Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/3/2006 10:23:26 PM EDT
I've always connected to the internet through my AOL.  I've been getting frustrated with it lately, and wanted to try to use something else.

I started using "Firefox" on my son's recommendation yesterday, and I'm kind of liking it! Its much faster. The only downside is that I can't see my friends online. Well...that and the missing favorite places.

What do you guys use to connect to the internet?

Thanks to Elcamino, for confirming that what I was talking about, was indeed called a "browser"
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:24:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Epiphany Browser
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:24:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:33:02 PM EDT
[#3]
I look at the raw code, kindof like "The Matrix".

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:33:40 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I look at the raw code, kindof like "The Matrix".

www.tucows.com/pimg/themes/savers/matrixcodess.gif

Stop looking at me taking a shower...

perv....
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:34:29 PM EDT
[#5]
The ONLY, and I mean only, reason I use Firefox is because IE is more of a security problem.   I switched at Firefox 1.0.  I never had any problems with IE, but then again I tend to not authorize malicious code to run on my computers in the hopes of seeing Angelina Jolie naked.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:35:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Another satisfied Firefox user.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:46:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Firefox.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:46:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Konqueror when I am in Linux, Opera when I am in windows, and Safari on my laptop
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:51:46 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
The ONLY, and I mean only, reason I use Firefox is because IE is more of a security problem.   I switched at Firefox 1.0.  I never had any problems with IE, but then again I tend to not authorize malicious code to run on my computers in the hopes of seeing Angelina Jolie naked.

Um...

Yeah, RIGHT!

So...is Firefox the best?
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:51:50 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I feel so inadequate.

Does this "Matrix thing" come with favorite places, and a "buddylist?"

Yes!  Just download "Morpheus 2.1" with the Trinity patch and you'll be fine.  
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:55:52 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I feel so inadequate.

Thanks my Stalker.

I'm going in right now to look....
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 11:00:00 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I feel so inadequate.

Thanks my Stalker.

I'm going to feel bad if you're really out there looking for Morpheus 2.1.  

Stalk... stalk... stalk...      <----Practicing.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 11:02:51 PM EDT
[#14]
I used Firefox until two days ago when FieroLoki introduced me to Maxthon.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 11:04:05 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I used Firefox until two days ago when FieroLoki introduced me to Maxthon.

Hells Yes!!!!  
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 11:04:47 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Um...

Yeah, RIGHT!

So...is Firefox the best?

Come on, if I want to see Angelina Jolie naked I'll just call her up and have her drop by. Tell her to leave the Cambodian kid with Brad for the night.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 11:05:01 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I feel so inadequate.

Thanks my Stalker.

I'm going to feel bad if you're really out there looking for Morpheus 2.1.  

Stalk... stalk... stalk...      <----Practicing.

Um...I didn't really google Morpheous 2.1....

Really!

www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=Morpheus+2.1&spell=1

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 11:20:15 PM EDT
[#18]
AIM, I think you can use your aol screenname and it should have your buddies. I could be 152% wrong tho
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 6:51:25 AM EDT
[#19]
i alternate from firefox and opera in windoz.   I use konqurore  in linux    

unforunatly because you are using AOL.   to use your favorite i believe you have to continue using the aol browser.   which is basically IE  

you can switch to another browswer but i don't think you can export your favorites.   i could be wrong also.   you couldn't pay me to use AOL's crappy internet service AND software
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 6:52:58 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 7:41:07 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I've always connected to the internet through my AOL.

I started using "Firefox" on my son's recommendation yesterday, and I'm kind of liking it!

The only downside is that I can't see my... favorite places.

As long as you didn't remove AOL from your 'puter, you should still be able to bring up your AOL favorites. The links won't work, but you can still C&P them to your new address bar, and save each one that way.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 2:35:28 PM EDT
[#22]
In windows, in order of preference:

Mozilla
Firefox (I prefer certain facets of the Mozilla UI better than their implementation in Firefox)
Opera
Lynx  (Yes, really installed and functional on all my machines)
IE

In Linux, in no particular order:

Mozilla
Firefox
Galeon
Dillo
Lynx
Konqueror
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 2:36:55 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I started using "Firefox" on my son's recommendation yesterday, and I'm kind of liking it!

As long as you didn't remove AOL from your 'puter, you should still be able to bring up your AOL favorites. The links won't work, but you can still C&P them to your new address bar, and save each one that way.

Surely the AOL browser has a method to export your bookmarks/favorites.  The resulting file can then be imported into Firefox, or simply browsed as an HTML page.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 2:37:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Firefox
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 2:54:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Opera now after I found that Firefox was using some serious RAM.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 2:56:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Safari
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 3:07:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Safari
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 3:19:46 PM EDT
[#29]
I've been using IE ever since I discovered that microsoft TRIES to make other browers(mainly netscape navigator)crash when using windows
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 3:20:31 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I've been using IE ever since I discovered that microsoft TRIES to make other browers(mainly netscape navigator)crash when using windows

I would try to make netscape navigator crash in my operating system also.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 3:21:42 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Another satisfied Firefox user.

+1
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 3:22:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Firefox.  I dont leave my browser windows open all day so its fine for me.

Opera is a clusterfudge of an eyesore. There is no way for me to get it to where I am comfortable looking at it and using it.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 3:25:46 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Opera is a clusterfudge of an eyesore. There is no way for me to get it to where I am comfortable looking at it and using it.

Is there a problem with leavng the browser open all the time? I try to log out at least once a week..
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 3:30:52 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is there a problem with leavng the browser open all the time? I try to log out at least once a week..

In Firefox there is you haev a bunch of them open and left running for a long time. Once  a week you log out? Looking at smoe of the complaints frm others who do that, I would try something else.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 3:33:47 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would try to make netscape navigator crash in my operating system also.

Started surfing with Navigator Netscape 2.02(came with my first ISP)liked it better than IE
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 3:37:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Firefox.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 3:48:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Firefox generally, most all the time.

IE only for trusted sites that I know don't work right in Firefox.

Mozilla is installed also, but rarely used (for testing web page work for compatability).
Opera=proprietary, it would be perfect if it was open-source.

?

.....A big reason not to use IE is security issues that alternate browsers don't suffer.
IE-based browsers would seem to have all the security problems that IE does; if you can get tabbed browsing without IE, why bother with IE at all?
~
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 3:50:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Safari.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 3:55:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Firefox right now, but I'm gonna definately look into Maxthon.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 4:15:53 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Maxthon

+1    Works great and has loads of nifty plugins, like firefox does.  

Been using it for probably 2-3 years now, I think...  No complaints yet.

Why don't you just reinstall AOL's messenger (only) ?  Then you can see all your friends again.

I'd suggest completely uninstalling any AOL software left on the computer, but since the scumbags like to replace system files with their own 'customized' versions    you run the risk of having things just stop working, if you don't know what to do....  So probably better off leaving well enough alone for now.

Putting the messenger back though, is a no hassle situation....... OR you can use Trillian, which connects to ALL the major instant messengers  (AOL, MSN YAHOO, ICQ, etc) and the basic version is free, to boot

I use it, and it works great......  AND no extra adware crap gets added in, like the others.

AOL is da debbil      anything you can do to get away from that garbage is always a good idea.

John
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 5:46:06 PM EDT
[#41]
Firefox.

I also use Messenger, as JB69 just said, and he's definately right about what happens when you uninstall AOL. I would suggest taking everything you value off your PC (save it to disk), and then do a complete Reformat. That way you have no files that are corrupted by AOL.

IE is hideously slow, freezes up constantly, and has lots of sudden shutdowns.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 5:49:45 PM EDT
[#42]
Use Firefox and use the  AOL instant messenger program, with it open you will still be able to see your friends online.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 5:51:54 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Surely the AOL browser has a method to export your bookmarks/favorites.  The resulting file can then be imported into Firefox, or simply browsed as an HTML page.

You would think so... but that would be too convenient.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 10:07:45 PM EDT
[#44]
Using the Firefox browser, you should be able to click File, then Import, then follow the prompts to what you're after.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 2:12:11 AM EDT
[#45]
You guys!!

Can you walk me through the favorite places transfer thing?

OK...I'm NOT...but assume I'm blonde....
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 8:16:31 AM EDT
[#46]
Maxthon then recently switched to Opera thinking of swithing back (primarly because of I know how to use maxton better)
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 8:33:45 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Maybe, but don't call me Shirley.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 2:28:49 PM EDT
[#48]
Firefox
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 2:30:33 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Me neither...but then again, my self esteem couldn't handle it.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 2:31:17 PM EDT
[#50]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top