Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/5/2006 11:21:07 AM EDT
So, what is the consensus on the hole United Arab Emerits with the port issue.

Good or bad
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 11:22:20 AM EDT
[#1]
I think you spelled "Emirates" incorrectly.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 11:26:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 11:26:35 AM EDT
[#3]
I think someone needs to really tellGWB that we weren't voting for him but against that fuckstick kerry, therefore he needs to tread very carefully cuz we're about done putting up with his shit.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 11:27:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Just checked it online, if you Google it you will get sites with both spellings but I'll go along with your spelling given my spelling sucks
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 11:28:22 AM EDT
[#5]
They're not taking control of customs, they're not firing everybody and shipping arabs in to work the ports, they're just taking the profits of port operation. How is that bad again?
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 11:30:12 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I think someone needs to really tellGWB that we weren't voting for him but against that fuckstick kerry, therefore he needs to tread very carefully cuz we're about done putting up with his shit.

We have a  

Well said
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 11:35:07 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

And what exactly are you going to do… not vote for him next time.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 11:58:32 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bush, obviously, is a lame duck but congress, however, is not. On election day, we can send a very loud message to any representative who agrees to go along with this UAE madness. This port deal has "Bad News" written all over it.  
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 12:02:08 PM EDT
[#9]
I think we don't need yet another thread on this topic.
BTW, it's neither good nor bad. It just is.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 12:04:13 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bush, obviously, is a lame duck but congress, however, is not. On election day, we can send a very loud message to any representative who agrees to go along with this UAE madness. This port deal has "Bad News" written all over it.  

So your solution is to go brain dead and elect just anybody who may or may not have opposed the port deal just as long as they did not say… good plan. Now that is madness.

You going to vote for Hillary now.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 12:06:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 12:08:57 PM EDT
[#12]
nevermind,it's been said.

With that in mind - what's the serious objection to a foreign owner taking some profit from out ports?
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 12:28:35 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So your solution is to go brain dead and elect just anybody who may or may not have opposed the port deal just as long as they did not say… good plan. Now that is madness.

First of all, it will be freezing in hell before I'd ever vote for hillery. Second, if you can't see what kind of potential problems this port deal to UAE can cause then you seriously need to pull your head out of the sand and buy yourself a huge freakin' clue. This deal is tantamount to selling access to pearl harbor to the japanese during world war 2. What's next? Selling access to our nuclear silos and weapons technology to the russians if they offer us enough money to get them. Ah, screw it! Let's just go ahead and sell the world enough rope they can use  to hang us while we're at it. We'll die in the end but, at least, we'll have the most (chinese and mexican made) toys when we do.

Really, how hard is this for people to understand? Even if UAE is a good allie of ours (and that's at least somewhat debatable) that doesn't stop them from access to security procedures which, once compromised, could have drastic effects on this nations port security. It simply isn't worth the risk---even if it's a small risk---and it's debatable whether or not the risk is really all that small. That's why we're having this debate in the first place.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 12:34:31 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

First of all, it will be freezing in hell before I'd ever vote for hillery. Second, if you can't see what kind of potential problems this port deal to UAE can cause then you seriously need to pull your head out of the sand and buy yourself a huge freakin' clue. This deal is tantamount to selling access to pearl harbor to the japanese during world war 2. What's next? Selling access to our nuclear silos and weapons technology to the russians if they offer us enough money to get them. Ah, screw it! Let's just go ahead and sell the world enough rope they can use  to hang us while we're at it. We'll die in the end but, at least, we'll have the most (chinese and mexican made) toys when we do.

Really, how hard is this for people to understand? Even if UAE is a good allie of ours (and that's at least somewhat debatable) that doesn't stop them from access to security procedures which, once compromised, could have drastic effects on this nations port security. It simply isn't worth the risk---even if it's a small risk---and it's debatable whether or not the risk is really all that small. That's why we're having this debate in the first place.

Don't roll your eyes at me you set the voting rule...

You just said you would vote against “any representative who agrees to go along with this UAE madness”.

That is a de facto vote foe Hillary if she runs for president against someone who was for the deal.

Or did you not rerally mean what you said.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 12:34:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Job one for the politicians is getting elected, I would never vote for a dem
But, if we keep voting for the republicans they will keep ignoring our situation

They have NOTHING to fear as long as people keep voting them in office
They will take notice ONLY if it affects them at the ballot box\voting booth

I will not vote for ANY republicans this year, maybe never again, that is the
way I chose to use my vote until some semblance of sanity is returned to
the legislative process, if you can think of another way to communicate to them
I would LOVE to hear it, nothing else has worked, the republicans are better than
any of the other alternatives..........they have just gotten so bad they are barely
distinguishable from the other flocktards that infest our "halls of power"
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 12:37:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Screw em!!! If it is not broke then do not fix it!!!!
GWB is pro contract it makes me sick!!!
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 12:37:52 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
But, if we keep voting for the republicans they will keep ignoring our situation

I would LOVE to hear it, nothing else has worked, the republicans are better than
any of the other alternatives..........they have just gotten so bad they are barely

I hope you feel good about your principled position when your guns go bye bye because of the inevitable unintended consequences of your actions.

Problem is you take responsible voters down with you.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 12:38:09 PM EDT
[#18]

Since the US Customs (which really needs more resources) actually is responsible for what comes into the country I just can't get too worked up over the deal.  I DO think the extra 45 days to examine the issue is good.  My understanding is that there will not be a bunch of terrorists suddenly in charge of the vessels and containers coming in, simply an UAE company directing operations of the ports in question (probably with domestic security oversight).  Again, The extra time to ensure the security is an absolute necessity but to panic and expect Bin Ladin to be in charge of the ports is a bit silly.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 12:39:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Just a continuation of the sell off of America.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 12:40:40 PM EDT
[#20]
The only other bidder was ChiCom Government owned really all you need to know.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 12:42:52 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I hope you feel good about your principled position when your guns go bye bye because of the inevitable unintended consequences of your actions.

I'm here to discuss it, what other alternatives do you suggest? They have stopped
listening to us, they are listening to the people that pay them under the table

This is not a "principle" issue with me, I am looking for a solution, what is YOUR solution?
(It needs to be one that works, not one that just makes us feel like we are contributing)
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 12:45:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Why was the contract up for a bid anyway???
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 12:47:26 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Bingo!!!!! This, essentially, was what I was trying to say in my 2 previous post and both parties of guilty of it (and, yes, virginia it needs to stop)! ML1911, thank you for summing up the situation better than me.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 12:47:38 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm here to discuss it, what other alternatives do you suggest? They have stopped

This is not a "principle" issue with me, I am looking for a solution, what is YOUR solution?
(It needs to be one that works, not one that just makes us feel like we are contributing)

The solution is obvious... quit bitching get involved in party politics and work to change things... instead of acting like a 3 year old holding his breath.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 12:49:14 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

We have a  i25.photobucket.com/albums/c57/nortonw/anim009.gif

Well said

+1  I am soooooooooo sick of Pres Bush's Shit
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 12:50:01 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

AGREED!!!
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 12:50:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Hilliary will run in 2008

remember that come the day.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 12:50:42 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Someone pointed out that some of the affected ports were Military ports that
transport Military supplies to war zones, possibly giving the enemy access to
bills of lading, schedules, logistical information........

Then someone else pointed out that the receiving ports in foreign countries ALREADY
get the same information, as they will whether this deal goes through or not

This situation is NOT as cut and dried as the illegal situation
I still stand by my comments about the legislators ignoring us
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 12:52:32 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Why was the contract up for a bid anyway???

Cause the British company that did it no longer wants to... clue for everyone. I believe all US port are NOW foreign run… There is only one US company really ready to do the job… guess who that might be and the reaction if the Bush Administration has allowed them the contact no bid.

Damned if you do dammed if you don’t. There were two choices here and the other was Chinese.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 12:53:51 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The solution is obvious... quit bitching get involved in party politics and work to change things... instead of acting like a 3 year old holding his breath.

Oh well, there goes any hope of rational discussion with YOU
Why don't you try having more than a 3 year old understanding
of the QUESTION I ASKED, what YOU propose has been TRIED repeatedly
AND IT HAS BEEN FAILING MISERABLY
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 12:59:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Much ado about nothing.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 1:01:48 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

For what it's worth, I have voted in every national election and most state and local elections that has occurred in the last 15 years. I don't go around "acting like a 3 year old holding his breath" as I am [politically] involved and will continue to remain so.  Your patronizing response is more than just a little hollow in my opinion and it does nothing but confuse the debate with useless rhetoric.

The bottomline (for me anyway) is that there are more important things than money in this world and (especially during a time of war) this shouldn't be to hard to understand. You don't sell access to a critical part of your economy to a nation---any nation----which could help compromise your security either economically or militarily (please remember most of our military forces are shipped across the world via heavy lift ships-----"loose lips sinks ships" and all that comes into play right about here).
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 1:04:35 PM EDT
[#33]
I love it when a member that has been here for years without breaking 500posts
feels so strongly about a post\thread that they "break silence"
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 1:05:11 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

What exactly have you run for... What campaigns have you worked on… how many letters do you write… you are indeed part of the problem all whine no substance.

Link Posted: 3/5/2006 1:08:47 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What exactly have you run for... you are indeed part of the problem all whine no substance.

Yeah, thats me, part of the problem, I'm pushing this port deal through whether YOU like it or not
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 1:11:58 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Yeah, thats me, part of the problem, I'm pushing this port deal through whether YOU like it or not

And what exactly have you done again.... yes you are part of the problem if you are not out the active in the political process and I do not mean voting.

Holding your breath like as 3 tear old and have a voting tantrum is not really doing a damn thing to change anything… it might make you fell good but is pretty childish and harmful.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 1:14:16 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And what exactly have you done again.... yes you are part of the problem if you are not out the active in the political process and I do not mean voting.

Holding your breath like as 3 tear old and have a voting tantrum is not really doing a damn thing to change anything… it might make you fell good but is pretty childish and harmful.

Did you read the rest of this page? You seem to be ignoring the other guys agreeing with me
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 1:17:25 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Did you read the rest of this page? You seem to be ignoring the other guys agreeing with me

What have they done...

And what exactly have you done again... still waiting. Just say nothing and get it over with.

You bitch continually about illegal immigration… but what exactly have you done about it… did you write any letters, work in any campaigns, orginize anything, patrol any border… what have you done other than bitch... and watching Lou Dobbs does not equate to doing something.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 1:25:03 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What have they done...

And what exactly have you done again... still waiting. Just say nothing and get it over with.

You bitch continually about illegal immigration… but what exactly have you done about it… did you write any letters, work in any campaigns, orginize anything, patrol any border… what have you done other than bitch... and watching Lou Dobbs does not equate to doing something.

Why do you think that I answer to you, why do you think that you have the right to pass
judgement on the way that I use my vote, why do you assume that I don't contribute?

As soon as you convince me that I answer to you I will give you my report on ALL my activities
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 1:31:03 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
As soon as you convince me that I answer to you I will give you my report on ALL my activities

You don’t have to I already know totality of your activities… cut and paste.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 1:36:26 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wow, you espouse a failing methodology and then attack me based on some observation that you pulled out of your ass

I am still waiting for a suggestion for a workable plan, instead of something that has been tried and failed repeatedly

Somehow, I don't think I am going to hear anything other than "get involved" and "you suck"
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 3:58:38 PM EDT
[#42]
Remember, McCain will probably run again which is not much better than Hillary. Ya never know what that sombitch will do to appease the other side.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 4:46:25 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wow, you espouse a failing methodology and then attack me based on some observation that you pulled out of your ass

I am still waiting for a suggestion for a workable plan, instead of something that has been tried and failed repeatedly

Somehow, I don't think I am going to hear anything other than "get involved" and "you suck"

Tick, tick, tick...

I am still waiting for you to tell me ONE thing YOU have done... What have YOU actually tried… evidently you have done nothing but talk about how indignant you are. These issues are so important to you have invested absolutely nothing real in them.

I would not be surprise to find out you don’t even bother to vote.

Enough of this.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 4:57:31 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Hilliary will run in 2008

remember that come the day.

I'm predicting that it will be one of those vital elections for gun owners where the only "reasonable" options are to vote for A) the guy who pisses on gun rights or B) the one who pisses and shits on them, and voting for a third guy that believes in gun rights is a terrible idea.

Just like in 2004...and 2000...
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 5:45:16 PM EDT
[#45]
I trust the uae a lot more than I trust the US democrat party.

I don't trust the uae at all.

Export democrats,  import Wolf Ammo.

Link Posted: 3/5/2006 5:55:33 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Tick, tick, tick...

I am still waiting for you to tell me ONE thing YOU have done... What have YOU actually tried… evidently you have done nothing but talk about how indignant you are. These issues are so important to you have invested absolutely nothing real in them.

I would not be surprise to find out you don’t even bother to vote.

Enough of this.

I guess I'll have to read this thread again tomorrow, to re-evaluate it and see if you have a leg to stand on, as of now I don't think you do
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:18:01 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
nevermind,it's been said.

With that in mind - what's the serious objection to a foreign owner taking some profit from out ports?

This issue is one of management control. At management's discretion, they can send a team of internal auditors to ensure the security of their financial assets. Those internal auditors could be 100% American. Yet the information that could be gathered for the owners of the port management could be turned over to bad guys. Internal auditors could ask questions about anything including computer security, data management, security detail surrounding fixed assets, and even...Coast Guard security procedures, the port management may want to enhance that security.

With over 10,000 stocks and businesses for sale in the US, why does the UAE need port management. If this is a quid pro quo, then give them some other business, but not something that is such a security issue.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:19:56 PM EDT
[#48]
Much ado about nothing.....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top