BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/4/2006 4:53:56 PM EDT
Most polls seem to agree that 80% of Americans want illegals stopped

Poll: Voters tough on immigrationBART JONES
STAFF WRITER
March 4, 2006
www.newsday.com/news/nationworld/nation/ny-uspoll044650331mar04,0,5965057.story?coll=ny-nationalnews-print
With debate over immigration heating up in Washington, a Quinnipiac University poll released Friday found that 83 percent of immigrants or their children and grandchildren believe illegal immigration is a "very serious" or "somewhat serious" problem.

The poll also found that 88 percent of all poll respondents share the same opinion. And it said that by 72 percent to 25 percent, U.S. voters oppose giving undocumented immigrants driver's licenses.

"This poll reflects local concerns about immigrants gathering on street corners, waiting for jobs, or packed into illegal housing and the like," said Maurice Carroll, director of the Quinnipiac University Polling Institute. "Red state, blue state, and purple state voters agree: Illegal immigration is a serious problem."

The poll, conducted Feb. 21 to 28, surveyed 1,892 registered voters nationwide. The survey had a margin of error of plus or minus 2.3 percentage points.

The poll found that 39 percent of voters want to reduce the current level of legal immigration, 24 percent want to increase it, and 33 percent want to maintain it. The poll also found that:

By 62 percent to 32 percent, voters oppose making it easier for undocumented immigrants to become citizens.

By 84 percent to 14 percent, they favor requiring proof of legal residency to obtain government benefits.

Some 50 percent approve of the automatic U.S. citizenship granted to children of undocumented immigrants born in the United States, with 42 percent in favor of eliminating it.

"You'd think people would be sympathetic to them because, let's face it, they're here for the same reasons everyone else is here: Because they can improve their lives," Carroll said. "Yet the Quinnipiac poll shows very little sympathy for these illegal immigrants."
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 4:55:22 PM EDT
[#1]
ibtp!

ETA: I'm an idiot.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 4:59:40 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
ibtp!

I don't do polls here, they are too anonymous

How about this?

0 I like illegals, just nimby(not in my backyard)
0 I like illegals, as long as they work for less than minimum wage
0 I like illegals, as long as they don't kidnap, rape and kill my daughters
0 I like illegals, as long as they don't kill one of my family members dui-hit-and-run
0 I like illegals, as long as they don't steal my social security number and increase my taxes
0 I DON'T like illegals, they are criminals, call the president and tell him that we are being INVADED
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 5:00:40 PM EDT
[#3]
how bout: I dont like illegals, and would love permission to shoot them on sight.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 5:04:01 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
how bout: I dont like illegals, and would love permission to shoot them on sight.

better to arrest them and be sure they are illegals then deport or jail them, of course if they resist.............
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 5:40:38 PM EDT
[#5]
please forward that to GWB43
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 7:18:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Wait until one of these undocumented workers crosses the center line and hits you head on at 50mph. Of course they have no insurance and flee the scene of the accident. I think we need a few more million undocumented workers in OUR country.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 7:58:59 PM EDT
[#7]
80% of citizens don't feed money to their politicians and business organizations that lobby in D.C.

80% sit on their ass and bitch, while Joe's Body Shop hires illegals. Joe gets a great deal. He gets workers who show up on time and do passing quality work for sub-par wages. The citizens pay for the illegal's health care and for his wife to have 13 kids.

Joe has a sweet deal and no one is going to jeopardize it.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:01:11 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
please forward that to GWB43

I'm trying to
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:05:03 PM EDT
[#9]
We will always have the illegals here as long as we have welfare. The welfare state will pay the lazy $14,000 per year to do nothing. Americans feel they are too good to do the types of jobs that illegals come here to do.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:05:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Doesn't matter what the public thinks.  The elites have decided that illegal immigration is good.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:07:30 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
80% of citizens don't feed money to their politicians and business organizations that lobby in D.C.

80% sit on their ass and bitch, while Joe's Body Shop hires illegals. Joe gets a great deal. He gets workers who show up on time and do passing quality work for sub-par wages. The citizens pay for the illegal's health care and for his wife to have 13 kids.

Joe has a sweet deal and no one is going to jeopardize it.

I afraid you are right. For the 20 percent who take action. Check these guys out.

secure.responseenterprises.com/minutemanhq/registration.php?a=100
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:08:42 PM EDT
[#12]
So, 17% of Americans are for lawlesness.

Gee, that would be the percent of Hispanics nearly.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:08:47 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

better to arrest them and be sure they are illegals then deport or jail them, of course if they resist.............

Now if we only still had the fleeing felon rule...(illegal immigration is a felony right?)
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:10:28 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Now if we only still had the fleeing felon rule...(illegal immigration is a felony right?)

Only if they re-enter after being deported
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:11:28 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Doesn't matter what the public thinks.  The elites have decided that illegal immigration is good.

At 80% it might very well matter, that is what we are about to find out
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:18:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Here's the news from Los Angeles.  A homeless illegal immigrant Mexican stole my car.  Another one kicked my motorycle out into the street and ruined it.  Another one threw a rock through my window and a fourth one staggers around drunk on the street in front of my apartment building and threatened my neighbors and my woman.

I would like to do something about this, but I fear jail more than I want revenge.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:20:41 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Here's the news from Los Angeles.  A homeless illegal immigrant Mexican stole my car.  Another one kicked my motorycle out into the street and ruined it.  Another one threw a rock through my window and a fourth one staggers around drunk on the street in front of my apartment building and threatened my neighbors and my woman.

Would you consider that more of a "family values" issue or a "diversity" issue?
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:24:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Hispanics are the No. 1 minority in the U.S.  That is a lot of voters.  No politician is willing to get tough on the border and risk alienating 14 percent of the U.S. population.  If you put the national guard on the border, the flood of illegals would be virtually over.  
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:36:43 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Hispanics are the No. 1 minority in the U.S.  That is a lot of voters.  No politician is willing to get tough on the border and risk alienating 14 percent of the U.S. population.  If you put the national guard on the border, the flood of illegals would be virtually over.  

That is the easy answer and it is not true... Risk of alienating Hispanics citizens is not a problem. Poll after poll has shown Hispanic citizens are NOT in favor of illegal immigration. Legal immigrants tend to be hostile to illegal immigration because they did it the right way.

The truth is the American people in general DO NOT support candidates that favor illegal immigration control… we are our own worst enemy.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:41:41 PM EDT
[#20]
The polls say that immigrants don't like illegals, hispanics don't like illegals
But, I personally know of hispanics that support illegals COMPLETELY
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:52:18 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That is the easy answer and it is not true... Risk of alienating Hispanics citizens is not a problem. Poll after poll has shown Hispanic citizens are NOT in favor of illegal immigration. Legal immigrants tend to be hostile to illegal immigration because they did it the right way.

The truth is the American people in general DO NOT support candidates that favor illegal immigration control… we are our own worst enemy.

Illegal immigration will be a political issue in the 2008 presidential campaign, but both candidates will be tap-dancing around the issue.  Around here there are a lot of Hispanics that are perfectly fine with the illegal immigrants (or undocumented workers as they are called).  They claim the illegals take jobs that Caucasians won't and that keeps costs low for everyone.  What they fail to point out is the extra cost to the taxpayers for educating, feeding, clothing, and taking care of their medical expenses.  Oh yes, and incarcerating those who commit crimes while they are here.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:55:03 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Illegal immigration will be a political issue in the 2008 presidential campaign, but both candidates will be tap-dancing around the issue.  Around here there are a lot of Hispanics that are perfectly fine with the illegal immigrants (or undocumented workers as they are called).  They claim the illegals take jobs that Caucasians won't and that keeps costs low for everyone.  What they fail to point out is the extra cost to the taxpayers for educating, feeding, clothing, and taking care of their medical expenses.  Oh yes, and incarcerating those who commit crimes while they are here.

Don't forget the HIGH rate of sex crimes, especially against defenseless children and the forced prostitution of women and children that is becoming their trademark

MILITARIZE THE DAMN BORDER, END WELFARE TO ILLEGAL ALIENS AND THEIR CHILDREN
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 9:19:11 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm Hispanic, and I can't stand the illegals.  They are the lowest class, mostly illiterate in spanish and english, and they are by definition all criminals.  SHIP THEM BACK.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 11:51:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Looks like the percentage is opposite for congress, losing elections is the only thing that they will listen to

Majority on Hill back plan for aliens
By Stephen Dinan
THE WASHINGTON TIMES
March 4, 2006
www.washtimes.com/national/20060303-114358-6040r.htm
Republicans and Democrats in Congress would accept a guest-worker plan, according to a new poll that found more than 70 percent of senators and representatives supporting the idea.
   The National Journal Insiders Poll, a survey of members of Congress, found both parties are ready to accept a plan that would allow more foreigners to legally come to work in the United States.
   Support was 73 percent among Republicans and 77 percent among Democrats.
   "There's a clear bipartisan consensus behind a temporary-worker program," said Don Stewart, spokesman for Sen. John Cornyn, Texas Republican. "Now comes the more difficult task of actually doing something about it."
   He said that's because the agreement on a guest-worker program belies the wide range of possible programs.
   Mr. Cornyn's own proposal, sponsored along with Sen. Jon Kyl, Arizona Republican, would set up a three-year cycle under which foreign workers could come for two years then return home for a year. They could renew for two additional cycles, but the program would not provide a path to citizenship.
   The proposal also gives illegal aliens now in the country five years to leave and no options for a path to citizenship.
   That proposal stands in contrast to the multi-step path to citizenship envisioned by Sen. John McCain, Arizona Republican, and Sen. Edward M. Kennedy, Massachusetts Democrat.
   Their worker program would last six years and be open to both new workers and current illegal aliens. Both would have the chance to apply for permanent residency and then citizenship at the end of the program.
   The Insiders Poll printed some of the responses from members of Congress, without naming them, and the divide over the issue was clear.
   "Ten million [aliens] ain't going anywhere," one Democrat said. "Wake up and smell the coffee, and start a guest-worker program with a pathway for citizenship."
   But a Republican, who also said a guest-worker program could pass, stressed the need for a "delicate balance to ensure that our borders are secure and workers coming to America do so temporarily."
One Democrat who supported a guest-worker program said there's little chance of success.
   "The reality is that the prospects of a guest-worker bill are dead," the Democrat said. "The Republican base is too animated over immigration, and the Dubai fiasco will embolden them to further separate from the president."
   The Insiders Poll surveyed 111 members of Congress. On the guest-worker question, 84 responded -- 41 Republicans and 43 Democrats.
   In July the Insiders Poll found that immigration and border security topped the list of issues "most on the minds of your constituents these days" for Republicans in Congress.
   In that poll, 17 of 37 Republicans put immigration tops, far above the No. 2 issue of the economy. For Democrats, though, immigration was at the top of the list for just two of the 35 members who responded.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 7:30:27 PM EDT
[#25]
What? Taxpaying American Citizens DON'T want to pay for illegals to be on welfare?

Poll Finds Americans Oppose Benefits For Illegal Immigrants
March 5, 2006
www.ny1.com/ny1/content/index.jsp?stid=1&aid=57526
Despite the hundreds who gathered in SoHo earlier this week in support of legal employment for immigrants, Americans are overwhelmingly are against giving government benefits to illegal immigrants according to a new poll.

When asked whether voters support or oppose requiring proof of legal residency to obtain government benefits, 84 percent said only legal residents are entitled.

A new Quinnipiac Poll finds that 88 percent of U.S. voters say illegal immigration is a very serious or somewhat serious problem.

The poll also sampled immigrant voters, a group that included the children and grandchildren of immigrants. Of that group, 83 percent say illegal immigration is very serious or somewhat serious.

The poll has a margin of error of 2.3 percentage points.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 7:54:22 PM EDT
[#26]
so the sheriff of LA county says 25% of his jail is filled with illegals, pretty much none there for immigration crimes... so does that mean 25% of the pop in LA is illegal or they just commit a lot of crime?
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 8:00:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Special order 40 pretty much guarantees that NONE of them were arrested for "immigration violations"

They are approximately 10% of the population (25-30MILLION) but they are over represented
in the legal system by a factor of two or three times their population numbers..........go figure
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top