Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/2/2006 6:17:44 PM EDT
I know Howard is in potentially deep poo for something with stock shares. Can anyone explain?
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:25:02 PM EDT
[#1]
No.  CBS has a baseless lawsuit according to most legal analysts.  They're claiming he used their air time to promote Sirius,  helping him achieve sales goals with Sirius that got him bonuses.

His legal counter argument is that they had their finger on the button to stop him from saying anything they disapproved of for the 14 months they knew he was going to Sirius, every minute he was on the air, which they did.    They frequently would censor individual comments, and suspended him with pay for a day once for talking about Sirius too much, but then allowed him to continue talking for many months more without stopping him.

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:26:17 PM EDT
[#2]
:::Dunno:::

Publicity stunt?
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:27:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Stern is a squirming asshole and I hope he gets assfucked. End of story
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:28:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Liberal
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:30:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Pat Robertson's prayers are being answered.    hehehee
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:32:12 PM EDT
[#6]
O&A
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:34:18 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
O&A

+1
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:36:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Howard Stern is a douche.

No he's not.  He's an infected ass pimple.

Controversy!

There you go.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:38:26 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
No.  CBS has a baseless lawsuit according to most legal analysts.  They're claiming he used their air time to promote Sirius,  helping him achieve sales goals with Sirius that got him bonuses.

His legal counter argument is that they had their finger on the button to stop him from saying anything they disapproved of for the 14 months they knew he was going to Sirius, every minute he was on the air, which they did.    They frequently would censor individual comments, and suspended him with pay for a day once for talking about Sirius too much, but then allowed him to continue talking for many months more without stopping him.

Not that cut and dry.

CBS contends that there was a "secret" deal in Stern's contract whereby if he drummed up enough business for them (on CBS's airtime) before he switched over, he'd get tons of money.

BTW... Stern is a lame, one-trick pony. Was funny for the first five minutes I heard him, then nothing.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:40:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Les Moonves wants to screw over Viacom
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:41:27 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

BTW... Stern is a lame, one-trick pony. Was funny for the first five minutes I heard him, then nothing.

+10,000 its like hearing the same joke over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and .....

Many years ago I thought it was kind of funny, but anyone having an attention span even slightly better than that of a 5yr old, he gets old quickly.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:43:29 PM EDT
[#12]
I couldn't give a shit about that asshole.

I hope he goes down in flames on sirious.

ETA: The only thing I did like about "him", was that 94.1 WYSP and 92.3 KROCK were playing music. Now that he is gone, they're back to "FREE FM", which blows nuts.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:48:28 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Not that cut and dry.
CBS contends that there was a "secret" deal in Stern's contract whereby if he drummed up enough business for them (on CBS's airtime) before he switched over, he'd get tons of money.

How can you counter the fact that CBS had complete power, with a finger on the button, to stop him for 14 months, every minute he was on the air?   They're trying to wring money from somewhere now that their ratings have had a fatal coronary.

CBS is understandably bitter because the virtual lock they had on holding the #1 ratings spot they've held across the country for many years has dropped down to the teens and 20's just since January.   David Lee Roth is a complete flop in all markets.

Everyone here rubber stamp whines about Stern because he complains about the FCC and Bush, but I have no problem seeing past that and enjoying his humor, which far surpasses O&A.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:50:09 PM EDT
[#14]
I never found Stearn entertaining. Maybe it's just me...... Hey if the idiot can make a buck being an idiot more power to 'em.  It won't be my buck though.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:53:52 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Not that cut and dry.

How can you counter the fact that CBS had complete power, with a finger on the button, to stop him for 14 months, every minute he was on the air?   They're trying to wring money from somewhere now that their ratings have had a fatal coronary.

CBS is understandably bitter because the virtual lock they had on holding the #1 ratings spot they've held across the country for many years has dropped down to the teens and 20's just since January.   David Lee Roth is a complete flop in all markets.

Everyone here rubber stamp whines about Stern because he complains about the FCC and Bush, but I have no problem seeing past that and enjoying his humor, which far surpasses O&A.

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:01:46 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
O&A

Suck just as bad as Stern.

SG
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:34:45 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Not that cut and dry.

He used to be funny, 10 years ago, before he got divorced, before Jackie left, before Billy West left. That was a long time ago, he can't hold a candle to O & A at this point.

Like a Virus bitch  
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 1:12:25 AM EDT
[#18]
At this point Stern is a washed up old fart. Everyone who calls into his show is ______ the ______ . You can fill in the blanks. O&A are real talents. What club(s) does Howie talk about day after day? Scores, a strip club. What club does O&A talk about? Carolines, Laugh Factory, Comedy cellar, comedy clubs. Which is going to translate better over the chosen medium? Comedy!

Hoo hoo, tell em Fred. I invented everything.

Now to get back on track, is this going to turn into a real problem for Howie or not?
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 1:25:56 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not that cut and dry.

His show used to be one hell of a lot better than it is now.

I listened to him when he ran for governor of NY...
He ran on a death penalty platform..."A Volt for Every Vote"
He later dropped out of the race though...he was running as a libertarian..

He pledged to support Republican Christy Whitman when she was candidate for NJ governor if she would dedicate a bathroom on the NJ turnpike in his name...she won, and she did...the plaque got stolen though...

He had a moc funeral for Philladelphia morning talk show host John Debella...

He ripped Michael Jackson to shreds durring his first pedophile sex scandal....and almost got him on the show...

His show used to be a daily drama and I used to laugh my ass off every morning....

But things changed:

His show has been reduced to nothing but lesbians and fart jokes...
Stern used to be "King of all Media" but not anymore...

My prediction...He will soon be forgotten now that he is no longer on the FM dial...
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 1:29:38 AM EDT
[#20]
Supposedly CBS is mad about him drumming up.biz for
Sirrus while on his show.

He says they could've stopped him any time, which is true.

He was stopped from using various words and, doing various things over
the years, they could've stopped this too.

I simply do not get why he's so popular...I really don't.  I find
his show unlistenable.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 1:38:16 AM EDT
[#21]
Anyone else find it funny that he and Martha are on the same network?
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 1:41:31 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Supposedly CBS is mad about him drumming up.biz for
Sirrus while on his show.

He says they could've stopped him any time, which is true.

He was stopped from using various words and, doing various things over
the years, they could've stopped this too.

I simply do not get why he's so popular...I really don't.  I find
his show unlistenable.

You had to listen to him 10 years ago... he was the funniest man on the air...

Probably still has a loyal fan base...

I agree that these days his show is complete trash...
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 1:43:32 AM EDT
[#23]
Well, I was never a huge Howard fan...but would listen on occasion when driving around... and I know for the last few months before he left...he was not even allowed to saw the name Sirius... they said "eehh eehh eehh".

Basically, IMO, the people they replaced him with...did not retain the audience.  And the guy they put on in the Detroit market sucks... "Rover" is his name, and his crew are more annoying than Stern's ever was to me.

Stern's show for the most part I could listen to, at times I would flip over to another station if I didn't like the bit and come back later to see what he was saying.

The only time I listen to the radio is in the car, and it's moving. If I'm not moving, I plug in my DYD player. (I work out of a vehicle all night long)

No Expert
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:20:26 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Well, I was never a huge Howard fan...but would listen on occasion when driving around... and I know for the last few months before he left...he was not even allowed to saw the name Sirius... they said "eehh eehh eehh".

Basically, IMO, the people they replaced him with...did not retain the audience.  And the guy they put on in the Detroit market sucks... "Rover" is his name, and his crew are more annoying than Stern's ever was to me.

Stern's show for the most part I could listen to, at times I would flip over to another station if I didn't like the bit and come back later to see what he was saying.

The only time I listen to the radio is in the car, and it's moving. If I'm not moving, I plug in my DYD player. (I work out of a vehicle all night long)

No Expert

Rover's Morning Glory replaced Stern in the Cincinnati market too. I've given it about 4 hours of my ears, and I've realized it's the single most boring thing I've ever seen or heard in the broadcast media. There is no humor, no interesting comments, no news or sports, no tapes of weird people doing weird things, no guests, no highlights, no nothing to hold my interest.

There are at least two people on that show, the angry guy and the girl, who have absolutely terrible broadcast voices - sreechy, strident, annoying.

I, for one, miss Stern. I'm thinking of buying in to Sirius, both for Stern, and to get away from boring AM/FM altogether.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:50:50 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Not that cut and dry.

How can you counter the fact that CBS had complete power, with a finger on the button, to stop him for 14 months, every minute he was on the air?

He was unbeknownst to CBS using CBS airtime to build Sirius' customer base prior to leaving CBS because he had a contract with Sirius to gain a whole lot of money if he could build Sirius subscriber list before he went over.  

Basically he was secretly fulfilling a contractual clause he had with Sirius using CBS airtime.

It wasn't just that he was using CBS airtime to talk about his move to Sirius, it was part of a contractual agreement he had with Sirius to do that and that was not disclosed to CBS nor on the air to the audience.

That smells bad.... but then everything about Howard Stern's show smells bad.

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:58:01 AM EDT
[#26]
CBS is not known for their integrity.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:00:00 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
CBS is not known for their integrity.

Neither is Howie
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:06:53 AM EDT
[#28]
I used to listen to him most mornings, but I didn't feel like paying for radio.  Now I find myself not missing him at all.
I do like Corolla in the morning.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:08:41 AM EDT
[#29]
Howard Stern sucks.

It is amazing that someone can get that rich by saying "So take your clothes off" 12,359 times.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:10:43 AM EDT
[#30]
The Pests have infiltrated CBS, as they have arfcom.

The beginning of a New World Order.

Quoted:

Quoted:
O&A

+1

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 9:08:33 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
The Pests have infiltrated CBS, as they have arfcom.

The beginning of a New World Order.

Quoted:

Quoted:
O&A

+1

+1
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:04:45 AM EDT
[#32]
We can only hope.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:06:56 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

You are wrong on two counts.

He did alot of work to promote Sirius,  far beyond what he did on CBS's morning show air time.  He made a huge number of media appearances, including being invited to other CBS shows like 60 minutes, as well as many other television talk shows, where once again CBS, and all other talk shows, let him talk freely about Sirius.

He got NO additional money, he only got paid the previously agreed upon sum at an earlier date, according to his contract.   So he made NO additional money for his promotional efforts.

I can't help it if you lack a sense of humor, but please don't distort the facts.  Leave that to CBS and copycats like O&A.

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:19:56 PM EDT
[#34]
Just remember that everone copies the man who invented everything.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:28:11 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not that cut and dry.

Aint that the truth. Howard WAS funny when he actually did bits and real comedy years ago. last couple of times I heard him all he talked about was himslf.  Havent listend to him since he made the switch to Sirius --but if its anything like his AM/FM days even a die hard listener cant tell a new live show from a canned "best of" Howard took a sick day edition.
(Imus used to be a little funny in the am too..... now hes just old, bitter, cranky and mumbly)
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 5:26:04 AM EDT
[#36]
I listen to Howard but I think that Bubba The Love Sponge is funny as hell. I am a longtime Sirius subscriber.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 5:31:26 AM EDT
[#37]
F Stern  
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 5:39:15 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
I couldn't give a shit about that asshole.

I hope he goes down in flames on sirious.

ETA: The only thing I did like about "him", was that 94.1 WYSP and 92.3 KROCK were playing music. Now that he is gone, they're back to "FREE FM", which blows nuts.

Yeah, they're doing that on 101.5 here in Phoenix too. I've never heard of this "Free FM" BS, wtf? They play decent music on the weekends, but during the week we get a bunch of dumbfucks with talk shows, like Adam Corolla in the morning, and Heidi, Frosty, and Frank in the middays.

The only plus is that now we get Tom Leykis.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 5:53:02 AM EDT
[#39]
Howard Stern is another IDIOT who is making big bucks for being an IDIOT by IDIOTS who think other IDIOTS want to listen to him............

Stern is a moron........but he's a rich moron........and there's alot of those around these days!
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 6:02:24 AM EDT
[#40]
Give it 6 more months and it will be ---"Howard who?"

his target audience isn't likely to pay for something others offer for nothing
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 6:05:00 AM EDT
[#41]
We will not know much....

Howard Stern was under an employment contract unlike the vast majority of us here who are either students, self-employed, or an at-will employee. Without a copy of that contract, it is tough to say either way.

Stern is a one-trick pony and is popular for those that cannot get out of their adolesence period.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 6:05:10 AM EDT
[#42]
Howie is a has-been, washed up, unfunny, liberal fuckhead, look at him!

O & A Party Rock!!!!

Link Posted: 3/4/2006 7:30:49 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You are wrong on two counts.

He did alot of work to promote Sirius,  far beyond what he did on CBS's morning show air time.  He made a huge number of media appearances, including being invited to other CBS shows like 60 minutes, as well as many other television talk shows, where once again CBS, and all other talk shows, let him talk freely about Sirius.

He got NO additional money, he only got paid the previously agreed upon sum at an earlier date, according to his contract.   So he made NO additional money for his promotional efforts.

I can't help it if you lack a sense of humor, but please don't distort the facts.  Leave that to CBS and copycats like O&A.

You're gonna hear from my lawyers.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top