Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/4/2006 8:18:40 AM EDT
It seems to be a good alliance to deal with BOTH the Muslims AND the PRC.  What are the pitfalls, if any to this?

President Bush is India, completing a deal on India's nuclear program, and advancing U.S.-Indian ties in the strategic and economic fields. Bush reportedly told India's Prime Minister Manmohan Singh that he would press Musharraf to close terror camps in Pakistan. President Bush also stopped off in Afghanistan.

Does this not seem to be a very thinly veiled threat to Musharref that he needs to chose sides now, and clean out the "tribal zones" or die trying.  And that we are preparing for the possibility that it might INDEED result in Musharrefs overthrow if he tries- thus resulting in a Indian invasion?
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:25:28 AM EDT
[#1]
I hope there is an invasion in 10 years after India is very powerful . I await the ensuing bloodbath. A few more terrorist attacks and the population will be screaming for blood.

Partition will seem like a joke. Or at least I hope.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:26:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Well, Bush has certainly landed a big one. He is creating an ally to counter China's military power and he's drawing a hard line on the ground on Pakistan's eastern border. "Islam stops here."

I'll keep my eyes open for improvemnts in India's space, air & navel forces.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:27:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Musharref seems like an OK fellow, but his days are numbered. When the apeshit crazy ROPers takeover in Pakistan, it would behoove us to have some firm allies in the region, and India comes with the added bonus of already wanting to flatten Pakistan...
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:34:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Seems like a good idea to me.  Helping India meet its future energy needs through nuclear power will help take demand off for petroleum, low prices of which are hugely important to our country.  India's growing middle class speaks English, and will be a market for US goods and media.  We aren't producing many scientists and engineers, so US industry can use Indians willing to study and work in those fields.  They're a democracy, and a great example about how a country's potential is unleashed when the command style of economy is abanded for a free, international one.

The only people whining are, surprise, disingenuous and cynical Democrats who are making the ridiculous charge that helping India which has had the bomb since 1974 is somehow a threat to American national security.  They think they can get more mileage out of their newly discovered concern for national defense after the Dubai port deal.......which only succeeded because common sense says Gulf Arabs are the biggest supporters of al-Qaeda terrorism.  The Democrats--who think the American public is stupid, racist, xenophobic--will react the same way to the Hindu, victims of Islamic terrorism, Indians as they did to demagoguery against the Arab Muslims.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:42:47 AM EDT
[#5]
It would appear that GWB is on the right track concerning a strategic partnership with India. I've said since 9-11 that we should crush islam by force with the Indians and Israelis by our side.

Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:45:27 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Seems like a good idea to me.  Helping India meet its future energy needs through nuclear power will help take demand off for petroleum, low prices of which are hugely important to our country.  India's growing middle class speaks English, and will be a market for US goods and media.  We aren't producing many scientists and engineers, so US industry can use Indians willing to study and work in those fields.  They're a democracy, and a great example about how a country's potential is unleashed when the command style of economy is abanded for a free, international one.

The only people whining are, surprise, disingenuous and cynical Democrats who are making the ridiculous charge that helping India which has had the bomb since 1974 is somehow a threat to American national security.  They think they can get more mileage out of their newly discovered concern for national defense after the Dubai port deal.......which only succeeded because common sense says Gulf Arabs are the biggest supporters of al-Qaeda terrorism.  The Democrats--who think the American public is stupid, racist, xenophobic--will react the same way to the Hindu, victims of Islamic terrorism, Indians as they did to demagoguery against the Arab Muslims.

I take it that you have strong feelings about the subject?  Too bad the Dems are more worried about what goes on in India than what goes on on our southern border.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:48:38 AM EDT
[#7]
India already has nukes.  So its not like we are enabling them to acquire the knowledge and ability to build nukes.

India will be a super counterweight to China and Islam.

Takes pressure off the oil supply.

I think GWB is making the correct decisions.  The dems of course will not agree just because GWB made it happen regardless if its a good idea or not.

Link Posted: 3/4/2006 2:06:22 PM EDT
[#8]
It's a good decision.  They badly need electricity and infrastructure in India and the other ready source of electricity is natural gas sent in pipelines from the Gulf or Iran.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top