Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/8/2006 6:12:01 AM EDT
Since ARFCOM is becoming more international nowadays, and has a few non-English speaking visitors now,  I decided to test how accurate translation software is.
I did a somewhat similar evaluation test before using software that cost about $2000, haven't got it with me now so I used Babel Fish .

I took the first two paragraphs from the first news article that came up on Google news and translated back and forth.
I tried 4 languages and Japanese delivered the best results that are as below.

Original text
"WASHINGTON - Universities accepting federal funding cannot bar military recruiters from campus, even if faculty and students object to the Pentagon's "don't ask, don't tell" policy on gay and lesbian personnel, a unanimous U.S. Supreme Court ruled Monday.

The high court's decision, written by new Chief Justice John Roberts, reversed a lower court ruling that said a 1994 federal law ensuring the military's access to campuses infringed on the constitutional rights of some law students and professors who oppose the rejection of openly gay recruits."

English to Japanese
ワシントン州- 中央政府資金を受け入れる大学はキャンパスから能力及び学生が米国国防総省に"頼まなかったり、言わなければ" ゲイ・レズビアンの人員、月曜日支配される合意の米国の最高裁判所の方針を反対しても軍のリクルーターを禁止することができない。
新しい裁判長がジョンロバーツ書いている高等法院の決定は率直に陽気な新兵の拒絶に。"反対する教授およびが1994 中央政府法律を言った下級裁判所の判決を逆転させ何人かの法科の学生の憲法上の権利で侵されたキャンパスへの軍隊のアクセスを保障する

Japanese to English
If Washington - the university which accepts central government fund from the campus ability or the student "does not ask to the Department of Defense and does not say" the staff of the gay lesbian (I thought lesbians don't have/like 'staffs', on second thoughts, if a lesbian is gay, does that make her normal), policy of the Supreme Court of the United States of the agreement which Monday is controlled opposing, it is not possible to prohibit recruiter of the troop.
The new President of the Court Roberts John as for decision of the high method institute which has been written candidly in refusal of the cheerful recruit. It is reversed the decision of the basecourt where the professor who "opposes and said 1994 central government laws and it guarantees the access of the troop to the campus where it was damaged with right with respect to constitution of the student of legal course of some person.

English to Japanese again.
ワシントン州なら- キャンパスの能力からの中央政府の資金を受け入れるか、または学生が"国防省に頼まないし、" 陽気なレズビアンのスタッフを言わない大学、管理された反対はどの月曜日であるか一致の米国の最高裁判所の方針軍隊のリクルーターを禁止することは可能でない。
陽気な新兵の拒否に卒直に書かれた高い方法協会の決定に関しては裁判所ロバーツジョンの新しい大統領。それは"反対する1994 の中央政府の法律およびそれ言われて人の法的コースの学生の憲法に関して権利と損なわれたキャンパスへの軍隊のアクセスを保証する教授がbasecourt の決定逆転し。

Japanese to English again.
If Washington - fund of central government from ability of the campus is accepted, or or the student "does not ask to the Defense Department and," the university which does not say the staff of the cheerful lesbian, as for the opposition which is managed which Monday is, as for prohibiting リクルーター of the policy troop of the Supreme Court of the United States of agreement it is not possible.
The president whose John courthouse Roberts is new in regard to the decision of the high methodological association where soldier/finishing it was written on the denial of the cheerful recruit immediately. As for that law of central government of 1994 where "it opposes and that being said, right the professor who guarantees the access of the troop to the campus where it is impaired decides is reversed of basecourt in regard to the constitution of the student of legal course of the person.

Conclusion, a group of monkeys might do a better job
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:18:28 AM EDT
[#1]
I heard a story a few decades back, (too long ago for it to be true) about a computer that was designed to translate languages.

They translated the phrase “out of sight, out of mind” into one language and then converted it back. It came back as “invisible idiot”
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:31:06 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I heard a story a few decades back, (too long ago for it to be true) about a computer that was designed to translate languages.

They translated the phrase “out of sight, out of mind” into one language and then converted it back. It came back as “invisible idiot”

here is the english to dutch to french to greek to english of "out of sight, out of mind"  : the confrontation, the opinion
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:34:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Giant shrimp, over...
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:35:41 AM EDT
[#4]

How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

A woodchuck would chuck all the wood a woodchuck would chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:43:39 AM EDT
[#5]

What is a gay lesbian?

If a negative times a negative is a positive, then isn't a gay lesbian actually a straight girl?
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:48:05 AM EDT
[#6]

What is a gay lesbian?

It's a cheerful resident of a certain Greek island.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 8:23:17 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

What is a gay lesbian?

If a negative times a negative is a positive, then isn't a gay lesbian actually a straight girl?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

It is clean_cut
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 8:25:55 AM EDT
[#8]
The way language is structured is completely different in different languages, which accounts for some of the awkward grammar you see in literal translations that have not been "normed" for the language being translated to.............
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 8:26:29 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

What is a gay lesbian?

It's a cheerful resident of a certain Greek island.

A good joke, but probably far too literate for ARFCOM.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top