amp on my Fender super60.  It has a preset that nails Eddies's brown sound.  

I was looking for a new guitar today (the wife said I can spend up to 2 grand).  Ran across a used Tom Anderson for 1800.  May have to go back and pick it up.  They are cherry axes..  Drop top, 6 string with a pair of humbuckers and a classic trem bar.  

Geoff
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:59:06 PM EDT
[#18]
tagdbe

Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:17:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Strats,

You taggin' this waiting for the tube v. sim debate?
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:47:08 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Strats,

Heh. You know something? I'm as much of a tube/analog snob as one can be, but damnit - my ears don't lie. This damn thing sounds REALLY REALLY close. I would have called BS a month ago, but something swingset posted a while back got me to thinking. When I *honestly* compared this to my amplifier and some of my analog effects, I had no choice but to concede that modeling has come a loooong way. Plus, now I can pretend I'm a metal god, what with all these extra wizz bang digital effects at my disposal.

As a matter of fact it's so damn close, I don't think there's much point in having my current tube rig. And for me, that's REALLY saying something, given how much of a tube snob I tend to be.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:58:02 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Strats,

No, just wanted to keep a bookmark for the GT-8 and AdrenaLinn references.

Not a tube snob. I have a Marshall 50-watt and Peavey 60-watt. Both solid-state. The Strat plugs into a Johnson J-Station and some "boutique" stomp boxes. With a little tweaking, it sounds very good.

But, I still would like to have a Mesa Boogie or Fender Hot Rod Deluxe.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:28:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Here's a good site for the Boss GT-8.

BossGTCentral

Sub, if you ever get the chance, run your GT-8 as a pre-amp to a PAIR, of full range, flat response, speakers.  Something like keyboard speakers or a PA.  Stereo, gorgeous stereo.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:28:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Gander is on the right track.  If you guys like those other modeling toys you really need to check out the PODxt/Bass PODxt.  Line 6 is well at the front of the modeling revolution and the rest are a couple steps behind.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top