Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/7/2006 5:57:21 PM EDT
While I'd love to get a Deere or a Simplicity, budget constraints just won't let me do it.  Checked out the Sears Craftsman DYT4000, which has the Briggs 18.5 hp engine, and automatic trans, for $1,299.  Also checked out the Toro and Huskee (I think their the same except the bodywork), with the 18 hp Kohler engine and auto trans for the same price.  

Which should I go with, the Briggs engine or the Kohler?  I've always heard good things about Kohler engines.  Consumer Reports shows a pretty good quality margin of the Craftsman over the Toro (Craftsman is rated just under Deere, actually).  Used tractors seem like they demand a pretty good price around here also.

Any small engine repair guys want to weigh in on this?  Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:59:10 PM EDT
[#1]
More importantly how large of a lot are you mowing?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:00:30 PM EDT
[#2]
I bought a JD L-120 last fall for $2,099.  Not sure I'd buy the same model (or brand).  It is a bitch to start and REALLY likes fuel.

The Home Depot now sells JD, Cub Cadet, and Toro.  You should check them out side by side by side.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:01:27 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

That is right on!
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:03:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Is it just for cutting grass or is it actually a small tractor?  I bought the Murray 18 hp riding mower six years ago. It has cut my three acres of hell with no mechanical failure or measureable wear.  I did replace the factory blades with Gator® blades.  They stay sharp even with the rocks on this Tennessee sidehill.

Mine is kept in the barn and washed after each use.  I predict it will last at least six more years.  That's a projected average of about $85 per year that this mower will cost me.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:04:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Toro
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:04:46 PM EDT
[#6]
John Deere
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:06:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Wizard.  Ask the same question here:

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/postlist.php/Cat/0/Board/lawn
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:06:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:11:18 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That is right on!

Whoops!  Got about an acre to mow.  I'm almost just thinking about buying a decent walk-behind.  Might even help me lose the 20 pounds I'm trying to!
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:13:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Personally, I like the Koehler engine...but that's just me.  I've had real good luck with several of them.  Always start and run great.

Gus
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:14:26 PM EDT
[#11]
DIXIE CHOPPER!
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:16:23 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Is it just for cutting grass or is it actually a small tractor?  I bought the Murray 18 hp riding mower six years ago. It has cut my three acres of hell with no mechanical failure or measureable wear.  I did replace the factory blades with Gator® blades.  They stay sharp even with the rocks on this Tennessee sidehill.

Mine is kept in the barn and washed after each use.  I predict it will last at least six more years.  That's a projected average of about $85 per year that this mower will cost me.

It'll be mainly for cutting grass, rolling, and pulling an aerator for right now.  It might see some snow plowing in the future.  I've got an old (early '60s) Colt tractor that I use to plow some driveways with now, but I think it's getting a bit tired.  

ETA: If it does get used in the winter, I'd probably look at getting a thrower for it instead of a plow blade.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:18:10 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
DIXIE CHOPPER!

+1

Here's info on the Dixie Chopper -
www.gizmag.com/go/5322/
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:04:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:13:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Nothin' runs like a Deere.

HH
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 7:39:55 AM EDT
[#16]
For the price of the cheapest POS Murray tractor you can buy a used commercial walk-behind with a 48" or larger deck and be done with an acre in 20-30 minutes depending on terrain. Plus the commercial rig will last forever in homeowner service.

I got an old Toro walk behind (not a ZTR unfortunately) with a 52" deck for $1K delivered. I replaced all the belts, sharpened up the blades and am happy as a clam. I put a (rather pricey) grass collector on it after a couple of years which has only slowed things down a tad.

aa
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 12:01:02 PM EDT
[#17]
I have a 19.5hp Sears that has been in fairly heavy use since 2001. It's had one starter/alternator in that time, a couple of batteries, and more freakin blades than I can count. The tractor part has been fine but I just don't like the way it cuts. If your yard is level and rock free your in good shape. If not the Sears brand blades are soft and bend or chip and tend to scalp if your not careful. The dischage chute tends to clog up when mowing damp heavy grass.

Please take this with a grain of salt. We had a 10hp Ford that was abused for 27 years before it expired. We could have bought 4 new Sears riders for what one new Ford would have cost. I have heard good things about the Toro mowers though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top