Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/2/2006 9:55:03 AM EDT
Besides that "Undisclosed location", is there an official Vice Presidential residence like the White House? Or does he just crash at an apartment over the garage at the White House? Or live wherever he wants to?

Just curious.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 9:55:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Grounds of the US Naval Observatory, in DC.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 9:56:51 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't suggest you drop by unanounced.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 9:57:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Do people on AR even know about this other site called "Google"?

I put in "vice presidential residence" and what do you know, the first hit was the answer.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 9:58:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 10:02:54 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I put in "vice presidential residence" and what do you know, the first hit was the answer.

But then I wouldn't get the pleasure of reading your pointless response.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 10:06:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 10:07:39 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

But then I wouldn't get the pleasure of reading your pointless response.

I guess I see your point, I only posted to see my avatar.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 10:09:20 AM EDT
[#8]
What's really cool is not having rely on google to answer the question.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 10:11:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Because the Vice President is in charge of all of the vice in the land, he resides in the penthouse suite of Madame Dolinski's House of a Thousand Delights.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 10:51:05 AM EDT
[#10]
its called "Blair house" it is on the grounds of the Naval Observitory in NW washtington DC. massachusetts ave if i remember right.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 10:53:07 AM EDT
[#11]
In a van, down by the river.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 10:55:32 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted: its called "Blair house" it is on the grounds of the Naval Observitory in NW washtington DC. massachusetts ave if i remember right.
There was a pretty bad attempt on former POTUS Truman (IIRC) that took place at Blair House. I think there were 2 or 3 Cuban/Commies that killed 4 or 5 cops before the event ended. I think one of the bad guys survived and the other were killed.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 10:57:21 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
its called "Blair house" it is on the grounds of the Naval Observitory in NW washtington DC. massachusetts ave if i remember right.

No, Blair House is the President's guest residence in DC.  It's where President Truman was living when he was nearly assassinated.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 10:57:37 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
In a van, down by the river.

Living on a steady diet of government cheese?
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 11:11:02 AM EDT
[#15]
In July 1974 Congress designated a house on the southeast corner of 34th Street and Massachusetts Avenue in Washington DC where the vice president of the United States would live. Located on the grounds of the United States Naval Observatory, the house was built in 1893 for the Superintendent of the Observatory.

Before 1974, vice presidents either bought a temporary home in Washington DC or stayed at hotels.

Gerald and Betty Ford were the first family eligible to live in the house. But the resignation of President Richard Nixon occurred before renovations on the house were completed, and the Fords headed to the White House. New Vice President Nelson Rockefeller, of the wealthy Rockefeller family, used the house mainly to entertain.

The first full-time residents were Walter Mondale, President Jimmy Carter's vice president, and his wife, Joan, in 1977. Every vice president since has lived there.

The house is a three-story, white-painted brick, Victorian-style home with 9,150 square feet of floor space. It served as the home of the chief of the Naval Observatory beginning in 1929. This is why people often call it the Admiral's House.

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 11:16:34 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, Blair House is the President's guest residence in DC.  It's where President Truman was living when he was nearly assassinated.

On Penn. Ave. NW, between 17th & 16th Streets NW.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 11:19:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Dick Cheney doesn't sleep, he plugs into a local outlet and recharges his fuel cells.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 11:33:34 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Dick Cheney doesn't sleep, he plugs into a local outlet and recharges his fuel cellspacemaker.

I think Dick Cheney could be the next Chuck Norris.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 11:39:21 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Dick Cheney doesn't sleep, he plugs into a local outlet and recharges his fuel cellspacemaker.

I think Dick Cheney could be the next Chuck Norris.

Only with more political power and a larger colostomy bag
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 11:41:57 AM EDT
[#20]
I remember hearing that the VP's house has an atrocious electric bill, like $200,000 annually.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 11:45:04 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Dick Cheney doesn't sleep, he plugs into a local outlet and recharges his fuel cells.

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 11:46:24 AM EDT
[#22]
recently: the dog house
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 11:49:53 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I remember hearing that the VP's house has an atrocious electric bill, like $200,000 annually.

When you're the Vice President, you're allowed to grow your own reefer.

Kharn
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 11:52:40 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you can see Dick Cheney, get behind him. If you can't see Dick Cheney, you may only be seconds away from getting blasted.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 11:55:49 AM EDT
[#25]
There were a lot of reports of muffled blasts, ground tremors, etc., and a lot of hevy equiptment around that property last year or two.  I think the square footage went WAY up, and most of it underground and hardened.  
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 11:58:42 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 12:06:03 PM EDT
[#27]
i stand corrected. thank you. right location, wrong house.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 12:07:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Mysterious Blasts at Cheney House
11-Dec-2002

Vice President Residence
People living near Vice President Dick Cheney are hearing mysterious, earth-shaking blasts coming from the U.S. Naval Observatory, which has been the site of the vice president’s residence since 1974. The Navy says the explosions are part of a classified construction project. Navy spokeswoman Cate Mueller says it’s an "infrastructure improvement, a utility upgrade," but it may be an underground bunker.

The neighborhood includes the Washington residence of former President Bill Clinton and Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton. David Gillard, the observatory's superintendent, has sent the local neighborhood association a letter saying that "due to its sensitive nature in support of national security and homeland defense, project specific information is classified and cannot be released."

Joseph Rieser, who lives a half block away, describes the blasting as "almost like thunder because it rolls and it lasts a noticeable period, probably several seconds." Blasts can occur at any time of the day or night.

Besides an underground bunker for Cheney, neighbors have other theories of what the blasts may be all about. One is that the government is digging tunnels to spy on nearby embassies, while another is that they’re building a helicopter hangar.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 12:19:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Seeing as how Cheney is actually an undead wraith, set to eat the babies of liberals and consume their souls - he doesnt "live" anywhere.

I  hear he sleeps upside down in the oval office and helps proofread for GWB.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 12:21:01 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Seeing as how Cheney is actually an undead wraith, set to eat the babies of liberals and consume their souls - he doesnt "live" anywhere.

and prechews his pretzels into a soft gooey batter
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 12:35:37 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh man - THAT is gross!

Now I got some sort image in my head of GWB in a giant nest with Cheney being the momma bird...

ugh - where is my drill bit?
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 12:40:43 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh man - THAT is gross!

Now I got some sort image in my head of GWB in a giant nest with Cheney being the momma bird...

ugh - where is my drill bit?

I'm not done!

and prechews his pretzels into a soft gooey batter and gingerly motions to the little bird to come over, where he regurgitates the masticated and digestable salty wad into the hungry mouth.

I think I just grossed myself out....  
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 12:42:12 PM EDT
[#33]
URANUS.  
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 12:45:46 PM EDT
[#34]
He actually lives in an "undisclosed location" ....
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 12:51:42 PM EDT
[#35]
He has a house in Jackson Hole, Wyoming
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 12:57:23 PM EDT
[#36]
I heard that the V.P. got himself a new place on Gunbroker.

Anyone up for some quail hunting?
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 12:59:49 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Anyone up for some quail hunting?

QUAIL HUNTING RULE #1

FRONT TOWARD ENEMY
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 1:02:17 PM EDT
[#38]
Cheney's Home Sending Bad Vibrations
Construction Blasts Have D.C. Folks Shuddering, Speculating

By David Nakamura
Washington Post Staff Writer
Sunday, December 8, 2002; Page A01

One man thought the noise was a sonic boom.

Another guessed he was hearing rolling thunder.

When a woman feared it was a bomb or an earthquake, she called the police. But they had no answers, either.

Nicholas Friendly and ANC Commissioner Rosalyn P. Doggett say there are two or three blasts a day at Vice President Cheney's home in Northwest D.C. (Marvin Joseph -- The Washington Post)

No one in the Massachusetts Avenue Heights neighborhood of Northwest Washington knows what is going on at the house of their neighbor, the vice president of the United States.

But one thing is certain: They're tired of the daily blasting at the Naval Observatory that has shaken houses, rattled windows and knocked mirrors off the walls.

"None of the neighbors object to any construction that is necessary in the Navy's view," said Nancy Nord, a community activist who lives on Observatory Circle. "What we do object to is that there is no sense of the magnitude, no warning about something so intrusive to our lives and no clear sense how long this is going to go or when it's going to stop."

The blasts, which last three to five seconds apiece, have been going off two or three times a day -- as early as 7 a.m. and as late as 11 p.m. -- for nearly two months, residents say. But neighbors have received so little information from government officials about the top-secret project that speculation is running wild.

The leading theory: A security bunker is being built for Vice President Cheney. The second most-popular guess: The government is digging tunnels to spy on nearby embassies. In third place: A helicopter hangar is under construction.

As the government roots out terrorists around the globe and gears up for a possible military confrontation with Iraq, nothing is out of the realm of possibility, neighbors say.

"After 9/11, when you hear a big blast for the first time, you wonder what is going on," said Iza Warner, who had a mirror fall off the wall of her home on Davis Street, a few blocks away from the construction site. Warner called the police after guests at a dinner party became frightened by the racket.

"One guest said, 'Oh, my God, what is going on -- an earthquake?' " Warner recalled. "She said it sounded just awful. I called the police, and they looked around but they couldn't tell us anything."

Thus far, the federal government's only response to the residents has been a three-page letter that the observatory's superintendent, David W. Gillard, sent to the advisory neighborhood commissioner, Rosalyn P. Doggett, on Nov. 20.

The blasting could last eight more months, Gillard said in the letter, but the Navy has attempted to limit noise by silencing backup alerts on trucks and removing most diesel-powered electric generators from the construction site.

He did not disclose the nature of the project, however.

"Due to its sensitive nature in support of national security and homeland defense, project specific information is classified and cannot be released," Gillard wrote. "In addition, please understand we are severely constrained by operation requirements to perform this project on a highly accelerated schedule; therefore, it will not be possible to limit construction activities to the daytime as you request."

Doggett said the letter raised as many questions as it answered. "I got back an information sheet that I thought was just not pertinent," she said. "They do not have to tell us exactly what is happening, but they do need to minimize the impact."

The matter has alarmed D.C. Council member Kathy Patterson (D-Ward 3), who said she has asked Deputy Mayor Margret Nedelkoff Kellems to press White House officials to work out a resolution.

"If the federal government is not being a good neighbor, we'll elevate the issue to a level where something can be done," Patterson said. "We want to know what we can know about what they're up to and if they are able to be a bit more responsive."

The Naval Observatory, which opened at 3450 Massachusetts Ave. in 1893, houses many of the Navy's precious instruments used for measuring time and astronomy. The house on its grounds was designated as the vice president's residence in 1974.

If residents' speculation is accurate and construction workers are digging deep into the ground, the project would be going through about 35 feet of common sand and gravel, according to federal officials at the U.S. Geological Survey. Anything beyond that depth would hit tonalite, an intrusive igneous rock similar to granite and common to this area.

Phyllis Bonanno said her 89-year-old mother, who lives with her on Observatory Circle, is "quite upset when the boom goes off."

"Everybody appreciates that there's always national security issues," Bonanno said. "On the other hand, this is a neighborhood. We're owed the courtesy of an explanation."

To Davis Street resident Joe Rieser, the noise is "quite remarkable. It's like thunder -- it rolls. The windows rattle. It's not something I'm used to. I'm concerned whether there are cracks in my house."

Navy spokeswoman Cate Mueller described the work as "infrastructure and utility upgrades." She said that officials are continually monitoring the project and have not discovered any physical damage to buildings on observatory grounds. The vibrations from the blasts are below regulatory standards for construction in the city, she added.

"If people came to us with damage, we would work with them on the claim," Mueller said. "Some neighbors are concerned. We take that seriously. We're doing what we can to make things better."

Longtime residents said they have never heard such sounds coming from the Naval Observatory. Because they live in the nation's capital, however, many say they are resigned to living in a secretive world.

"Yeah, I'd like to know more," said Carol Hindle, who lives on Davis Street. "But I do not trust that what I hear would be the whole truth. This is Washington, after all."

And because it's Washington, the situation also is laced with political humor.

"I just got back from Connecticut," said Warner. "When I mentioned this to my nephew, he said maybe [Cheney] is drilling for oil."

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 1:06:05 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Cheney's Home Sending Bad Vibrations
Construction Blasts Have D.C. Folks Shuddering, Speculating

By David Nakamura
Washington Post Staff Writer
Sunday, December 8, 2002; Page A01

One man thought the noise was a sonic boom.

Another guessed he was hearing rolling thunder.

When a woman feared it was a bomb or an earthquake, she called the police. But they had no answers, either.

Nicholas Friendly and ANC Commissioner Rosalyn P. Doggett say there are two or three blasts a day at Vice President Cheney's home in Northwest D.C. (Marvin Joseph -- The Washington Post)

No one in the Massachusetts Avenue Heights neighborhood of Northwest Washington knows what is going on at the house of their neighbor, the vice president of the United States.

But one thing is certain: They're tired of the daily blasting at the Naval Observatory that has shaken houses, rattled windows and knocked mirrors off the walls.

"None of the neighbors object to any construction that is necessary in the Navy's view," said Nancy Nord, a community activist who lives on Observatory Circle. "What we do object to is that there is no sense of the magnitude, no warning about something so intrusive to our lives and no clear sense how long this is going to go or when it's going to stop."

The blasts, which last three to five seconds apiece, have been going off two or three times a day -- as early as 7 a.m. and as late as 11 p.m. -- for nearly two months, residents say. But neighbors have received so little information from government officials about the top-secret project that speculation is running wild.

The leading theory: A security bunker is being built for Vice President Cheney. The second most-popular guess: The government is digging tunnels to spy on nearby embassies. In third place: A helicopter hangar is under construction.

As the government roots out terrorists around the globe and gears up for a possible military confrontation with Iraq, nothing is out of the realm of possibility, neighbors say.

"After 9/11, when you hear a big blast for the first time, you wonder what is going on," said Iza Warner, who had a mirror fall off the wall of her home on Davis Street, a few blocks away from the construction site. Warner called the police after guests at a dinner party became frightened by the racket.

"One guest said, 'Oh, my God, what is going on -- an earthquake?' " Warner recalled. "She said it sounded just awful. I called the police, and they looked around but they couldn't tell us anything."

Thus far, the federal government's only response to the residents has been a three-page letter that the observatory's superintendent, David W. Gillard, sent to the advisory neighborhood commissioner, Rosalyn P. Doggett, on Nov. 20.

The blasting could last eight more months, Gillard said in the letter, but the Navy has attempted to limit noise by silencing backup alerts on trucks and removing most diesel-powered electric generators from the construction site.

He did not disclose the nature of the project, however.

"Due to its sensitive nature in support of national security and homeland defense, project specific information is classified and cannot be released," Gillard wrote. "In addition, please understand we are severely constrained by operation requirements to perform this project on a highly accelerated schedule; therefore, it will not be possible to limit construction activities to the daytime as you request."

Doggett said the letter raised as many questions as it answered. "I got back an information sheet that I thought was just not pertinent," she said. "They do not have to tell us exactly what is happening, but they do need to minimize the impact."

The matter has alarmed D.C. Council member Kathy Patterson (D-Ward 3), who said she has asked Deputy Mayor Margret Nedelkoff Kellems to press White House officials to work out a resolution.

"If the federal government is not being a good neighbor, we'll elevate the issue to a level where something can be done," Patterson said. "We want to know what we can know about what they're up to and if they are able to be a bit more responsive."

The Naval Observatory, which opened at 3450 Massachusetts Ave. in 1893, houses many of the Navy's precious instruments used for measuring time and astronomy. The house on its grounds was designated as the vice president's residence in 1974.

If residents' speculation is accurate and construction workers are digging deep into the ground, the project would be going through about 35 feet of common sand and gravel, according to federal officials at the U.S. Geological Survey. Anything beyond that depth would hit tonalite, an intrusive igneous rock similar to granite and common to this area.

Phyllis Bonanno said her 89-year-old mother, who lives with her on Observatory Circle, is "quite upset when the boom goes off."

"Everybody appreciates that there's always national security issues," Bonanno said. "On the other hand, this is a neighborhood. We're owed the courtesy of an explanation."

To Davis Street resident Joe Rieser, the noise is "quite remarkable. It's like thunder -- it rolls. The windows rattle. It's not something I'm used to. I'm concerned whether there are cracks in my house."

Navy spokeswoman Cate Mueller described the work as "infrastructure and utility upgrades." She said that officials are continually monitoring the project and have not discovered any physical damage to buildings on observatory grounds. The vibrations from the blasts are below regulatory standards for construction in the city, she added.

"If people came to us with damage, we would work with them on the claim," Mueller said. "Some neighbors are concerned. We take that seriously. We're doing what we can to make things better."

Longtime residents said they have never heard such sounds coming from the Naval Observatory. Because they live in the nation's capital, however, many say they are resigned to living in a secretive world.

"Yeah, I'd like to know more," said Carol Hindle, who lives on Davis Street. "But I do not trust that what I hear would be the whole truth. This is Washington, after all."

And because it's Washington, the situation also is laced with political humor.

"I just got back from Connecticut," said Warner. "When I mentioned this to my nephew, he said maybe [Cheney] is drilling for oil."

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:30:54 PM EDT
[#40]
I used to live a couple of blocks away from the Naval Observatory in DC.  One day in 1986 I was walking home from the bus stop and walking past the back part of the Observatory and along comes running VP Bush and 4-5 SS guys.  The VP says "Hi" to me and I say "Hi" back.  He's a lot bigger in real life than he looks on TV.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:43:30 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Mysterious Blasts at Cheney House
11-Dec-2002

Vice President Residence
People living near Vice President Dick Cheney are hearing mysterious, earth-shaking blasts coming from the U.S. Naval Observatory, which has been the site of the vice president’s residence since 1974. The Navy says the explosions are part of a classified construction project. Navy spokeswoman Cate Mueller says it’s an "infrastructure improvement, a utility upgrade," but it may be an underground bunker.

The neighborhood includes the Washington residence of former President Bill Clinton and Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton. David Gillard, the observatory's superintendent, has sent the local neighborhood association a letter saying that "due to its sensitive nature in support of national security and homeland defense, project specific information is classified and cannot be released."

Joseph Rieser, who lives a half block away, describes the blasting as "almost like thunder because it rolls and it lasts a noticeable period, probably several seconds." Blasts can occur at any time of the day or night.

Besides an underground bunker for Cheney, neighbors have other theories of what the blasts may be all about. One is that the government is digging tunnels to spy on nearby embassies, while another is that they’re building a helicopter hangar.

This is when they were testing the Halyburton machines.  Honest.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top