BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/6/2006 9:15:36 PM EDT
Complaints prompt review of cheerleading selection
Associated Press
March 6, 2006
www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/headline/metro/3703642.html
SOUTHLAKE -- Parents of some cheerleaders selected for a high school squad have filed a grievance with school officials claiming the selection process was overly inclusive.

The Carroll Independent School District board was scheduled to meet today to consider a request from the parents of 12 cheerleaders who want more than half of the squad's 32 members to be cut from the team.

"There's any number of complaints in this situation," district spokeswoman Julie Thannum said. "We're going to be hard-pressed to find something that will make everyone happy."

Debate over Carroll High School's cheerleading squad began with tryouts in December. Only 14 students earned scores high enough to make the team, far fewer than in previous years. Varsity cheerleaders are judged on their proficiency in tumbling, gymnastics and synchronized cheers.

Some parents of students who didn't make the team complained about what they saw as a flawed scoring system. The district responded by opening the team to anyone who tried out.

That drew the grievance from the 12 parents who want to shrink the squad.

"Varsity cheerleading has never been more competitive than today," the grievance says. "These girls have earned the right to be called varsity cheerleaders. They deserve recognition for years of hard work. These girls also deserve a squad equivalent to their talents."

If the board won't agree to cut members from the team, the parents said they would consider a compromise to create two cheerleading groups: a competition team with the original 14 girls and a spirit squad.

The teams would have separate coaches, classes and uniforms, and would not mix on the field or gym floor, according to the grievance.

Terri Keene, whose daughter was one of the original 14, said the district should not have bowed to pressure to override the tryout results.

"That's not what the girls prepared for," she said.

Superintendent David Faltys said he's been dealing with the cheerleading debate since early January, when he joined the district about 15 miles northeast of Fort Worth.

"It's taking a lot of time, an awful lot of time," Faltys said. "We are trying to make the best decision for all the kids."

The school board can grant or deny the parents' request, or offer another solution, such as holding new tryouts.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 9:16:18 PM EDT
[#1]
great.... i'm going to go try out for the Miami Dolphins and sue when they dont let me on the team
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 9:21:15 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
great.... i'm going to go try out for the Miami Dolphins and sue when they dont let me on the team

You're a moron and a post whore.

Please cease and desist all further communications via Arfcom at the shortest possible moment.

Thanks!

-Management
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 9:21:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Every child's a winner!!!
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 9:22:46 PM EDT
[#4]
At my high school, the cheerleading squad was mostly girls not good enough for dance team...
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 9:23:54 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Please cease and desist all further communications via Arfcom at the shortest possible moment.

Thanks!

-Management

thank you.  your insightful comment has greatly added to the discussion at hand.

-Management
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 9:29:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Well, they let everyone on the football team now.  Why not?

(Obvious sarcasm)
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 9:34:06 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks!

-Management

thank you.  your insightful comment has greatly added to the discussion at hand.

-Management

Then use it, you fucking weirdo.

Your post was about an NFL team who's sole purpose is to find the best dancers/cheerleaders.
The original post is about a High School that doesnt have to include everyone but some parents' mangina's have sand in them cuz their daughter was too fat or too ugly or not good enough to make the team.
Boo freaking hoo.
That's how life works, not everything is fair.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 9:35:52 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Well, then.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 9:41:32 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Your post was about an NFL team who's sole purpose is to find the best dancers/cheerleaders.
The original post is about a High School that doesnt have to include everyone but some parents' mangina's have sand in them cuz their daughter was too fat or too ugly or not good enough to make the team.
Boo freaking hoo.

and how did my post not correlate to the article?

girls were too fat/ugly/ect to make the team- they got pissed and sued

I'm too slow/unskilled to play pro football, thus the logic follows.

it was intended to mock the circumstances of the article to highlight the absurdity.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 9:42:38 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, then.

Haha.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 9:44:55 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Boo freaking hoo.

it was intended to mock the circumstances of the article to highlight the absurdity.

Well, don't intend anything.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 11:39:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 4:52:27 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Boo freaking hoo.

You did a good job of it.  However, it was a LOT funnier when I thought you were talking about getting on the Cheerleading Squad
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:10:20 PM EDT
[#14]
If it is an official sport activity of the high school, it is federally illegal to judge tryouts on looks. PERIOD. Most H.S. squad are lettered sports, btw. Out here, the cheer atheletes do not usually join the H.S. squad but compete in private teams. This is want my nieces do. They are working their way up to the finals on ESPN and won out in Las Vegas recently for So. Cal.  It is very competitive... nothing like H.S.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:14:08 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Every child's a winner!!!

My sentiments exactly. With sarcasm of course.
The problem with making all the losers winners is that it only drags winners down and attempts to make losers of them.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:15:26 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
img348.imageshack.us/img348/7411/nopics5oa.jpg

pics of what? the fat chicks that didn't make the cut, or the underage high school girls that did?
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:17:11 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

pics of what? the fat chicks that didn't make the cut, or the underage high school girls that did?

BOTH
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:20:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:27:21 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

in the news, there were a few extremely HOT brunettes in the squad....
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:31:21 PM EDT
[#20]
I don't understand how any parent would be willing to have their daughter do salacious dances and show off her crotch to a bunch a strangers in public.  Cheerleading is little more than tribal fertility dancing.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:31:57 PM EDT
[#21]
NO FAT CHICKS, some of us don't have on our beer goggles
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:34:21 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Boo freaking hoo.

Well, out right I understood the sarcasm in his post.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:42:11 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Boo freaking hoo.

I did too. I guess our friend in Iraq has sand in his mangina.

We had a drill team where the girls who weren't good enough to be on the cheerleading squads went. Basically, it was a cross between band and cheerleading.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:43:20 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Boo freaking hoo.

It sure seemed pretty clear(to me anyway)that he was poking fun at the school in the article, NOT the professional team
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:43:25 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Boo freaking hoo.

I also understood him.

Chill out guys.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 7:53:04 PM EDT
[#26]
I think part of what set these parents off was there was a tryout for the tryouts. There was a skills test if you will to see if you were qualified to tryout for the cheer leading squad. Cheer leading is not the fashion show it used to be and the girls really have to be athletic to do some of the stuff they do today. It's all pretty dance and gymnastics based. The fat kid who can't jump ain't gonna make it.

They do need to tone down the suggestive nature and some of the high risk stunts though. My wife calls it "ho dancing" and I tend to agree. This coming from the father of a 14 year old who lost interest in all this pretty quick after seeing some of her "friends" become obsessed with it.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:04:49 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I don't understand how any parent would be willing to have their daughter do salacious dances and show off her crotch to a bunch a strangers in public.  Cheerleading is little more than tribal fertility dancing.

And your point is?
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:19:03 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Boo freaking hoo.

I understood it as well.

I dont like him, so I make fun of him every chance I get.

What's hard to comprehend about that?
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:22:45 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

I understood it as well.

CoC#6 ring a bell?
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:37:59 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I understood it as well.

CoC#6 ring a bell?

Trolling ring a bell?
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 11:31:58 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Trolling ring a bell?

It's what you're doing so far in this thread. You must like bells.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 11:45:32 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Trolling ring a bell?

It's what you're doing so far in this thread. You must like bells.

That's an interesting hypothesis, no matter how wrong it is.

Can you say "npd233 is a hypocrite?"  Cuz by your "Definition", you're doing the same thing now.  Why dont you just drop it?
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:28:00 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I understood it as well.

CoC#6 ring a bell?

Try making fun of him when you can present a valid argument, otherwise you are just an ignorant flocktard(like you think he is)

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:38:02 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
At my high school, the cheerleading squad was mostly girls not good enough for dance team...

it was the other way around when i was in highschool.

we also had something called a "pep squad".  it consisted of the girls who were too fat to be actual cheerleaders.  the scary thing was that they had the exact same uniform as the cheerleaders - it was just a different color.  on the days that they wore their uniforms to class, we'd have a herd of 300 pound grils wearing extremely short skirts and tight fitting tops
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:45:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Why is there always some kind of pissing match on arfcom?

The fucks are hating the shitheads

the shitheads are hating the assholes

and the assholes are hating the fucks.

Why do some of y'all have to be dipshits?

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:52:39 PM EDT
[#36]
Should the people rejected from a college sue because the selection process is not inclusive enough? I mean, sure, I have a 2.75 GPA, but I wanna go to MIT for my undergrad. And then the original students who are qualified enough can sue so the fuckups don't slow down their classes.

I mean, jesus, this cheerleader stuff is just a humongous collection of people with sand in assorted orifices.

As to the cheerleaders at my HS, they may as well not wear the skirts, because the cheers they do expose their panties that much.

Not that I'd complain. The Varsity cheerleaders - HOTT.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:33:12 PM EDT
[#37]
Behind every student is a parent.  Behind every parent is a lawyer.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top