Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/2/2006 12:39:09 PM EDT
Worst pain of my life, I was feeling perfectly fine, then, within 5 min I was doubled over on the floor of our office in pain, apparently caused by a kidney stone attack. They took me to the hospital, hooked me up to an IV with fluids and pain meds. I have been stabbed, beaten with a bat, had tons of broken bones, and all of that was childs play compared to this. I always heard it was the closest thing a man can go through compared to a woman giving birth, now I believe it. They said it was the stone passing from the kidney to the bladder that was the cause of the extreme pain. They gave me a screen to piss through in hopes that the stone will be cought for research once it passes. From what I understand, the worst of the pain is over, however,  I heard its a bitch when you piss it out, feels like you are pissing out a boulder. They did hook me up with 12 Oxycondin*SP, so I should be good through the weekend. Anyone have any insight into these things? I dont drink ANY cola products, I do however ingest a fair ammount of milk and dairy products, which is where it most likely came from. Also, my fluid intake is pretty high.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 12:41:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Age?

Drinker?

Sorry to hear of your luck
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 12:41:47 PM EDT
[#2]
good luck to you and I wish you a speedy recovery
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 12:44:05 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Age?

Drinker?

29, no other health issues, no weight issues, im 6'2, and about 200lbs, and only casual drinking, maybe once a month.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 12:44:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Same thing happened to me thirty years ago.  I pissed the little boulder out and I could feel the pain move down as it exited my body.

You are right...it is excrutiating.  The smartass hot nurse said now I knew what it felt like to have a kid.

Glad I'm a man...
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 12:46:00 PM EDT
[#5]
I heard they can xray for others, & use sound waves to break them up. I knew a guy that used to have them regularly, & that's what he told me anyway.

Sorry for you pain, & I hope it's not re-occuring for you, like it was for him.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 12:46:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Quit complaining, I once pissed out a kidney stone and then skipped it across a lake.  It just about filled my hand.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 12:51:03 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Age?

Drinker?

Alcohol in beverages may actually help prevent stones.  Fact is LA is in the heart of the kidney stone belt of the US.  We do cases there, and all over the south.  I mean thousands a day.

Many things can cause stones, with no particular one singled out.  Some folks metabolism and body chemistry actually contributes to stone formation and need to take special meds to prevent them.  Take a look at your overall diet and liquid intake.  Listen to the advice of your Urologist, not intarweb myths.  Milk and dairy are on the list, along with hard water.  Stones are typically calcium based.

The "sound waves" are ESWL.  Extracorporeal Shock Wave Lithotripsy.  I just worked on a system a few hours ago in Houston.  I hope you have insurance if you have to go this route, it is not cheap.    We also have lasers that do the same thing, but go up your plumbing......

Hopefully they have already done some film shots of your kidneys and other plumbing.  

INFO LINKY
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 1:01:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Yes, they hurt like a mother.  It also means you're not drinking enough water.
I was on vacation in Virginia when one decided to make its way down.  I was on the floor of the ER it hurt so much (worse than my first one).  Turns out that kidney stone had a diamater of 3cm.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 1:05:32 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Age?

Drinker?

Alcohol in beverages may actually help prevent stones.  Fact is LA is in the heart of the kidney stone belt of the US.  We do cases there, and all over the south.  I mean thousands a day.

Many things can cause stones, with no particular one singled out.  Some folks metabolism and body chemistry actually contributes to stone formation and need to take special meds to prevent them.  Take a look at your overall diet and liquid intake.  Listen to the advice of your Urologist, not intarweb myths.  Milk and dairy are on the list, along with hard water.  Stones are typically calcium based.

The "sound waves" are ESWL.  Extracorporeal Shock Wave Lithotripsy.  I just worked on a system a few hours ago in Houston.  I hope you have insurance if you have to go this route, it is not cheap.    We also have lasers that do the same thing, but go up your plumbing......

Hopefully they have already done some film shots of your kidneys and other plumbing.  

INFO LINKY

Thanks for the link man, I can tie myself to a lot of those causes. Im scheduled to see the Urologist tomorrow for a follow up.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 1:14:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Chuck Norris once passed a kidney stone. The likenesses of several presidents were later carved into its face. Tom Clancy was said to be, "unimpressed."
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 1:15:32 PM EDT
[#11]
...... Yep hurts like a MOFO.....kinda like getting stabbed in the back while someone is wrenching on your balls. Mine was 2mm, never did see it pass.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 1:22:12 PM EDT
[#12]
I have had 3. I actually wanted to die. Passed first one, second one was removed by the Dr. It wouldnt pass and was only the size of a grain of rice. Passed the third on my own. This was all in about a 2 to 3 week period.

I drink more water now and take a water pill. I also take a potassium pill also.

They gave me the same thing for pain and it didnt work well unless I took to much, which is what I did. I hurt so bad I didnt care.

Good Luck
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 1:32:02 PM EDT
[#13]
I feel your pain brother, i had two myself.
all i can say is drink more water, and stay away from cranberry juice, it only makes things worse.
if it's not that big,(the stone, that is) the worst is probably over
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 2:08:39 PM EDT
[#14]
I had a small one a few years back, like 1mm dia.  The pain wasn't horrible, it felt more like a continuous stomach cramp I couldn't get away from.  When I finally peed it out, I didn't really even feel it.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:07:39 PM EDT
[#15]
I've had two, at ages 20 and 28.  There are different kinds that can be caused by different diets.  The test they run will tell you.  i passed one, the other had to be removed by "manipulation," which involves the space shuttle robot arm stuck into your dick
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:22:52 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Age?

Drinker?

INFO LINKY

The only kidney stones I have ever had in my life were when I was stationed at Ft Polk in La. I gotta believe there is some truth to what was said here.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:33:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Do to being diabetic now, I get them about once a year. My body builds up the proteins and then blam. First time(two years ago) I spent 3 days awake, miserable but still managing to goto work everyday. On the 4th day, I finally broke down and went to the ER where they reported after a scan that I must have just passed it. This past year was extra miserable as I was way north in Wisconsin with a 40 pound pack on and 2 days in it got to the point where I almost couldnt wear my pack. 2 days later and plenty of swearing I felt much better.  Just a fact of life for me..

On the bright side, I got a neat little strainer that is meant to be pissed in to catch it when it happens again.. I guess at least I got a prize out of it..

Woot.. Dan
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:37:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Pizza causes kidney stones also.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:41:26 PM EDT
[#19]
I passed a 3mm stone.
It was actually about 2x3mm oval.

Damn thing is a cross between a brillo pad and a wadded up piece of sandpaper.
No wonder they hurt so bad.

My first symptoms were the feeling of having to pee just minutes after going.

Then when I went, it was just a tablespoon of blood.

I about freaked.

I drove myself to a clinic.  I didn't want to wait for an ambulance to get there.

I was married to my ex, but she wasn't home.  My parents picked me up and drove me to the
hospital.  

I'll never forget my dad.  "do you wanna get there slow and easy, or fast and bumpy".

Morophine didn't do squat.  

Then the pain suddenly went away on it's own.

The next day, the same thing happened, only this time the pain went away before I
could get to the doctor's office.

Urologist had me scheduled to go in to have it removed.
And not a fun way.  He was going to go up the hard way and grab it.

The night before the procedure, I drank a half gallon of ice tea, waited a half hour,
and jogged around the block.  It came out on it's own.

EDIT:  my nurse said she had a kidney stone, and a child.  She said the stone hurt worse.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:42:13 PM EDT
[#20]
I asked my cousin what it was like to pass stone one time. He got a piece of paper and said

"Imagine trying to pass a rock this big O through a hole this big o"

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:44:45 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Pizza causes kidney stones also.

so does breathing.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:47:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:48:33 PM EDT
[#23]
i have passed SIX kidney stones. i had my first at 16. im 21 now.

all but one passed within 24 hours. one took 5 days. i still worked 2 of those 5 days. i dont even bother going to the hospital anymore after i went to a urologist for the 5 day episode and after lots of tests and pissing in a big jug at work all day all he said was "drink more water".

edit: i have caught 3 of them in the little piss filter thing. i would keep htem on my desk but  they just turn into dust in a couple of weeks.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:59:32 PM EDT
[#24]

drinker?

...maybe if you believed in jesus a little more... these things wouldn't happen

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:00:50 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
www.urology-malaysia.org/k_stonef1.JPG

AAH!   What the hell is that???!!!
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:04:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Damn thats gotta hurt!   Please tell the story of the bat beating and stabbing too!
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:09:05 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Damn thats gotta hurt!   Please tell the story of the bat beating and stabbing too!

glockcop?
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:10:54 PM EDT
[#28]
kidney stones suck. I'm glad I never had any.
Get better dude.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:26:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:12:05 PM EDT
[#30]
That big thing is a staghorn calculi - basically a big stone that takes up residence in the draining portion of the kidney (right before the ureter) and actually molds itself to the contours thereof - these types of stones require surgey or ESWL- you don't piss them out w/o some help.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 8:08:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Yeah, those staghorn calculi have to be blasted into tiny bits before they come out.  If you're wondering what a stone looks like that you will probably (hopefully) pass w/o intervention, try these pictures.

Your urologist may order an IVP/IVU (IntraVenous Pyelogram/Urogram) or a CT to see if it is still there or if there are any others.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 9:19:59 PM EDT
[#32]
I had one last year that struck at work. Got to take a ambulance ride to the ER. That dam thing hurt worse than when I broke my leg and it was facing backwards. Hope to never get another one but with my luck I won't bet on it.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 3:38:59 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Hope to never get another one but with my luck I won't bet on it.

Once you get them, you are more prone to repeats.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 3:53:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Here's another one from the intranets
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 3:54:42 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Age?

Drinker?

29, no other health issues, no weight issues, im 6'2, and about 200lbs, and only casual drinking, maybe once a month.

Do you drink a lot of tea?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top