Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/2/2006 3:33:08 PM EDT
You know, I understand being cautious and mindful of potential threats, hell I am scanning most of the time I am outside the house, and will check out the windows from time to time.  But this is taking it a bit too far.

Am I wrong?

Band Sticker on Bike Causes Bomb Scare
Mar 02 6:26 PM US/Eastern
Email this story    

ATHENS, Ohio

A sticker on a bicycle that said "this bike is a pipe bomb" caused a scare Thursday at Ohio University that shut down four buildings before authorities learned the message was the name of a punk rock band, a university spokesman said.

The sticker on the bike chained outside the university-owned Oasis restaurant near the center of campus attracted the attention of a police officer about 5:30 a.m., spokesman Jack Jeffery said.

Police blocked streets around the restaurant and the Columbus police bomb squad came from about 65 miles away.

The bomb experts hit the bike with a high-pressure spray of water, then pried it apart with a hydraulic device normally used to rescue accident victims trapped in cars, acting Athens Fire Chief Ken Gilbraith said. Once they had it open, they saw there was no bomb.

The buildings, including some classroom facilities, were reopened after a couple hours.

Dean of Students Terry Hogan urged students to be more careful when showing support for the band from Pensacola, Fla.

University police interviewed the bike's owner then released him, Jeffery said. Police are still investigating.

An e-mail seeking comment was sent to Plan-It-X Records, listed on a Web site for the band as its record label. The label does not have a published phone number.

The poor bastard probably just lost a $1,500 carbon fiber Trek.

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 3:47:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Is there some sort of national LEO contest for the most spectacular paranoid over-reaction to terrorism?
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 3:56:49 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
You know, I understand being cautious and mindful of potential threats, hell I am scanning most of the time I am outside the house, and will check out the windows from time to time.  But this is taking it a bit too far.

Am I wrong?

Yes.  And so are they.  You live in frikkin Colorado.  The closest things you have to terrorists are rabid bears.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 3:58:38 PM EDT
[#3]
I know if I ever plan to commit a terrorist act, I'll be sure to have a sticker made so everyone knows what I'm up to.

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 3:59:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 4:00:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Used to work for an ultra liberal "Boojie" owned bidness. They hired lots of really stupid people. One complained that I was a terrorist b/c I looked at gun and knife websites on my computer during my lunch break. Then she called 911 b/c "terrorists set fire to the building"; over toasted bagel in the break room toaster was the culprit. Your tax dollars at work, btw; DOL contractor.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 4:01:02 PM EDT
[#6]
This is the world we are living in now.

Better get used to it.

I wonder if the terrorist in the middle east are using those stickers on ther IED's
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 4:06:13 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
this bike is a pipe bomb

if you are stupid enough to put this on your bike and park it in a public area you deserve to get it dissaseembled by the bomb squad. Who the hell knows what it is nowdays. frankly the city should have billed the dumbass for the cost of the bomb squad responding.

I'd love to disrupt his bike.  
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 4:07:18 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Am I wrong?

Yes.  And so are they.  You live in frikkin Colorado.  The closest things you have to terrorists are rabid bears.

No, I think that dude who sells the Kaboom cleaner lives near here....oh wait....Kaboom...lemme make a quick call...be right back....
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 4:09:40 PM EDT
[#9]
At my former company during the anthrax scare, one of the female QA engineers contacted the police because a "strange powder" was on her work area. The MA State Police showed up in full hazmat gear to investigate the "powder."

Turned out to be from a broken ceiling tile. Fucking idiots.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 4:12:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 4:15:15 PM EDT
[#11]
He deserved what he got.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 4:16:57 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
this bike is a pipe bomb

if you are stupid enough to put this on your bike and park it in a public area you deserve to get it dissaseembled by the bomb squad. Who the hell knows what it is nowdays. frankly the city should have billed the dumbass for the cost of the bomb squad responding.

big +1.

they should have kicked him out of college for being a MORON.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 4:24:34 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm still cracking up over the anti-fingernail clipper paraanoia at airlines.  I always thought that they could arm all the  passengers with a fingernail clippers and save the taxpayers from the expense of the security guards.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 4:26:17 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Is there some sort of national LEO contest for the most spectacular paranoid over-reaction to terrorism?

FREEEEEEEEEZE MUTHA F@CKER.....!
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 4:26:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Talk about darwinism, they pried a potential bomb apart with a mechanical device.  Bunch of winners I tell ya.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 4:29:40 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

The poor bastard probably just lost a $1,500 carbon fiber Trek.

thats an awfully inexpensive CF MTB
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 4:40:57 PM EDT
[#17]
So let me get this straight....some guy thought his bicycle was a desert cake made out of pipes?
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 4:50:53 PM EDT
[#18]
I guess i better take off my I am a terrorist tee shirt.  
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:10:04 PM EDT
[#19]
When the average LEO press release calls a "Arsonal of Weapons" A 10/22, sks, and a case of ammo.  I really have no trouble believing that they suffer from boordom, and crave the attention.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:19:42 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
When the average LEO press release calls a "Arsonal of Weapons" A 10/22, sks, and a case of ammo.  I really have no trouble believing that they suffer from boordom, and crave the attention.

Good point.

This guy is probably at home snickering that some punk yuppie had his bike cut with the jaws of life.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top