Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/3/2006 2:00:39 PM EDT
I had a 9mm USP Compact a few years ago, but it didn't really impress me that much. It would rattle and the trigger didn't seem all that great. I ended up trading it for an M1A.

I was thinking about getting another one, and decided to get some input. I already have a 1911, and 5 Glocks.

Anybody got any reasons that I should or should not get a USP?
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 2:02:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Get a Sig, you will thank me later
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 2:03:06 PM EDT
[#2]
They look cool.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 2:04:20 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Which one?
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 2:04:28 PM EDT
[#4]
H&K when your ready to compromise
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 2:04:50 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't think you could go wrong with eiher. I own SIGs, Glocks and a SW99, all are fine weapons. I only held a USP and t seems well built, just like every HK pistol. I happen to be a fan of plastic and I would say get the USP if you want one...
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 2:04:50 PM EDT
[#6]
I've got one. And 2 Glocks.
I'd rather have another Glock.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 2:05:27 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

+1

I had an HK USP for about two weeks.  Hated the grip, hated the safety/decocker, hated the trigger, and in fact hated the gun.  Traded it and got a Sig 220.  About 1 million times better.  In fact, when I first picked up the Sig I pretty much heard angels singing as a heavenly light illuminated the gun as I picked it up.  Its that good.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 2:08:23 PM EDT
[#8]

H&K USP's--Worth having or not?

Not. Below is an old .jpg, several more have been added since, along with five CT's that just arrived this morning.

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 2:10:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Good
-USP has much, much better finish than SIG, but worse than GLOCK (So I am told)
-The ability to have the hammer in three different positions, with or without the safety on/off in each hammer position. And you have have up to nine other different variants.
-A patented recoil reduction system that drastically reduces wear and tear.
-Much more agressive checkering for a much better fit
-No trigger safety to mess your finger up on
-Enlarged trigger guard for use with gloves
-Actually has an external safety, you can not use it if you do not see fit
-External Hammer for double strike capabilty
-If your XD/Glock fails to fire, it will not be able to be fired until the user manually operates the slide
-This thing won't jam at all, and it backed with a lifetime warrenty.

BAD
-Doesn't use a standard rail.
-Expen$$$ive.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 2:16:26 PM EDT
[#10]
had a usp tactical, and it was a good gun, A friend bought it off me and now i have a sig220, I like both, the HK for the capacity and the sig for how it feels in my hand
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 2:17:32 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Which one?

Depends.  If you want a .45 get the 220.  The 226 comes in .357 Sig, .40 and 9mm though the 9mm Blackwater is a NICE gun though it would be a safe queen if I bought one.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 2:21:34 PM EDT
[#12]
I like the USP.

The Tactical, Match and Expert are really nice.

Also the Compacts are great.

If you want a really nice HK get a P7 or P9S
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 2:24:17 PM EDT
[#13]
If an auto loading pistol fails to fire, you tap on the magazine, rotate the ejection port down and rack, then back on target.  I've never seen anyone or been taught to use the external hammer to do diagnostics.  Tap, roll and rack are all gross motor functions with positive feedback, with practice it's very fast, cocking the hammer to fire again seems like a bad idea.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 2:24:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Mine has never jammed or failed to go bang.  

Sigs are great as well, but they don't fit well in my hands.

Rent one at the local indoor range and check them out yourself.  You'll get a dozen different answers on ARFCOM.

Mine was definitely worth the money.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 2:26:14 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Anybody got any reasons that I should or should not get a USP?

You SHOULD, because Jack Bauer has one.

Seriously, I'd like one myself, and not because of any TV show. My choice would be either the .40 Compact or the .45 Compact.

Since the subject of SIGs was brought up, I have a P-226 and a P-220. Both are excellent, and you wouldn't go wrong with either one. I prefer my P-220 (.45ACP).
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 2:27:27 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
H&K when your ready to compromise

Spelling:  When you're ready to make a point.

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 2:29:23 PM EDT
[#17]
The only thing that sucks on a USP is the trigger, even the match trigger.
Took alot of rounds but now I can shoot the damn thing.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 2:31:48 PM EDT
[#18]
I had issues with mine.  I had a Compact .40 and a Tactical.  The trigger was mushy and the bore axis too high.  The Tactical had a huge grip that made controlability a factor.  My XD45 is working out much better.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 2:40:08 PM EDT
[#19]
The best thing about the USPs, is that they can be carried cocked and locked. This alone makes them better guns than SIGs or any other DA/SA type guns.

YMMV.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 2:41:23 PM EDT
[#20]
I like USPs. I have a 45 fullsize I carry with me (sometimes on me) that I love. I've shot a USP 9C and I liked it. But, that is just me. You're asking for opinions so I'll give ya mine... I don't like SIGs. I like HK, Glock, CZ, IMI/Jericho, Steyr, BHP's, and 1911's. Also, if you are looking at HK's, definetely look at the P2000 series. Standard rails and the trigger seems improved.

Goto a range that does rentals and try one again. First 9mm I shot was a SIG and I hated it. I couldn't hit shit. I put that to being the first handgun I'd ever fired. Tried one again about 2 years later after having been shooting for 2 years and I still couldn't hit shit. It's not SIG, it's just they don't fit me. Point being, I shot it again because I liked the look and reliability of the pistol. Turns out I couldn't shoot it worth a crap and I tried a USP the same day and COULD shoot it pretty well. So I bought my USP 45F.

ETA: Just saw a suggestion on the P7 series... Honestly, the P7 series is not that nice at all. It has a light trigger with alot of take up and requires you to fully (or almost) release it to reset it. It can be trained through if you plan on using the pistol for self defence but honestly, I'd rather stick with a short reset as its what I've shot for years now. It's size is also pretty damn big for only carrying 8 rounds. It's almost the size of a glock 19 but it is roughly the same width. The gas system in it can foul up and also makes the gun hot after about 3 quick mags. The gas system also seems to make the recoil a bit sharper then most 9mm linkless browning action pistols I've shot.  What helps is that the P7 does have a very low bore axis and good grip angle. It makes the pistol very pointable and takes alot of flip out of the recoil. Basically, I bought one for 1000 and I just sold it for 950. I won't buy another unless I become rich and need a way to blow some money.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 2:43:26 PM EDT
[#21]
I love my USP and its worth every penny IMO.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 2:44:02 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
The best thing about the USPs, is that they can be carried cocked and locked. This alone makes them better guns than SIGs or any other DA/SA type guns.

YMMV.

I still for the life of me can't figure out what some people bitch so much about DA/SA.  If you practice it enough you will master it.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 2:44:36 PM EDT
[#23]
How many rounds does a USP .40 hold?
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 2:45:15 PM EDT
[#24]
I have four USP's. That would indicate that I like them.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 2:46:04 PM EDT
[#25]
I can't stand DAO.  SA or DA/SA is the only way I will go.  
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 2:46:59 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
How many rounds does a USP .40 hold?

13 +1
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 2:48:25 PM EDT
[#27]
I like mine...

It has a sloppy frame to slide fit and the trigger is horrible...

I've got lighter recoil and hammer springs in mine so, the trigger is bearable...

I like my Beretta Elite II even more...
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 2:49:08 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

H&K USP's--Worth having or not?

Not. Below is an old .jpg, several more have been added since, along with five CT's that just arrived this morning.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/AILapua/HKs.jpg

Ok, you have issues! lol Nice collection.

I have both (226 and usp9)but prefer the sig226 by a slim margin. Only because the houge grips screw on insted of the slip overs.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 2:54:13 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I still for the life of me can't figure out what some people bitch so much about DA/SA.  If you practice it enough you will master it.

Why have two different trigger pulls when you can have one consistent one?
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 2:57:24 PM EDT
[#30]
The slide on an Hk USP starts out as a 9 lb block of steel, then it is carved into a slide. The barrel is cold-steel hammer forged around an octagonal mandrel. The .45 USP will handle over 20k rounds of .45 Super with NO measurable wear effect, proven. That same test cracked the frame on a standard 1911 after only 50 rounds. Try it in a Glock, but call for an ambulance before you do so that they can already be on the way to take you and what's left of your strong hand to the hospital. Match grade trigger sets for Hk can also be had to replace the "war triggers' that come standard in Hks.

The Hk detractors in this thread have either never shot an Hk or have Hk envy because they can't afford one. And anyone who tries to compare a piece of shi'ite Glock to an Hk can blow it out their ass because that is exactly where they are pulling their information from...Period.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 2:59:11 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why have two different trigger pulls when you can have one consistent one?

Eh the two pulls don't bother me at all I think what happens is a lot of people who's first handgun is a 1911 or a Glock get used to the one trigger pull and when they get a Sig or a Beretta they become frustrated because it is so different.  I guess the pull doesn't bother me because I grew up shooting revolvers.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 2:59:58 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
The slide on an Hk USP starts out as a 9 lb block of steel, then it is carved into a slide. The barrel is cold-steel hammer forged around an octagonal mandrel. The .45 USP will handle over 20k rounds of .45 Super with NO measurable wear effect, proven. That same test cracked the frame on a standard 1911 after only 50 rounds. Try it in a Glock, but call for an ambulance before you do so that they can already be on the way to take you and what's left of your strong hand to the hospital. Match grade trigger sets for Hk can also be had to replace the "war triggers' that come standard in Hks.

The Hk detractors in this thread have either never shot an Hk or have Hk envy because they can't afford one. And anyone who tries to compare a piece of shi'ite Glock to an Hk can blow it out their ass because that is exactly where they are pulling their information from...Period.

You start out with facts and then you turn completely to shit.  
You should have quit while you were ahead.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 3:01:28 PM EDT
[#33]
My .40 USP was the most accurate .40 I have ever shot. That being said I prefer Sig for 9mm or ,40 and 1911 for .45. The USP fits well in my hand and the trigger didnt bother me but it just feels like a big gun where as Sigs feel more compact and natural
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 3:02:28 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Umm Sigs cost as much as HK's
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 3:02:54 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

And they say Colt owners are kool-aid drinkers......
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 3:06:13 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

9 pound block of steel......sure!!! Not only is that un-neccessary, it is just plain wasteful. A couple of pounds, sure. But 9 pounds??? Even the Soviets would look at that and say "That is waste, comrade!!!"

I have owned USPs, and they are decent firearms. Their DA trigger is almost universally sucky, but they can be carried the way god (and by god I mean John Moses Browning) intended, cocked and locked.

They are decent weapons and I personally prefer them to Glocks because they don't cut my hand and don't have the Glock's terrible trigger.

Nevertheless, they aren't the best pistols out there in my opinion. They are good and a very viable choice for self defense, but they are overpriced and don't really justify a price north of 600 bucks.

My USPs were reliable....but no moreso than my Glocks or my 1911 or my Beretta 92......
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 3:09:26 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

I personally shoot DA/SA guns even better than my 1911 for some reason.

The transition really has never been an issue for me or for most of the shooters I have known or worked with.

Personally I think it is overblown by folks who do not have enough trigger time.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 3:15:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 3:16:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Love mine(45F) to death.  Thinking of picking up a compact in .40
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 3:19:23 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 3:19:35 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
If an auto loading pistol fails to fire, you tap on the magazine, rotate the ejection port down and rack, then back on target.  I've never seen anyone or been taught to use the external hammer to do diagnostics.  Tap, roll and rack are all gross motor functions with positive feedback, with practice it's very fast, cocking the hammer to fire again seems like a bad idea.

What are you talking about? You can do what you just described with an HK without having to recock the hammer.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 3:24:30 PM EDT
[#42]
Owned one in .45

Good gun, to be sure, but not NEARLY the uber pistol HK would have you believe.

Traded it for a Kimber Custom CDP and haven't looked back.

If you want a polymer gun, I recommend the Springfield XD45

Just shot my XD .45 today for the first time:

Much less muzzle flip than a USP, better ergonomics than a USP, about the same trigger as a USP (Which is to say, nowhere NEAR a 1911) and pretty decent accuracy.

In short, USP's are a decent gun, but no better than any of the other similar pistols on the market.  Just hyped more by the HK Marketing Machine.

SG
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 3:30:26 PM EDT
[#43]
To many switches and levers.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 3:32:21 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

The Hk detractors in this thread have either never shot an Hk or have Hk envy because they can't afford one.

Or some of us owned one and then realized it wasn't any better than any of the other super polymer wonder guns on the market, but HK's Marketing Department was...

But hey, if it makes you feel better that your (overpriced) polymer pistol with the blocky ergonomics, schlocky, shitty trigger and, wierd assed decocker thingy and  so-so accuracy has the UBER tactical , magical Alice in Oberndorfwunderland "HK" on the side, more power to you.

But Remember:

HK: In a World of Compromise, Some Gun Makes Just Have Better Marketing Departments.

SG

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 3:40:48 PM EDT
[#45]

If you can't answer the question yourself, then you really don't need to buy any handgun, much less an H&K.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 3:45:51 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

If you can't answer the question yourself, then you really don't need to buy any handgun, much less an H&K.

Thanks for the tip.

Jeez, what the hell was I thinking starting a discussion on a discussion board.

Assuming I hadn't already owned an HK, or any other handgun, how else would you suggest I find out?

One sided magazine articles? HK advertising?

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 3:51:56 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

+1 well stated Like my usp .40 over 10,000 rnds and not a single bit of trouble........I would take it into combat anytime
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 3:56:31 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
To many switches and levers.

The nice thing is all functions can be operated on from either side of the weapon. I love it if it's to complicated for you you should stick with a single shot

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 3:56:47 PM EDT
[#49]
If you have delicate, faggoty, girly hands then a 1911 or a Glock is probably better for you than a USP.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 3:59:29 PM EDT
[#50]
All I know is that I love my USP .45F. It's a great gun.

The recoil is very nice, and the DA trigger is crappy for a reason. The SA trigger is great; you can carry this pistol cocked and locked and never need to use the DA trigger. Since the DA trigger is heavy, don't worry about accidently pulling the trigger or anything while rummaging through your pack on the battle field. The stainless steel finish on the slide is pristine, it's light- but not while loaded with 13 rounds of .45ACP.

I bought it for $800 a few years ago, but I recently saw one for sale NIB @ $650.

But thats just my USP. Your mileage may vary.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top