Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/4/2006 7:10:01 AM EDT
moneycentral.msn.com/content/Banking/FinancialPrivacy/P77623.asp

Angie got a shock when she checked her credit report last year. The Kansas State University student discovered one of the credit cards listed hadn’t been paid in more than two months -- and it wasn’t an account she recognized.

“I called my mother to talk to her about it and how I was worried I was a victim of identity fraud,” Angie said. “My mother confessed that she was the one that had used the card when she got in a bind.”

The mother had intercepted a preapproved credit card application intended for Angie, forged Angie’s signature and added herself as an authorized user. “She (got the card) thinking she would have it under control, but it went delinquent over Christmas time when money was short,” Angie explained.

these people make me sick.  they betray the trust of their children for short-term financial gain, and their children are often loathe to report them and get their credit fixed because they feel like they're betraying their parents.  these scum should be locked up as child abusers.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:05:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Report their parents?? It's likely that, in this case anyway, that the parents are the ones paying the daughter's way in college. No wonder they are short on cash. The Mom would probably be the one paying off the daughter's card, anyway.

I see what you mean, though. She's just getting herself in deeper, at the expense of her daughter's credit rating.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:08:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Nothing new here.  There are kids that have had their credit ruined, and they aren't even old enough to drive.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:20:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Damn but that is just plain wrong.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 2:25:48 PM EDT
[#4]

If I sat on a jury for something like this, I'd make sure that the kid was awarded enough money to complete education, pay off debts, and probably buy a home.

On the criminal side, the parent should be in jail for a long, long time.

Jim
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 2:35:03 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
If I sat on a jury for something like this, I'd make sure that the kid was awarded enough money to complete education, pay off debts, and probably buy a home.

What makes you think the kind of parents who would do things like this would have any assets?  Generally, the ones who can afford to pay for things don't pull crap like this.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 2:50:02 PM EDT
[#6]
One of my best friends had this happen to him.

Mom took out a cc in his name and threw 7K of charges on it then never paid any bills.

Rather than turn her in, he moved out of the house, stopped associating with her, and paid off the bill.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top