Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/6/2006 7:05:21 PM EDT
Of course all the parents are flipping out. Sounds like a good idea to me.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:06:49 PM EDT
[#1]
what took them so long?  We've had guards in Chicago 11 years ago when I was in high school.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:12:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, we had a cop in my HS in NYC 91-95, and it was a good school.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:16:08 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

It's probably their kid that'll be making the trouble.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:18:52 PM EDT
[#4]
We had a uniformed police officer in mine....and this is going on 20 years ago....in suburban middle-class NJ. It wasnt a full time thing, but there was an on duty office or detective on school grounds most of the time during school hours. I can only imagine what the inner cities are like these days.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:19:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Ban armed guards hired to guard children

....do it for the children.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:22:48 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
what took them so long?  We've had guards in Chicago 11 years ago when I was in high school.

When did you go to HS? My sister went to HS from 92-96 and they had a cop.  I went from 00-04 and there were cops as well.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:23:07 PM EDT
[#7]
We had a uniformed police officer at our High School. Carried a Glock 17 with a hogue handall grip.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:23:59 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No way, boo-boo would never do that
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:24:22 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

As an SRO myself, this has been exactly my experience.

-K
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:18:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Someone other than the kids should be armed.  Wasn't the "pro-fesh-shu-nl" in Detroit?
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:24:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Didn't see anything about it on google, but I did notice that parents complained last year when the schools reduced guards

Schools cut 24% of guards
Detroit district's ailing budget means fewer security staff as shootings raise safety fears.
December 09, 2005
Christine MacDonald and Doug Guthrie
The Detroit News
www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051209/SCHOOLS/512090406/1026
DETROIT -- The Detroit Public Schools has cut about 100 security guards in the past 18 months, despite union pleas that crime was rising and forces were stretched too thin.

The cuts, which represent a 24 percent drop in staff, came largely because of the district's loss of students and a $200 million budget deficit.

Today marks the second day the city's Police Department -- grappling with its own financial problems -- will assist the district's staff at area schools to quell safety concerns after two shootings at high schools this week.

The school district has 344 security guards for 230 schools, down from a high of 450 guards during the 2003-04 school year, according to union and district officials. That year, CEO Kenneth Burnley added security staff. But those security officers were laid off at the end of that school year because of budget problems brought on in part by declining student enrollment.

At the time of the layoffs, union officials criticized the cuts, saying crime was on the rise in schools. But school officials say crime is down and that the cuts were needed to deal with last school year's $200 million deficit.

"We didn't have a choice," said school district spokesman Lekan Oguntoyinbo. "We cut in every area. We cut teachers. We were hamstrung by a $200 million budget gap."

They say they have added video cameras to help overcome the loss of security officers and that they have closed 28 schools, which means there is less area to cover. District staff couldn't say on Thursday how much money the security cuts saved.

But parents were upset by the cuts. "I don't think they should cut that," said Barbara Owens, who has witnessed fights outside Mackenzie High School while picking up her 16-year-old son. "They need more and need to do their job right."

Union officials say the staffing is inadequate.

"You've got to understand Detroit is, how shall we say, a very active system," said Joseph Valenti, president of the Teamsters Local 214 that represents the district's security guards. "Our officers have their hands full. I am concerned and our parents should be concerned. … We should be over 400."

Charles Mitchell, head of the district's public safety office, maintains crime is down in the schools and that today's staffing is adequate.

"We are back to our normal strength," Mitchell said. "(Budget cuts are) the reality. We've designed our programs to deal with that."

Valenti and the Teamsters union sent a letter to Burnley in June 2004 claiming that crimes against staff and students were up dramatically. Valenti wouldn't comment on the source of those numbers Thursday.

All school districts report crime statistics to the state, but those numbers are generally criticized by experts as being underreported. Also, the state changed some reporting categories last year, making comparisons in the data unreliable.

Additional Detroit police officers visited district hotspots Thursday, after Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick called for beefed-up school security using the city's Police Department.

"When I see that, I see someone on my side," Desiree Turner said, referring to the Detroit police cruiser that was parked outside Durfee School when she picked up her two kids. "It was not wise to reduce security at all. When you put metal detector at the doors to replace humans and have no one to man them, you end up with children in the halls with nothing good to do."

Her son Steven said he likes school but admits he's sometimes frightened by the fights he sees and is constantly watching over his little brother on the playground.

But some experts say adding security isn't always the solution.

"The problem gets displaced and it goes somewhere else," said Mahesh Nalla, a criminal justice professor at Michigan State University.

The schools that have success in reducing crime use a broader approach that includes other aspects like peer mediation and mentoring, Nalla said.

Interim CEO William Coleman III echoed that theme earlier this week when he said the solution to the surge in violence will mean finding the cause of the incidents.

City officials won't say how many officers joined the district's existing security forces but said it won't cost more money because the officers are being taken from other assignments.

In addition to staff security guards, who don't carry guns and don't have the power to make arrests, the district has about 30 police officers on staff.

Kilpatrick wants Sheriff Warren Evans to take over security duties for the district, saying Evans could better connect the district with county resources, such as truancy programs. The newly elected school board will grapple with that issue when members take office next month. Some new board members have said they want to transform the district's security force into an independent police agency with added power.

Mitchell maintains that the inside of the schools are safe and that the problem is often outsiders. He said Evans' proposal is political.

"Warren Evans doesn't know diddly-squat about what happens in our schools," Mitchell said. "It's a power play for money and power."

The sheriff's office already handles security in the Highland Park district, with five school officers.

The pair of incidents began Monday: Two students were shot in the leg by a drive-by assailant as they walked home from Southeastern High School on the city's east side.

The next day, a student opened a side door at Central High School to allow a group of people in and one of the outsiders was shot in the arm in the school's vestibule.

Initially, Mitchell said the Central victim was an 18-year-old who did not attend school in the district. On Thursday, he said the victim was 14 years old and had been suspended from the district. That information couldn't be verified Thursday.

Also, a female janitor was stripped of her clothing and robbed Monday at Ronald Brown Academy.

Before this week, the last shooting in a Detroit school was January 2004, when a 19-year-old man entered Northern High School with a gun and shot a teenager six times in the leg, Mitchell said. The shooter was a student at another Detroit school.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:27:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Security gaurds or police?

Our police in our schools have been armed since they were put there
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:28:49 PM EDT
[#13]
In Houston schools they are either unarmed guards or Licensed Peace Officers
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:14:18 AM EDT
[#14]
I went to Henry Ford HS in Detroit back in '76-'78. We had cops back then, so this is nothing new.

Didn't do much good for a kid several years after I left. They found him on the front lawn after someone made him suck a 12 gauge.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:19:27 AM EDT
[#15]
I think armed gaurds, fire extinguishers, firrst aid kits and nurses have
no place in our schools.  There is simply
no way somthing bad could happen in a school.

It's just not possible.

Ask the Brady campaign and, the NEA.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:30:02 AM EDT
[#16]

Hey, maybe if they expelled all the pimps, junkies, thugs and gangstas from school there'd be a lot less need for armed guards.

Oh wait - this is Detroit. If they did that there'd be nobody left....

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:38:03 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:52:50 AM EDT
[#18]
Hell, we have a room with a CELL in our high school.  I think its just an office with a converted closet.  It was put in 2-3yrs ago, after I left. We always had atleast 1 armed cop in each lunch room(3) for the last 3 years I was there.  I don't know why it was put in, fights were not unusualy common though I guess the drug activity was high.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:55:01 AM EDT
[#19]
I can't believe the parents would have a problem with this, what with all the SHOOTINGS ON SCHOOL PROPERTY there have been recently.

Detroit is its own worst enemy.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:56:43 AM EDT
[#20]
The teachers are allowed to carry in Utah schools if they have their CCW.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:20:04 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thats how it always is.

Get some extra and ship them up here to Saginaw
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:31:23 AM EDT
[#22]
Armed guards ing Detroit schools? Hell, they need the NATIONAL guard in Detroit schools!
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:20:28 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Detroit is its own worst enemy.

So true. Kwamme throws some lipstick on the pig for the super bowl, and the ressidents line up to piss all over it.

There ws a decent article in the Detroit news today with quotes from parents supporting armed police in schools. The shitty council granted 500,000 to hire part time guards from the recent DPD layoff.  I threw the paper away, but IIRC the Wayne county sherrif had offered to take over resonsibility for security for the Detroit public schools but was turned down by the council. Seems like another example of the council refusing to admit its own incompitence and relinquish power over something.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top